New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Warm after the cold  (Read 706 times)

Offline Skunker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • All I want is fish with Teeth
Warm after the cold
« on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:09 PM »
Well as we all know across NY and probably everywhere else the weather is suppose to get into the 50's.  Now that many waters are getting some safe ice. Well as a fishermen that has limited experience on the ice I was wondering what some of you think this weather will do to the ice.  Whether is be make it unfishable or maybe the snowpack on top will gradually melt away and act as a protective layer preserving some ice enough to be safe.  I know it all depends on how thick the ice is now but I was just curious since I haven't gone enough to know what will happen.  Well thanks for any info.

Skunker
100% Catch and release!!!!!!!!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: Warm after the cold
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:21 PM »
They may get sloppy and the lakes may rise a bit from run off and what not but the main ice on the lakes should be good. Big thing is be careful. Most of the lakes around me are around 8+ inches and up north I know they are much more.Its only going to be warm for a couple days and thats even if the weather man is right.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:25 PM »
5 inches or more should be ok will hurt oneida where there is only 3 or 4 but willget rid of any snow and that is good

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:27 PM »
depends on how much ice you have to start with and how warm it gets. this early, if the snow melts (no slush) and turns cold again, it should be ok. (unless you get snow). wait and see what the weather does and be careful. i'm still waiting for ice :( :( :(

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:30 PM »
They say the lows at night are going to be below freezing so i guess thats a good thing. Be carfull of the shore line it might get weak and start to break away from shore. ;)

Offline Skunker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • All I want is fish with Teeth
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:37 PM »
Thanks alot for the info yeah i found that out this weekend when I got one of my boots wet right on the edge when I was leaving.  Still a scary feeling.  But hopefully the ice stays good because I want to get out a lot this winter. I know its upstate NY and the cold is always right next door if not on top of us.
100% Catch and release!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.