Author Topic: 13 Fish Free Fall  (Read 11834 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: 13 Fish Free Fall
« Reply #30 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:35 PM »
there's not much to the free fall action on the free fall ghost. just has an open bearing inside the spool. i would not add any thing to it.

you could use your freezer to check on it if your working with it.

mine has a warped spool brand new.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2019, 02:11 PM »
just got off the phone with 13 fishing and they said anyone having questions or issues to reach out to them at

[email protected]

steve is going to personally take care of my reel and replace it with new and make sure the new one is good.
it came from gander and they had them all thrown into boxes, so guessing weight sat on it all off season and warped it.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:26 PM »
Caught a few 20"+ walleye and 28" pike this past weekend on upper red lake with my free fall ghost. Had no problem with the drag, never broke a fish off on 4lb test.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:30 PM »
Caught a few 20"+ walleye and 28" pike this past weekend on upper red lake with my free fall ghost. Had no problem with the drag, never broke a fish off on 4lb test.

Smokin...... ::)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2019, 04:49 PM »
Does anybody else think its ridiculous to have to disassemble a $100+ reel and perform maintenance right out of the box?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #35 on: Dec 05, 2019, 04:56 PM »
All the inlines suck imo

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #36 on: Dec 07, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Does anybody else think its ridiculous to have to disassemble a $100+ reel and perform maintenance right out of the box?

Not at all.  The correct terminology is performance tuning.  Even a spinning reel, dirt cheap $15 one can be optimized for performance in the right hand.  So can a $500 reel.  There is nothing wrong with fishing the reel right out of the box, that's if that's what one wants.

Often times a better performing lubricant can make a difference over that of the standard manufacture's lubricant.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2019, 04:00 PM »
Not at all.  The correct terminology is performance tuning.  Even a spinning reel, dirt cheap $15 one can be optimized for performance in the right hand.  So can a $500 reel.  There is nothing wrong with fishing the reel right out of the box, that's if that's what one wants.

Often times a better performing lubricant can make a difference over that of the standard manufacture's lubricant.
which begs the question. They know the conditions the reels would be used in. Do they save that much on the bottom line by not putting in some cold weather lubricant?
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:42 PM »
All my inlines are torn down, buffed, and polished then oiled and grease and reassembled. 

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2019, 09:37 AM »

Glad there is some cheaper options this year
Got this on black Friday for 40$
My son(13) got the pickle last year and after trying it on some awesome crappie action I had to have one!
Not for every fish but they have an advantage in some spots 😎

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 08, 2019, 09:53 AM »

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 08, 2019, 10:36 AM »
That is a HAWG of a crappie! Nice bucket of fine eating right there.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Dec 08, 2019, 07:14 PM »
free fall trick shop limited edition.

ice fishing show had lots of different free falls.

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 08, 2019, 07:56 PM »
Thanks
I err Santa has a trick shot loaded in the sleigh already 🎣

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Dec 09, 2019, 08:24 PM »
which begs the question. They know the conditions the reels would be used in. Do they save that much on the bottom line by not putting in some cold weather lubricant?
Keep it safe! JDL

I have no clue as to why CEO's don't listen to their engineers about certain products.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 09, 2019, 10:05 PM »
I purchased couple of these last season and like using them.   Around here our walleye average is under 18”.   Looking to be taking couple trips to walleye destinations and wonder how well the drag works on some larger eyes.   Anyone have experience with these?

Will they work. Yes. If you have the higher end free fall it seems the drag is a little better.

From my personal experiance. I found that the inline reels drags are not the smoothest. I kinda jumped on the "inline" reel craze for awhile, and had about 10 of them from the various companies.

I've tried/ran the BB6061 reels, then the newer BB6061 silver one, a frabill 371, the tear drop, the one 3 decent, and a few others. Last year tried the high end free fall.

For the most part, most of the inline reels are off balance and the drags leave plenty to be desired. I found they work decent for panfish in deeper water, and I found the free fall to work best in that situation. I've pretty much sold off my other inlines on Craigslist.

Personally, when walleye fishing I prefer a good spinning reel with a few ball bearings, and a good drag for walleye fishing over the inlines.

In your case, just spool up some 6lb line on the free falls service them with some Lucas reel oil and they should work fine.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 09, 2019, 10:14 PM »
Try this Black Betty. Blast to fish.

I've got one of those and two of the No. 8 code blue reels that are the plastic version of that. Absolutely the bomb when fishing 15ft or less for gills, crappies, and perch. Paired on some HT ice blues rods they are a great panfish setup.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 11, 2019, 11:26 AM »
Keep it safe! JDL

Exactly.  Paying a premium price should allow you to have the optimum performance from the get-go.  If it's a $15 reel, I understand going into it that I may need to tune it up.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 11, 2019, 11:28 AM »
I've got one of those and two of the No. 8 code blue reels that are the plastic version of that. Absolutely the bomb when fishing 15ft or less for gills, crappies, and perch. Paired on some HT ice blues rods they are a great panfish setup.

Also works great in 30+ fow during late ice, the 1:1 retrieve helps bring them up slowly for a much better survival rate. This is my go-to reel, I run them on 3/4 of my main set ups
Da Pack!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Dec 11, 2019, 01:28 PM »
Exactly.  Paying a premium price should allow you to have the optimum performance from the get-go.  If it's a $15 reel, I understand going into it that I may need to tune it up.

That's not how performance tuners think.  It's a little different.  They wouldn't waste time on reels less than $100.  They would spend their time and money on those expensive reels.  Mostly well over $300 and most of them are doing it on $500+ reels.  Makes me wonder if they actually fish with the end results.

I just took a couple of pointers from some of those guys and apply it in a practical way for myself.  That being tuning up a cheap reel will get me so far as simple operations and functions.  However tuning up an expensive reel, get's me far more results that can actually be applicable to real field use.  And a lot of it is simply just cleaning out the original manufacture's lubricant and replacing it with a higher quality lubricant that allows ball bearing to operate much more efficiently for the spools in bait casting reels. 

As for spinning reels, it's cleaning and re-lubing that line roller.  If it's got a bearing, it works so much better.  However most spinning reels, under $100 don't even have a bearing in there.  It's probably just a plastic bushing.  Why don't manufacture just put a low friction nylon bushing in there?  It would solve 99% of the spinning reel's performance.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:23 PM »
That's not how performance tuners think.  It's a little different.  They wouldn't waste time on reels less than $100.  They would spend their time and money on those expensive reels.  Mostly well over $300 and most of them are doing it on $500+ reels.  Makes me wonder if they actually fish with the end results.

I just took a couple of pointers from some of those guys and apply it in a practical way for myself.  That being tuning up a cheap reel will get me so far as simple operations and functions.  However tuning up an expensive reel, get's me far more results that can actually be applicable to real field use.  And a lot of it is simply just cleaning out the original manufacture's lubricant and replacing it with a higher quality lubricant that allows ball bearing to operate much more efficiently for the spools in bait casting reels. 

As for spinning reels, it's cleaning and re-lubing that line roller.  If it's got a bearing, it works so much better.  However most spinning reels, under $100 don't even have a bearing in there.  It's probably just a plastic bushing.  Why don't manufacture just put a low friction nylon bushing in there?  It would solve 99% of the spinning reel's performance.

We're saying essentially the same thing.  It seems like it would be good for business to spend 5% more on the product to make it perform 20% better.  Those are obviously arbitrary numbers, but still, the point is that a little extra could go a long way.

Offline grumpy grandpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 30, 2019, 05:27 PM »
what reel is that icephishwyo?
steve

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 30, 2019, 05:44 PM »
what reel is that icephishwyo?

Sportsman's direct - Trigger Dropper

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #53 on: Dec 30, 2019, 08:00 PM »
I'm kinda suprised that they have this much interest in the inlines yet. I thought it was a dying fad........

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Dec 31, 2019, 01:53 AM »
We're saying essentially the same thing.  It seems like it would be good for business to spend 5% more on the product to make it perform 20% better.  Those are obviously arbitrary numbers, but still, the point is that a little extra could go a long way.

yea...but CEO's don't think that way vs real end users.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 04, 2020, 05:15 PM »
Like was mentioned...

Clean and grease with a lightweight low temp grease.

I also like to use 6lb P-Line.

If there are Lakers or Pike on the menu I opt for 8lb P line.

I have landed 15 -20 Lakers and Pine on 6 lb P-Line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.