New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Frozen bait ordering  (Read 1225 times)

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
Frozen bait ordering
« on: Dec 08, 2021, 07:37 PM »
What are the regulations for frozen bait if I were to order from a online seller  :tipup:

Offline Jwegner

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Frozen bait ordering
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2021, 02:53 AM »
Should be OK to use. I think the concern with using bait from another source other than where you're fishing is that you will introduce a "foreign species that will invade and populate.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2021, 05:13 AM »
I would not assume it's fine if you are unsure of regulation. Here, in WI, dead bait must be preserved with a method other than freezing/refrigeration to be legal in the ice. You can get fresh frozen bait but the recommended treatment is brining. The concern here is the transmission of VHS (Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia) a lethal viral infection that is easily spread.

Some states require you purchase bait from an approved/certified source and have the receipt to prove it as long as you have the bait.

Find out for sure. Don't risk a ticket. It takes all the fun out of it.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2021, 05:21 AM »
Some states require you purchase bait from an approved/certified source and have the receipt to prove it as long as you have the bait.

That’s what the NY law is..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2021, 05:24 AM »
Michigan ditched the certified bait with receipt law a few years back.the receipt was only good for a week or so.

Offline TheGobyGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2021, 05:46 AM »
From page 82 of the 2021 NY regs:

"Any dead fish, or parts thereof excluding eggs, that are legal to possess and are not prohibited for use as bait, that have been packaged for commercial sale and have been preserved by methods other than by freezing only (e.g., salted minnows) can be used in any waterbody where it is legal to use fish as bait and do not require a receipt. Each package of dead bait fish must be individually labeled, identifying the name of the packager/processor, the name of the species, the quantity of fish contained, and the means of preservation. "

Frozen only does not satisfy the regs. Whether you can buy frozen and preserve them further yourself is not addressed, and is a question to ask DEC. Perhaps other Ice Shanty members may be able to share correspondence with DEC they already have made regarding the subject?

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2021, 06:32 AM »
Frozen or dead bait must be certified there are a few vendors out there.
Mr.Esox

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2021, 01:33 PM »
I froze some smelt for future use and in the meantime I had an opportunity to speak with a NYS ECO.  I was told this not legal in NY

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2021, 01:46 PM »
Was always curious about the use of dead/frozen/thawed herring being used for northern pike on tip ups. The way I interpret the law and how it stated is they can only be used in the waters they’re found or caught in. However, the dead bait law certainly has some grey areas….Please chime in and clarify if anyone has proper knowledge. Confusing to say the least…

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2021, 07:46 AM »
From page 82 of the 2021 NY regs:

"Any dead fish, or parts thereof excluding eggs, that are legal to possess and are not prohibited for use as bait, that have been packaged for commercial sale and have been preserved by methods other than by freezing only (e.g., salted minnows) can be used in any waterbody where it is legal to use fish as bait and do not require a receipt. Each package of dead bait fish must be individually labeled, identifying the name of the packager/processor, the name of the species, the quantity of fish contained, and the means of preservation. "

Frozen only does not satisfy the regs. Whether you can buy frozen and preserve them further yourself is not addressed, and is a question to ask DEC. Perhaps other Ice Shanty members may be able to share correspondence with DEC they already have made regarding the subject?

This, I cant even freeze and use my dead suckers left over after my bait card runs out. At least that is what I was told last year.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2021, 02:36 PM »
Was always curious about the use of dead/frozen/thawed herring being used for northern pike on tip ups. The way I interpret the law and how it stated is they can only be used in the waters they’re found or caught in. However, the dead bait law certainly has some grey areas….Please chime in and clarify if anyone has proper knowledge. Confusing to say the least…

I use commercially packaged herring no issues.  Keep the packaging you buy them in.  Results may vary as different officers will handle that gray area differently.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2021, 03:43 PM »
I have used small fish caught such as perch, sunfish, shiners in the same water on the same day. Was told by the ECO that they count toward your legal take for that day.   Just can't remove them and then come back tomorrow.  Some lakes (I think Lake George) have rules prohibiting this.  Be educated and be safe.

Offline pierce1308

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2021, 05:49 PM »
If your inside the travel corridor you can take home bait you get from the lake or river such as we catch smelt freeze them and since it's inside corridor and being used on the same lake we are good without a recipt, now on other lakes we fish outside the corrider using dead bait pre packaged herring with all the information on it is what we use or other dead baits from harmon bait farm in maine (shiners, suckers, etc) via online store which have specific ones nys approved bait

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2021, 06:44 PM »
Is this what you guys use out there?

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2021, 04:48 AM »
Is this what you guys use out there?

Used this a few years ago tipped with a few minnows to give some action it works

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.