Author Topic: Ice sled plans  (Read 21074 times)

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice sled plans
« Reply #30 on: Oct 29, 2004, 10:14 AM »
I think lexan is not as flexible as UHMW. I am not sure about the cold weather performance of each but I know that UHMW is what is used as runners on dog sleds.

You might want to attach some sort of runner to the bottom of your sled. Try some UHMW plastic. It is what is generally used. There are some commercially available runners or go here http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for UHMW to make your own.

The UHMWPE material is a good idea but is it regularly available at a retail outlet?  I think that Lexan would be a good alternative and much more available while providing good wear resistance.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 29, 2004, 10:16 AM »
Put that UHMW on the bottom and I would hazard to bet that it would pay for itself in a few years. It is quite wear resistant and quite slippery. Your sled will glide over the snow and ice quite a bit better.

The way I look at it is a jet sled is only 40$ and I can get a solid two seasons out of it before dragging it across pavement and rocks eventually wears holes in the bottom corners.  I'll just buy a new one every couple years and remount my rack system on it.  A lot of the places I icefish involve parking lots and dragging the sled across large expanses of pavement and that's what wears out the plastic so quickly especially when the sled is loaded to the gills with all my stuff.  Aquaview, vexilar, power auger, 45lb shanty.  That jet sled gets heavy.  :P

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #32 on: Oct 29, 2004, 10:47 AM »
thanks alot Fatboy - what I'm worried about is the line coming off the reel to the first guide - doesn't it rub on the pvc, or do you cut a long enough slot, that reaches to the first guide?  Am I confusing, or does that make sense?

Rich, it makes sense.  I haven't had any problems with the slot causing problems with line wear.  The problem is that the line pulls against the rod tip and that creates the risk of breaking your rod tips.  Currently, to prevent this from happening, I take my rigs apart or simply open the bail and let the line go slack.  A longer slot may be the solution along with 2 strips of velcro to sandwich the reel seat.  I'm going to experiment with that idea.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline IcePirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 30, 2004, 10:04 AM »
Red Eyes,
I'll get you some info when I get the photos online. I don't have dimentional drawings, but the pics might help. The design really depends on how much of what you want to carry.

Bob

(Image removed from quote.)
[quot

Looks awfully heavy, do you pull that by hand , atv or sled , how does it travel if there's deep snow on the ice? We had 3 to 4 feet of snow on some lakes last year so even with a wheeler it was difficult travel , I've seen guys pulling something simialr , but the box was lifted off the ski's at least 12", so as to cut through snow . Do you wax the ski's? and with what if you do . thanks
C'mon fishy's , C'mon - South Shore Diehard since 66' - Vexilar , Clam corp., Ski-doo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.