Author Topic: Berkley Spooling station Question  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When Hell Freezes Over... I'll Ice Fish There To!
Berkley Spooling station Question
« on: Feb 27, 2010, 11:33 PM »
Anyone have any good tricks to using the Berkley Spooling Station?

I seem to get better results the old school way of spooling, but since I invested the money in it I don't want to give up on it just yet.

Getting kinks/twists when I put line on SPINNING reels with the station.

Gotta have tight lines to catch em  ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Berkley Spooling station Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2010, 12:10 AM »
Anyone have any good tricks to using the Berkley Spooling Station?

I seem to get better results the old school way of spooling, but since I invested the money in it I don't want to give up on it just yet.

Getting kinks/twists when I put line on SPINNING reels with the station.

Gotta have tight lines to catch em  ;D

doesn't work worth crap with spinning reels.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hawkeyejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have ice will fish it,flagup,and catch a BIG one
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2010, 12:41 AM »
i spool my spinning reels off of the bottom of spool and keep alot of tension on spool
have ice will travel catch a big one

Offline sam heaton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2010, 07:39 AM »
    Put your spool with the line on the holder so the twist is in the same direction as your reel turns.

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:58 AM »
    Put your spool with the line on the holder so the twist is in the same direction as your reel turns.
I dont get it????
 I have one and would like this tip explained further

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Thanks guys.. keep em coming!

Offline sam heaton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2010, 11:31 AM »
   Put your line on the holder & pull off a couple of feet. Give it a little slack & you will see a twist to the line. On mine the twist is counter clockwise if the line is over the top of the spool. My reels (spinning) turn counter clockwise when they are in the reel holder so I fill until 1/8" of the spool is left showing. A squirt of Reel Magic will help.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2010, 11:46 AM »
Don't get it  ??? good gawd, it has no ignition switch, no clutch or stickshift, how did you learn to drive.  ::)   When you place the new spool on the silver rod, paper side of the spool to the right and it causes line twist after a few turns of reeling on new line, take the spool and load it on the rod with the paper side to the left.   ;)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2010, 12:00 PM »
I dont get it????
 I have one and would like this tip explained further

I've used mine for years and have NO problems...I put my spool of line on the holder so the line comes off the top... put plenty of tension on the spool with supplied spool "springs"...line spool up straight with reel...crank away at a "medium" speed. First thing I ALWAYS do when I hit the water is let out about 100' or so of line behind the boat, and reel it in. That takes care of most twists. I re-spool ALL my reels every year (15 reels..just did 6 yesterday) and have never had a twist problem. Good luck! ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Don't get it  ??? good gawd, it has no ignition switch, no clutch or stickshift, how did you learn to drive.  ::)   When you place the new spool on the silver rod, paper side of the spool to the right and it causes line twist after a few turns of reeling on new line, take the spool and load it on the rod with the paper side to the left.   ;)

Hey Champ... Don't you think I would have tried that before posting.......  Grin

I have tried it with some lines (mostly trilene ice and vanish) that will not spool correctly either way. i end up taking it off the spooler and putting it on the ground and going old skool! P=line seems to work fine in the spooler

The reason I dont want to give up on it, is because I know when you get them dialed in properly, it is much better than just putting the spool on the ground.

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2010, 01:15 AM »
Only use the machine for putting line on your baitcasting reels, For spinning reel go back to placing your spool flat on the floor and and attaching the line to reel, make four or five turns of the handle to see if line kinks, if so flip the spool on the other side,if not continue reeling. Or purchase the portable spinning device that basically sets up the spool of line properly for spinning reel.About 7-12 dollars.

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2010, 09:35 AM »
Only use the machine for putting line on your baitcasting reels, For spinning reel go back to placing your spool flat on the floor and and attaching the line to reel, make four or five turns of the handle to see if line kinks, if so flip the spool on the other side,if not continue reeling. Or purchase the portable spinning device that basically sets up the spool of line properly for spinning reel.About 7-12 dollars.

portable spinning device what is that??? I dont want to high jack the post. I am just trying to learn something, Thanks

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2010, 01:20 PM »

portable spinning device what is that??? I dont want to high jack the post. I am just trying to learn something, Thanks

Interested too. Thanks Guys

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:37 PM »
I have had the best luck placing the spool of line in a bucket of warm water.  You have to watch for twist just like spooling it off of the floor, but I have found I get absolutely zero line twist this way.  Let the line soak in the water for a while before starting to spool it up. 

-Jeff

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:11 PM »
I have had the best luck placing the spool of line in a bucket of warm water.  You have to watch for twist just like spooling it off of the floor, but I have found I get absolutely zero line twist this way.  Let the line soak in the water for a while before starting to spool it up. 

-Jeff

Worth Trying for Sure!

You gonna be on the ice this weekend Jeff?

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:32 PM »
I'm looking for a place to fish on Saturday.  You?

-Jeff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.