Author Topic: I found some different looking traps in my goody basket.  (Read 2096 times)

surflizard

I took the time to lay out some of the traps I got in trade for a dock repair. Some I recognize and some I've never
even heard of. The 2 hour glass shaped traps in the upper right hand of the photo are made by the Continental
Tip up company  ??? The rectangular traps on the bottom are Wind Cheaters  ???

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Re: I found some different looking traps in my goody basket.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2010, 07:32 AM »
They look well cared for. Nice trade. In Michigan we can only run three lines per person. If I had that many traps, I would need more friends.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2010, 07:46 AM »
Howdy Michiana, how goes the battle ? Here in NH, I can run 6 traps on non Lake trout/Salmon managed
lakes for the warmwater species. I still don't use more than 4 traps anyways, except when I've got the grand kids to chase the flags. It can get really crazy with the flags popping and everyone screaming FLAG, FLAG, FLAG !!!
When that happens, I just stay out of their way and laugh my butt off   :roflmao: :roflmao: :icefish:

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2010, 08:12 AM »
I have three Grandkids. Only one is old enough to fish and he loves it. Can't wait for this season and a break from this heat. Bring on the cold!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty JT glad to have ya aboard ! I gave the traps to a young guy thats in a tough situation with his young daughters health issues. I wanted to to help him out, so I set him up with everything he needed to get started on the ice ! Sorry bud !

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2010, 09:52 PM »
In a serious vein, that's what it's all about, Surfy. Seems like fishpeople (Politically correct for "Fisherman" to those who are "watching"...) sometimes seem to have the biggest hearts, IMO. Just gave a new tabletop Hockey game on Monday that had just been sittin' here, and some of my gear to a family of 3 boys who I just found out are probably gonna lose their Mom to cancer this weekend. Maybe in some small way it'll help, I don't know... I sure hope so.   :-\
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2010, 11:11 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty JT glad to have ya aboard ! I gave the traps to a young guy thats in a tough situation with his young daughters health issues. I wanted to to help him out, so I set him up with everything he needed to get started on the ice ! Sorry bud !

Nice job man, It's always nice to help out when you can.  :bow:
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2010, 03:40 AM »
Ditto  :clap: it is actions like this that make me proud to be an Ice Shanty member. Surflizard when you use any of those tip ups for the first time watch out for freeze up;trip problems. Depending on how long and where they were stored you might have to change the lubricate in them.

Jtlambo welcome to Ice Shanty as you can see from this thread a lot of good people  are members. Just remember it is only a matter of time before you become an ice fishing addict/Iceaholic. By the location in your avatar it appears you are in California check EBay or the for sale section of this site for equipment,you might possibly find some in the bait -tackle shops of northern part of state I know they snow ski in that area. There was a post a month or more ago from a member in Arizona who fish in the mountains of that state buys gear from Cabala's and similar websites/outfitters.
 Steve

Offline blazer4

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2010, 04:05 AM »

good for you, that was very nice of you!!!

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2010, 04:43 AM »
Thanks guys. I had been helped in the past by my elder generation of icefishermen when I was getting started, It is my time to pay it forward.  When I gave Mike the gear, I took the  time to show him what he needed to do to get everything ready for the ice. Now when ever I run into him, he gives me a progress report on his gear and I give him encouragement and answer any questions he has. It is really cool to see the excitement in his eyes when he says he can't wait to get on the ice !  ;D
 Way to go Reb! :thumbsup: Hopefully it will give those boys some distraction away from their moms unfortunate situation. Sometimes I think that its not the actual gift you give, it's them realizing that someone is thinking about them during their tough times.

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2010, 04:57 AM »
nice swap and a great thing to do with them .  Here in Vermont we can have 8 lines on all lakes except Champlain there we can run 15

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2010, 05:04 AM »
Welcome to the Shanty Webster, Glad to have ya aboard. 15 lines, I bet that gets real interesting when you get into the fish !!  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2010, 06:45 AM »
Surf,
I don't want to see you get trouble some day......

For non lake trout and salmon lakes/ponds you are only allowed to use up to 6 traps (not counting cusk traps), unless they are Maine bordered waters, then only 5.

~Jeff

surflizard

« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Sinnian.  My bad, I hadn't realizied that had been changed. I'll delete it.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2010, 07:36 PM »
15 tip-ups  plus two handlines per person on champlain need the power auger so we can make it look like a cornfield  ;D

Offline Skidda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Thats why they call it fishin, not catchin........
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2010, 07:47 PM »
15 tip-ups  plus two handlines per person on champlain need the power auger so we can make it look like a cornfield  ;D

Would take half a day setting and the other half picking up!

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2010, 07:51 PM »
I took the time to lay out some of the traps I got in trade for a dock repair. Some I recognize and some I've never
even heard of. The 2 hour glass shaped traps in the upper right hand of the photo are made by the Continental
Tip up company  ??? The rectangular traps on the bottom are Wind Cheaters  ???
(Image removed from quote.)

Hey Sulferized - Any idea where I can get some of those large yellow reels?  My dad built 15 traps (5 x him, my brother and me) back in '80'.  I love the traps, but reels are starting to break down and would love to replace a few.
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

surflizard

« Reply #17 on: Oct 08, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Hey Brace, The only place I've found them is yardsales , I don't know if they still make em ? Sorry bud .

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Hey Brace, The only place I've found them is yardsales , I don't know if they still make em ? Sorry bud .

Thanks!!  I figured that was the answer, but had to ask the question anyway.
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2010, 10:42 AM »
i have continental tip-ups. they work well, and no wind flags!

you can find tip-up spools.

http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Tip-Up-Spools_p.html
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Would take half a day setting and the other half picking up!

That's what a Nils Master is for. ;D

Offline jtlambo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay thirsty my friends....
« Reply #21 on: Oct 16, 2010, 12:33 PM »

Thanks anyway surflizard! It sounds like they found a good home! And good for you for helping out a fellow hardwater fisher. I'm just trying to locate some more continentals and I saw your picture that had some in it. Thanks

Offline jtlambo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay thirsty my friends....
« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2010, 12:43 PM »
Ditto  :clap: it is actions like this that make me proud to be an Ice Shanty member. Surflizard when you use any of those tip ups for the first time watch out for freeze up;trip problems. Depending on how long and where they were stored you might have to change the lubricate in them.

Jtlambo welcome to Ice Shanty as you can see from this thread a lot of good people  are members. Just remember it is only a matter of time before you become an ice fishing addict/Iceaholic. By the location in your avatar it appears you are in California check EBay or the for sale section of this site for equipment,you might possibly find some in the bait -tackle shops of northern part of state I know they snow ski in that area. There was a post a month or more ago from a member in Arizona who fish in the mountains of that state buys gear from Cabala's and similar websites/outfitters.
 Steve
Hey Mrclean thanks for the warm welcome. And Its too late Im already an addict! lol Dont let mt current location fool you, I am in the Marine Corps and stationed in CA. But maine is my home, and I have fished many lakes in maine, and on the East coast. On my way back there Nov first my new orders are taking me to VA, so I will only be like 12 hours from home, and believe that I will be hitting the hardwater as much as I can this winter! Its been a while and I miss it alot. I check Ebay religously, but I am looking for the Continental traps in particular. I had a set that a friend of the family gave me years ago. They were what I cut my ice fishing teeth on, but that was awhile ago and the traps have since had some complications and are no longer fishable. Just looking to find some more of them for parts or to fish. Thank you.  :tipup:

Offline Cold is Good

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Make sure you live a good story.
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Those hour glass shaped traps are great for strong winds conditions and are very durable.  Be careful of the flags, I have 10 of these traps and am down to only 3 flags left.  They tend to fall off in unsuspecting places!!  Have fun, the great season is just around the corner!!

surflizard

« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2010, 04:43 AM »
Welcome to the Shanty CIG, Glad to have ya aboard !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.