New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: OTTER XT1200 PRO  (Read 1309 times)

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
OTTER XT1200 PRO
« on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:20 PM »
Ok this is going to sound stupid, but I can't make up my mind on whether to get the otter xt1200 pro cottage or the cabin.  I narrowed it down between these 2, due to warmth and durability.  Now my issue is I fish alone and was leaning towards the 1 man cottage but.....I can't stand up in it.  It's only 5'2"!!  The Cabin is another 20lbs heavier but I can take the seat out which would save weight and being 6' tall, I could stand.  What do ya think?
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: OTTER XT1200 PRO
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:27 PM »
and there is the 100-150 dollar difference...

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:29 PM »
I think a 2 man flip over is the perfect size for 1 man no matter what make. Just my opinion.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:37 PM »
that's a very good point.  I do have a 2 man clam that I bought for that reason.  I figured the cottage would have been a happy medium but again, very good point.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:04 PM »
I think a 2 man flip over is the perfect size for 1 man no matter what make. Just my opinion.

I have the XT650 and use it primarily as a 1 man which is why I bought it. Also for the Otter quality. I have a Frabill Commando and have had other Frabill shelters but IMO, are not of the same sturdy construction as Otter Shelters. I use the XT650 most often with my sled or ATV as it is quite a load to drag by hand unless I'm on clean ice. The extra room it affords inside is such a pleasure!

MK

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:29 PM »
Do they still sell the 650?  If not, what otter sled does it closely resemble?

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:36 PM »
Looks like the 650 resembles the cottage.  You can't stand up in it can you?

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:51 PM »
I saw a 650 for sale at Fish307 yesterday! I'm 6' 1" and can stand inside mine.

MK

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:58 PM »
I think the 650 came in different sizes right?  Cottage, cabin etc..  I guess I need to decide if standing up is worth the 200 bucks.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:03 PM »
I think the 650 came in different sizes right?  Cottage, cabin etc..  I guess I need to decide if standing up is worth the 200 bucks.

Yes! Well worth it IMO!

MK

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:04 PM »
Go with a Big one man flip over. 45-60 lbs.  Easy to drag and  heat.  No you can't stand up.  But it is the way to go if your solo.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:27 PM »
 what vehicle do you drive and are you pulling it out on the ice by hand or with the machine?

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:41 PM »
Pickup.  Mostly dragging by hand.  If I could ever get someone to take a trip with me I'd use my atv on bigger water. I guess 99% by hand.  I'm 5'9" so I could at least stand to stretch my legs of I just kept my head bendt. Idk.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:01 PM »
I think the cottage is 82 lbs

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:25 PM »
 Well, here is what I can tell you. I started out with a cottage and then shortly there after liked it so much that I bought a resort. I tow both of them behind the wheeler or snowmobile. Sometimes I take the cottage by hand  but with snow on the ice, it can be a bear. Last year I found a lodge for $700 and just couldn't pass it up. Now it has become my one man and the cottage is collecting dust most of the time.  I would say for you being 6 foot tall, the cabin would be the best choice for sure. Hook sets in the cottage can be a pain with the low ceiling. Don't get me wrong, the cottage is a great tent though.  If I were to pull them by hand, I would look into building a low profile Smitty sled. Maybe make it so that you can raise it and lower it off of the skis with the pull of a pin or two. Otter sleds are heavy SOBs. I actually have an Eskimo one Man that is my foot tent.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:00 PM »
 ???ya just opened up a whole new can.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:03 PM »
???ya just opened up a whole new can.
Just buy one of everything! Problem solved. ;D

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:13 PM »
Lolololol!  That's what's gonna happen till I use something more than the other.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:17 PM »
I was really trying to lose weight and keep durability, while still not popping my groin out putting it in my truck. I could get the cabin but it would be a warmer more well made than the clam, but heavier. If I did that, would the hyfax kit help with dragging by hand on heavy snow? I think I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:23 PM »
I think I'm gonna contact otter and tell them I want the cottage in a 6' height.  Maybe they'll make a one man next year like that.  It would be perfect.  So much for saving weight.  Time to man up.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:39 PM »
Just asked them to make the cottage in 6'.  We'll see!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:52 PM »
 Have you looked at the hideout at all? It's not as tall as the cottage, but I think it is way bigger as far as fishing area in front of you. Seems to be more like one of the bigger tents, just cut down width wise.  To be honest, I wouldn't worry so much about the height. If you feel like you need to stand up, go out and take care of business. A lower ceiling height will be a lot easier to heat with your Mr. buddy heater As well.  Here is another option. When I am fishing out of my car, I actually bring my Otter resort XTH hub shelter. Couple that with a strike master glide light sled that I have tricked out and I am able to fish in at least as good if not better conditions than I do out of my flip over shelters.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:00 AM »
I have the xt650 cottage and was looking at the hub to add to the collection. 

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:21 AM »
Just sold a cottage and bought a cabin pro sunday. My rod tip always hit the door on the cottage, drove me nuts. Gonna use it as a 1 man the majority of the time. Taking a seat out should shed a couple of the 20lb difference. Im not worried bout the weight.

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:38 AM »
Well, here is what I can tell you. I started out with a cottage and then shortly there after liked it so much that I bought a resort. I tow both of them behind the wheeler or snowmobile. Sometimes I take the cottage by hand  but with snow on the ice, it can be a bear. Last year I found a lodge for $700 and just couldn't pass it up. Now it has become my one man and the cottage is collecting dust most of the time.  I would say for you being 6 foot tall, the cabin would be the best choice for sure. Hook sets in the cottage can be a pain with the low ceiling. Don't get me wrong, the cottage is a great tent though.  If I were to pull them by hand, I would look into building a low profile Smitty sled. Maybe make it so that you can raise it and lower it off of the skis with the pull of a pin or two. Otter sleds are heavy SOBs. I actually have an Eskimo one Man that is my foot tent.

Prospector has the grits of owning a cottage. I have the cottage 1200 pro and I love it.  I am 6 foot myself and really don't have an issue with standing up. When I feel the need to get the kinks out I just flip it back or use the door, walk around a bit and then go back to sitting and fishing. I love the room I have in it! when I am fully deployed as I can it, I have a camera, X67, heater, 3 holes and a bucket in front of me. Makes it alittle hard to get to the door but I manage. Prospector also said its a bear to pull with snow on the ice. I would say that it more like a stubborn mule! So I have the smitty sled too. Great set up! I transport every thing in my ford explorer. I keep every thing in 3 buckets so just remove them to make it lighter to get in an out of the SUV.
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:11 AM »
Cabin it is then.  What's this smitty sled you're talking about? Does it make it easier to pull through the snow?

Offline tarmstrong24

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't see that from your couch!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Any interest in selling that cottage then!?!?!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:24 AM »
Any interest in selling that cottage then!?!?!
I would imagine shipping costs would not make it a very good deal for either of us. If you are looking for one, I will keep my eyes peeled for a deal for you though.

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:32 AM »
Cabin it is then.  What's this smitty sled you're talking about? Does it make it easier to pull through the snow?

just do a search on smitty sled and you will be overwhelmed! basically, it a pair of skies with a platform 4 to 6 inches in height. limits the contact with the ice. prevents the snow for building up in front of you sled. 
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:32 AM »
Thorne Bros has them on sale

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.