Author Topic: Dropping the bait  (Read 1210 times)

Offline dperch

• IceShanty Rookie
Dropping the bait
« on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:30 PM »
I was out recently on a lake with average size fish of 4 lbs. Out of 3 flags I had, only 1 stayed long enough to be hooked. That rig was a quick strike rig with a single hook in the front and treble in the back. The dropped baits had size 8 treble hook quick strikes. Were the fish not aggressive enough to take the bait and keep it or did they feel the hooks and spit it? Do I need to get to my lines quicker? Thanks.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Dropping the bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2013, 03:12 PM »
Probably not, could be to things, may be bass taking the bait they drop alot or you may be trying to take them too soon.  Pike will attack the bait, swin a distance stop spit the bait and turn it so they can swallow it head first.  they will then start to slow swim away thats when you get'm.  Good luck
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:09 PM »
     Try a circle hook for the heck of it.

WS

Offline Hardwata

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:16 PM »
had this happen last weekend, as soon as they felt the tension on the line they would spit the hook, so  I took the split shot off 
 the leader and gave em 6-7' of slack. never lost another fish that day.

Offline skavenger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:29 AM »
I had a similar problem earlier on in the season.  Made the switch to cicrle hooks and when I pullled up the tip up I let out some line and seem to have more success and a lot less dropped bait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.