New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Warm up coming?  (Read 752 times)

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Warm up coming?
« on: Feb 12, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Wife just mentioned to me that she heard that we have a thaw coming at the end of the week with daytime temps around 50s.  Been kinda' hoping for something like this honestly.  It would be nice if we had a big snow meltdown and a re-exposure of the ice.  Walking, ATVing, etc would be nicer once it freezes again, and it would take a lot of snowpack weight off the ice.
Hoping we get a nice little thaw followed by a good snap of cold.  That would sure go a long way toward getting this tough slush out of here.  I'm not sick of fishing, but after my last encounter with burying the ATV, it would be OK if we got some more manageable conditions.  :-[  It would be great to have the second half of the season be just a little bit less rough than the first.  I'm not whining!  I'm just sore!!
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Warm up coming?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Big problem we face is all the slush has eroded the great black ice we started the season off with.
Also thickness varies a lot in some areas.... :o

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2011, 08:53 PM »
What is needed is temps that will melt the snow and slush and then sub 0 temps at night and not over 20 days for 3 or 4 days..  If it gets cold enough to melt the slush the "good ice" below that will be weaker too.. Going to be pretty Iffy....   Be careful...

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:27 AM »
I never thought I would be praying for rain!

Just MO here but temps in the 40-50s coupled with a day of warm rain and then followed by a deep freeze would fix things up real fast. I think! I Hope!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:57 AM »
Ahh icefishing in a t-shirt weather! I am with you Grady lets hope it gets rid the dang snow. Bring it on Mother Nature lol

Offline bigsunny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Don't wish the season away some of the best fishing is just ahead of us!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.