Author Topic: cooking lake trout  (Read 16360 times)

Offline castnblast

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: cooking lake trout
« Reply #30 on: Dec 22, 2010, 01:32 PM »
I like to cook them in a cast iron pan over an open fire. I place a nice smooth rock in the pan with it. Then when it's done I eat the rock and throw the fish in the fire. ;D

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2010, 01:35 PM »
Why would you waste your time cooking them when you can cook Perch and have a GOOD MEAL?? ;D
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline northernmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2010, 02:43 PM »
Why would you waste your time cooking them when you can cook Perch and have a GOOD MEAL?? ;D
Perch? Isn't that eagle food? ;D

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2010, 03:21 PM »
Make a puree of tripe and lemon juice concentrate.
Soak for 3 days.
Place in a Pyrex dish.
Coat fish with puree.
Preheat oven to 650* F with a red brick in the oven
Bake @ 650* for 4 hours.
When timer dings eat the brick.
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:22 PM »
Perch? Isn't that eagle food? ;D
X2 :)
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:04 AM »
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:35 AM »
Make a puree of tripe and lemon juice concentrate.
Soak for 3 days.
Place in a Pyrex dish.
Coat fish with puree.
Preheat oven to 650* F with a red brick in the oven
Bake @ 650* for 4 hours.
When timer dings eat the brick.

Thats funny

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:05 PM »
tbtool you nailed it. Great recipe. :clap:
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Lost Kangaroo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:08 AM »
I brine them, put a fan on them to get the air circulating to form a good pellicle (kind of like a flavor crust that smoke adheres to easily) then smoke them low and slow. I always debone them and take the skin off...best smoked fish I, and my friends have ever had....serve chilled with Ritz crackers....great snack anytime, including on the ice.

Roo

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Just read Jimmiedean's candle receipe and it caused serious damage to my gut! Shouldn't laugh that hard.
Seriously, I'm surprised someone from Great lakes country hasn't mentioned the Lake Superior fish boil. Kettle of heavily brined boiling water, set a bag of whole spuds and onions in it till done, remove and set in a bag of clean laker chunks and boil for about a minute till falkey. Serve spuds/onions/fish with melted butter. The boiling water cooks the oil out and the stuff is great! Keep the fish chunks small to be sure the oil can come out quickly and the fish doesn't overcook and turn to mush.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:41 AM »
How does everyone cook there lake trout?? ??? I smoke mine all the time and was lookin for a change of pace. Thanks ;D

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:58 AM »
I saw the title and immediately thought "you smoke them" ;D

This will be interesting because it's the only way anyone I know makes them.

WS

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:14 AM »
Apparently there is alot of fat (in the belly area?) that needs to be removed and it tastes much better pan fried?  Or so I have heard.

Offline troutperchbeeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:17 AM »
I have left them whole and stuffed them with bread crumbs and minced perch fillets. Mix crumbs, perch, (1) eggs, some chopped up onion & a little green pepper. Season inside of trout with old bay and lemon juice, stuff the trout, wrap in foil and throw it in the oven or on the grill. Cook until the dorsal fin pulls out with little to no effort. Let it sit wrapped up in foil for a few minutes and then dig in. Not too bad. I perfer to smoke them..

Offline The Reel Deal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:38 AM »
I make a cusk and laker chowder on occasion and always seem to like it.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:49 AM »
I throw them back!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:46 AM »
seem's we all like them smoked. I'll be doing 3 of them soon.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:12 AM »
Fillet them, cut into 2" strips, egg wash, Itallian seasoned bread crumbs, deep fry. I prefer a 18"-24" fish. Any bigger and I release them. Sometimes I cut out the dark meat on the skin side, along the lateral line, it can be "fishy".

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:17 AM »
I've eaten a lot of lakers. I don't keep many anymore, but when I do I usually smoke them and give them away. I have made chowder with them, that came out very good. I've also fried them, trick is to cut off all the dark fat on the skin side.

My favorite way to cook them (without smoke) is grilled. I use the back of the fillet knife to remove scales and slime under cold running water. Fillet the fish and take out the pin bones (I cut them out, leaving a narrow void down the fillet). Cut a few shallow slits across the center 1/3 of the skin, just enough to let some fat drain out. In a large enough dish season meat side with salt, pepper and anything else you like. Then cover with enough olive oil to rub a good layer over the whole fillet. On a preheated grill (as hot as you can get it) place the fillet meat side down at a 45* angle to the grates for 2 minutes or so until there are good char lines. Then rotate 90* as you move to a fresh spot (hot) on the grate for another 2 minutes. Now you should have a nice set of cross hatched grill marks, flip the fillet over onto the skin side and reduce the heat to medium-medium/low and cook covered for maybe 5-10 minutes ( not sure how long it will take). Keep an eye on it and when the skin gets slightly burn and crispy it's done. You will want to use a spatula (or two ;)) to take the fillet off the grill. May be easier to cut the fillets into a few pieces the first time you try it if you're worried about it breaking up on you. If you oil the grate before hand the skin shouldn't stick on you, I use Pam Grill spray with very good results. But, when you spray it on a preheated running grill the over spray flames up a lot, so I can't recommend you do that  ::). You can apply oil with a folded up cloth and tongs too  ;).

When done, you can place the fillet skin side up and usually the skin will lift off with most of the dark fatty(fishy) layer. What is left can be scraped off with a butter knife. I also know people who like to eat it as is, skin and all.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #49 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:53 AM »
CAN THEM.SMOKE THEM.also...deep fried in drakes beer batter... :-\
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:28 AM »
deep fried with togue sauce...horseradish, lemon juice, a few splashes of worcestershire sauce to a bowl of ketchup. makes a good rueben as well with coleslaw and cheese

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #51 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:41 AM »
I like to smoke lakers after they have been frozen and when still fresh I like them pan fried after an egg wash and cracker crumbs.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:46 AM »
I end up eating lakers from time to time.  My preferred recipe is very simple:  fillet your trout and cut into 2" to 3" wide chunks.  Marinade in Frank's Red Hot for about 2 hours.  Drop in flour and deep fry.  The Frank's cuts the natural oil in the trout, and the deep frying process kills the heat in the Frank's.  The result is a crispy battered, light tasting fish.  I have only tried this with fresh fish (shore lunch), not sure if there is any good way to eat frozen lake trout.

Try it, you will be surprised!

Enjoy!

Chip

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:50 AM »
4 fresh lake trout, mackerel or other whole white fish (2 lbs. in all)

Stuffing:

2 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. chopped parsley
1/2 c. chopped dill sprigs
1/4 c. chopped chives
1/4 c. chopped onion
2 tbsp. lemon juice

White Sauce/Alfrdedo:

1 tbsp butter
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 block of Philly Cream Cheese********
1/2 c. Sour Cream********
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add creams and simmer for 5 minutes, then add garlic and cheese and whisk quickly, heating through. Stir in parsley and serve.

Fish Cooking:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Clean and rinse fish; allow to drain. Sprinkle lightly with All Season salt.
Mix together the remaining ingredients; stuff and wrap each fish separately in aluminum foil.

Bake 25 minutes. Unwrap, remove to a hot platter. garnish with parsley and lemon slices. Serves 4.

Offline imfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:23 AM »
soak skinless fillets in buttermilk for 1 day, then flour egg wash and whatever you like for breadcrumbs, fry them up and when they are done serve with fresh lemon

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #55 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:13 AM »
There is a lake here with an abundance of 16-20" mackinaw so they upped the limit to help grow larger fish and help the Kokanee Salmon population. I kept 4 16" fish the other day and was hoping to cook them up. I did quite a bit of research and it seemed like there were a lot of negative reviews unless you smoke or grill them. I was a little let down because I currently don't have a grill or a smoker so I gave them to a co-worker who loves them smoked.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #56 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:52 AM »
I don't like strong, fishy tasting fish, so i treat my lakers a little differently than most.  I fillet them, taking off the skin and ribs.  I then split each fillet lengthwise, taking out the mid-line.   I make sure that every inch of dark meat or fat is removed.   I then roll the fillets in bread crumbs with lots of lemon pepper, then put them on a cooking sheet lined with aluminum foil.  10 minutes in the oven at 450 and they are perfect!   The other option is cooking them on a foil-lined grill.  Cook them 5-8 minutes on each side.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:29 PM »
I BBQ them:

I deep fry them:

I also bake them in foil

;D

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity