The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Proper gas for small engines!  (Read 142646 times)

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
Re: Proper gas for small engines!
« Reply #90 on: Jan 09, 2010, 11:31 PM »
amsoil sabre mixed at 70:1 its specs blows the basic specs out of the water!!!! ;D

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #91 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Have had the auger out a couple of times this year.

WOW !   what a difference.

very little smoke, and cuts like a banshee.

I went out to Green Bay, and a couple of kids were trying to cut threw 12" of ice with a hand auger.
Let 'em use my auger, and they couldn't believe the way it cut.

One of the kids remarked that his Jiffy didn't run or cut very good.  His auger was in the shop for a new pull cord, which he broke the previous day.

I told him about Amsoil and mixing it 50:1.   He's going to give it a try also.

Thanks to everyone for the input on the use of synthetic oil.

Wiener

Offline allpurposeoil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:20 AM »

at least now you have away to get your saber now from iceshanty.com  :)

Brian

When You Call Us Mention Iceshanty

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Mar 08, 2010, 08:09 AM »
I use Citgo Sea and Snow in my snowmobile, chainsaw and leafblower.  No blown engines, low smoke, low smell and its in expensive ($15 a gallon), which is a lot less expensive than most of the fruity-smelling synthetic oils.

I use that stuff to. Good oil at a good price.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #94 on: Mar 08, 2010, 09:47 PM »

at least now you have away to get your saber now from iceshanty.com  :)

Brian

nothing against your dealership, but support your local amsoil guy... like me  ;D

Offline welderman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:27 PM »
opti 2 100 to 1 auger screams no smoke easy start.

Offline pleasureseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Nov 16, 2010, 11:56 AM »
I run Bel-Ray H1R in my 2- stroke dirtbike.  It's fully synthetic.  Would this be O.K. in the auger?  Or, how about the fuel that I use in the chainsaw?  It's the Stihl brand mixed at 50:1?  Or, has anybody heard of this:  Trufuel.  I saw it at the auto parts store the other day.  It's pre-mixed fuel at 50:1.  It comes in a 32oz. can.  It says the oil in it is synthetic.  It has a stabilizer added to it, which gives it a 2-year shelf life, after opening.  At, least, that's their claim.  Seems to me that this product would be ideal for ice augers.  Any thoughts?  I can't find the Amsoil Saber anywhere.  And, most of the people that I talk to say to just run what I already have on hand.  Thanks!!!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #97 on: Nov 16, 2010, 11:59 AM »
I now use the Opti 2 but with the pillow pack I get, the ratio is approximately 70:1...starts easy, no smoke, no oil dripping

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #98 on: Nov 16, 2010, 07:33 PM »
I run Bel-Ray H1R in my 2- stroke dirtbike.  It's fully synthetic.  Would this be O.K. in the auger?  Or, how about the fuel that I use in the chainsaw?  It's the Stihl brand mixed at 50:1?  Or, has anybody heard of this:  Trufuel.  I saw it at the auto parts store the other day.  It's pre-mixed fuel at 50:1.  It comes in a 32oz. can.  It says the oil in it is synthetic.  It has a stabilizer added to it, which gives it a 2-year shelf life, after opening.  At, least, that's their claim.  Seems to me that this product would be ideal for ice augers.  Any thoughts?  I can't find the Amsoil Saber anywhere.  And, most of the people that I talk to say to just run what I already have on hand.  Thanks!!!
you can get it off of AMSOIL.com, or you can find a local amsoil dealer in your area, you can find them on the website.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Nov 16, 2010, 07:55 PM »
yup, you can use your saw gas or the bel ray. Both are good oils. I use the same mix for my saws as I use in my auger.

Offline pleasureseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:26 PM »
yup, you can use your saw gas or the bel ray. Both are good oils. I use the same mix for my saws as I use in my auger.
Thanks!  That ought to save me a few bucks.

Offline pleasureseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:32 PM »
you can get it off of AMSOIL.com, or you can find a local amsoil dealer in your area, you can find them on the website.
Thanks!  I found the local dealer, today.  I think I'll just use up what I have.  Then, order through them.  They can even get it in those pillow packs.  But, you probably knew that already. LOL.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #102 on: Nov 17, 2010, 08:40 PM »
yeah..... I deal  ;D

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #103 on: Nov 21, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Thanks for all your posts folks.

I got my first 2-stroke Ice auger this year. ( have not taken out of box yet).
I have never owned a 2- stroke anything where I had to add oil to the gas.. and am trying to read as much abut it as I can..

Thanks again for your posts.
AltaIce
 8)

" I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #104 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:47 PM »
run your first tank  with the regular stuff (old fasion 2 cycle oil) then I would switch to a smokless synthetic.  I run the AMSOIL sabre, I mix it to about 60-70:1  the bottle states is acceptable to mix at 100:1.  I sell the stuff and stand by the 100:1 but the fact that I run it in soem cold weather I like just a little extra oil thats all..

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #105 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:51 PM »
run your first tank  with the regular stuff (old fasion 2 cycle oil) then I would switch to a smokless synthetic.  I run the AMSOIL sabre, I mix it to about 60-70:1  the bottle states is acceptable to mix at 100:1.  I sell the stuff and stand by the 100:1 but the fact that I run it in soem cold weather I like just a little extra oil thats all..
Thanks mainedukblaster

I'll look into that for sure.
  8)

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Nov 25, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Anyone know a dealer in Southern Wi. Would like to try sabre out but not going to pay $7 to ship.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #107 on: Nov 25, 2010, 11:08 AM »
I get mine at NAPA.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #108 on: Nov 26, 2010, 08:13 PM »
Anyone know a dealer in Southern Wi. Would like to try sabre out but not going to pay $7 to ship.
try napa, but on teh website you can locate a local jobber. and they can get it to you for usually a few dollors more, not the full shipping price but its up to the dealer to work with you.  My maine dealer before I moved to texas used to charge me 25-50cents for each bottle since he bought a case and divided the shipment by bottle..  I did a quick search, there is a lot in madison, there are 2 in janesville, and one guy in browntown.  Don't know if they are near you.

Offline phredder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:30 PM »
Opti2 is my choice.  Pro chainsaw guy told me about it.  Run all my small 2 cycle engines on it and never a problem.  I know of a small engine repair shop that uses it on every engine that comes in for repair.  Mechanic said the fresh fuel (no ethanol) with the Opti2 sometimes fixes the problem.

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #110 on: Dec 03, 2010, 03:15 PM »
after reading this hole thing i just ordered the amsoil sabre.  it will be nice to just mix one can of this for all my tools.  ill report how it works. 

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #111 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:24 PM »
I wanted to try amsoil but could only find the pillow packs and I am not going to pay $7 to ship a very small bottle. So I found some Opti-2 at a local saw shop. Just as good as amsoil since it is a syn blend.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #112 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:19 PM »
you can get the sabre at Napa.. if you don't have a local dealer near you..  if you buy it online then you have to pay the shipping, but their shipping as a flat rate, so if you buy 1 sabre bottle not worth it but if you buy a whole bunch of oil say for your vehicles oilchange then throw in the sabre the shipping will be the same within reason for the total weight.   ;)

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #113 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:20 PM »
after reading this hole thing i just ordered the amsoil sabre.  it will be nice to just mix one can of this for all my tools.  ill report how it works. 
one thing when I turned all my stuff over to amsoil, was to tweek my carb adjustments just a hair to get it running full bore, I think its the fact that after a few passes of the sabre, it cleans the carb and becomes a little rich, so you have to tune it back a bit, especially on augers

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #114 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:26 PM »
you can get the sabre at Napa.. if you don't have a local dealer near you..  if you buy it online then you have to pay the shipping, but their shipping as a flat rate, so if you buy 1 sabre bottle not worth it but if you buy a whole bunch of oil say for your vehicles oilchange then throw in the sabre the shipping will be the same within reason for the total weight.   ;)
Not the my local napa.

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:31 AM »
I've heard of a few people adding a little carb cleaner to their mix. Is this a good idea?  Would a oz of it in a gallon of fuel even do any good?

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #116 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:46 AM »
Question all.

and am sorry if I have missed a thread on it earlier.

What amount of premixed fuel should one have handy or I guess I should rephrase that and ask... How large of a mix does one
make at a time. Do the different oil's we will get for the mix generally all cover the same volume?

Thanks.

8)

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Dec 04, 2010, 10:38 AM »
Rule of thumb is normally no more than you are going to use in 1 month. Normally 1 gallon. Unless I am also cutting wood then it 2 gallons at a time.

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #118 on: Dec 04, 2010, 12:25 PM »
1 gallon at a time for me.

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #119 on: Dec 20, 2010, 04:26 PM »
This is one of the best topics/threads on the whole site!  I just got a new nils master and have ordered the amsoil to use in it.  Really excited now that I know how to run and maintain my auger, Thank so much everyone for your posts and input
Tight Lines Boys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.