New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: WNY Walmarts  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
WNY Walmarts
« on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:40 PM »
I used to buy some of my Ice fishing gear years ago from Walmarts in the WNY area around Rochester.
Then they just stopped selling it altogether for a number of years.  This year, I was surprised to see a fairly good supply of equipment and jigs (mostly HT products) and at fair prices.  Today, I was at the Canandaigua Store and asked the sporting goods manager why the sudden change this year?  He said that the powers that be at Walmart had prevented them from getting the stuff because it had to go to stores in the Adirondacks where they actually use it. 
This year, they convinced them to let them sell stuff again, and then we get this crappy warm weather.  While I still support my local tackle stores and bait shops, it sure is darn convenient to be able to pick up stuff at the local Walmart, that I might only think of getting at BPS or Gander which is a much longer trip, while shopping for groceries or clothes.  It might not hurt to pick up a few things from them next time you are there just so we don't lose them as a resource again.  The other nice thing is they are open 24 /7, so if you need something, like a license, rod, or tip-ups  for a buddy, early in the morning before a trip, you got a place to pick it up.  And always support your local bait shops too.  They are the real guys on the front lines for us.
Good luck.
Norman J. Schrader

Offline OGGYDOGGY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
Re: WNY Walmarts
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:50 PM »
I agree I get some of my best lures there. esspecially the cheap crank baits that I drag behind the boat every year and actually do very well with them. I can never find #10 treble hooks there . >:( >:( >:(

JJ

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Walmart sucks. ;D

Offline smithcreekfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish control my brain
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:02 PM »
Warsaw had some stuff around Xmas

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Walmart sucks.

Please clarify.  What is your stance on this subject ?   :woot:

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

JJ

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:56 PM »
There are two of them near Glens Falls now, you can drive from one to the other in 5 minutes. ??? ;D

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:59 PM »
There are two of them near Glens Falls now, you can drive from one to the other in 5 minutes. ??? ;D

if you did go to both then you could actually say that you went to Walmarts plural!

Offline Trakndwg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Canandaigua Walmart made a few $ off me this year. I suppose that as long as they sell ice gear they will make money off me. They might as well, everyone else that sells fishing gear does ;D. I was glad to see the ice fishing gear back there again. Now, if I could just get to use that new gear! :tipup:
TRAKNDWG; women love him, fish fear him.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:28 PM »
wal  mart  sucks  ...  there  the  number  one  employer  in  the  united  states  !  they  will not  be  under sold!!!!   they are  everywhere  and  most  open  24 hours  .... i love walmarts 

Offline William Hung

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:31 PM »
The walmart here in CNY has little to no supplies.  What they do have is priced right though.
Go SU

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:55 PM »
Herkimer walmart has a great selection this year, it does vary from year to year, and I guarantee they wont have crap next year because of sales now.....in fact several years ago they had alot of stuff and the next year they had none because they didnt sell much the year before........
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline hockey316m

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:43 PM »
Proud to say that I work for Walmart and from year to year the size of the ice fishing is determined by previous sales and management. We just expanded ours to the biggest it has ever been, just wish as a fisherman I could help determine the selection.... Tight lines all and thanks for the support !!

Offline jeffmac85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:10 AM »
walmarts in the buffalo area have zero ice fishing gear that I have seen.
Maybe because there is no ice

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:00 AM »
Walmart in Geneseo went from having nothing last year to having a decent supply of stuff this year!  Like Norm said it is mostly HT stuff.  I did not have the ability to just walk by without throwing a couple odds and ends in the cart.  ;D

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:12 AM »
ya i was rather glad to see that they have ice fishing stuff again and ht at that good deal i know that walmarts in vt have had to restock atleast once so far so lets just hope that they will have all this stuff again next year oh ya and always shop local first

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:59 AM »
I find this thread humorous.  Most of you guys carry more ice fishing gear in stock every time you hit the ice than any Walmart in the country is carrying on their shelves. 

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:17 AM »
how  many people go into walmart expecting to spend 20 dollars and spend 100?  the price is right get it there.  im sorry I am all for small stores and family owned businesses but when I can get 3 meals for the price I would pay for 1 at a local store how can you not go there.  is it a pain in the ass?  yes.  is it a corporate chain that demolishes other businesses? yes.  but when your not wealthy you buy what is the best price.  besides all the money my family and i have saved at walmart is the reason why I have a 4x4 polaris, a snowmobile, a 3 wheeler, 2 fish finders, 3 shantys, 10 jigging rods strung ready for action, and a boat load of lures, and 4 different style heaters with warm gear.  So to say walmart sucks in a way yes it does but on the other side with the money you save shopping there you have extra cash to do the things you want.  besides some of there ht fishing stuff is nice.  I bought a jigging pole there for 7.00.  gander or dicks would of been 10 to 15 dollars for a similar rod. enough about corporate chains and whatnot lets fish.

Offline Trakndwg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:21 AM »
I find this thread humorous.  Most of you guys carry more ice fishing gear in stock every time you hit the ice than any Walmart in the country is carrying on their shelves.
I resemble that remark but not as much as you do.  ;D
TRAKNDWG; women love him, fish fear him.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:33 AM »
There summer fishing line isn't to bad but we have no winter ice fishing stuff and haven't for serveral years.  Before that they had maybe a dozen items which was just junk anyway.  Their is a lot of there policys and where they get there merchandise from I don't like but we have no compation or equivalent place to go.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:48 AM »
The way I see Wallmart is now in Heavy competition with Dicks.  Both have a combined total of 20 icefishing items per year to sell. But Walmart has Surf rods for sale here 600 miles from coastline. You never know when you will need one.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:49 AM »
That second one was a prime example of paradise being paved to put up a parking lot.
We used to do a lot of mudding and small gaming back there before the bulldozers came.  >:(
Wish I had hugged a tree the last time I was there.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:38 AM »
"Walmarts" that's funny  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:12 AM »
When our local Gander Mt. closed it's doors after the flood, I was worried where to get my ice fishing stuff. We have 2 Dicks Sporting Goods stores in our area and you can fit all there ice fishing stuff into one shopping cart. I was really suprised to see our Wal Mart stores with ice fishing gear this year and it didn't take me long to find something that " I just had to have. " Granted, they don't have the quantity that Gander Mt. had but what they do carry is a blessing.

Offline Fisher Pol

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:20 AM »
I was just about to buy another rod I really didn't need and then noticed it was made in China.  I then put it back.  I'm at the point I have most ice fishing stuff I need so why buy something I really don't need especially when not American made.  I am not saying I don't buy anything not made in America, but trying to be aware of this the older I get.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:27 AM »
they have to have walmarts to pump and dump the cheap chinese stuff ... if it wasnt for their prices we couldnt afford stuff.   without be able to get stuff we begin to reliaze how bad off people are... like the junk yard dog, as long as he gets his bone everyday he,s happy. as long as we can get stuff .. we,re happy!!!!!!    NO WALLMART= NO STUFF=  BIG TROUBLE!!!!!!   just an observation ;D :tipup:
youngster

Offline mush69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:55 AM »
I will never spend another dime in the Walmart here in Cortland. After they put in the supercenter the store sucks! 

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:16 AM »
Hey Mush. Actually I think the Cortland store is great. Big improvement over the old store that was down the street. I used to hit the Vestal store but you usually can't find a decent parking spot there. At least the Cortland store has plenty of parking and most every thing I need. They even have a nice selection of ice fishing stuff to boot. What more can one ask for ?

Offline mush69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:31 AM »
Hey Mush. Actually I think the Cortland store is great. Big improvement over the old store that was down the street. I used to hit the Vestal store but you usually can't find a decent parking spot there. At least the Cortland store has plenty of parking and most every thing I need. They even have a nice selection of ice fishing stuff to boot. What more can one ask for ?

Service?  I went there just before Big Game season opened up to buy my license and some rifle ammo and searched the store for 25 minutes for a clerk.  When I finally found one she nearly blew me off saaying that it would be a few minutes before she could get there.  She was stocking selves in the paint dept that had nobody in it buying paint.  The next time I went there I was looking for a wireless router and nobody had a clue of what they were selling spent 15 minutes that day.

Went to Staples and walked outta of the store in less than 3 minutes with a router in hand, wife was shocked!  I go to Forrest Fisheries and buy my bait and ice gear and have never had any issues with the service there.

Offline mbiddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:31 AM »
never

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:06 PM »
Macedon Wally World had a pretty decent selections maybe if a store like ain't got Dick's carried some gear we would have to look to Sam Walmart to supply us with gear ;D
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.