Author Topic: Warm Boot Suggestions  (Read 10326 times)

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Warm Boot Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: Sep 30, 2016, 09:06 PM »
Mickey Mouse boots for sure......never have cold feet while wearing them, no matter the temp or the length of the day  ;)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #31 on: Sep 30, 2016, 09:09 PM »
Alot of people on this forum swear by these boots.  I just got some a month ago and I can't wait to try them.

x3, for Baffin Titans.  I love mine.  Comfortable and ridiculously warm.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline buttontate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Sep 30, 2016, 11:06 PM »
Muck Arctic Sport or Muck Arctic Pros.  I have the latter.  They work great for me.

I got the Arctic Pros last year and will never look back. Great boot.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 01, 2016, 03:54 AM »
I got the Arctic Pros last year and will never look back. Great boot.

That's good to know, thanks for your reply....looking forward to trying these out this season.    :thumbsup:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Oct 02, 2016, 01:21 AM »
The white Mickey Mouse boots are super warm, at times they're so warm I have to open the laces to let out some heat, and water proof.  Granted they're a bit on the heavy side but you won't be disappointed with them.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #35 on: Oct 02, 2016, 06:43 AM »
Mickeys are the only way to go..... you will NEVER have cold feet....and they won't break your bank account (got mine for $35 on E-Bay).  Soles are plenty thick enough to accept Ice Spikes or Hex Head screws for traction (just DON'T wear them into your house... if you want to avoid divorce!!).

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE "BADA" BRAND !!!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #36 on: Oct 02, 2016, 07:21 AM »

When I first started ice fishing I had Sorrell's pac with felt liner, what I found out that I had to keep them in the back of
            my truck and put them on cold that way my feet didn't sweat, my walking out to my spot my body would warm them up
            and keep my feet warm for hours, but by the end of the day they were cold! Then I bought Lacrosse Ice Kings, I did the same
            thing, kept them in the back of my truck, my feet were cold all day! Then I kept them in my truck on the way to the lake
            and they were warm all day, I wore them until the started to leak, about 10 years. Now I have Cabela's Predator Extremes
            I put them on when I get to the lake and my feet have never been cold in them! It's all about keeping you feet dry!

IW

Offline lure loon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Oct 05, 2016, 05:39 PM »
MICKEY  .....

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Oct 05, 2016, 05:45 PM »
I also like mickeys or bunny boots.and havent had cold feet in years.but the heaviness  of them are starting to bother me with arthritis in my hips.im might start looking for a light warm boot but will always have my bada boots just in case.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Oct 06, 2016, 11:00 AM »
x3, for Baffin Titans.  I love mine.  Comfortable and ridiculously warm.

X4.

They're made in Canada, eh? We know a thing or 2 about ice and cold! :laugh:
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #40 on: Oct 06, 2016, 01:14 PM »
best thing about Mickeys...that there are so many better options available now.

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Oct 06, 2016, 03:12 PM »
The warmest winter footgear I've worn are traditional smoke tanned moosehide wrap-around moccasins made by Cree women. With several pairs of wool socks inside a full felt liner they are unbeatable in dry cold. I can say honestly in 55 years of wearing them my feet have never been cold. They're especially good for sweaty feet because they are highly breathable unlike those made from commercially tanned hides and rubber or plastic boots. They aren't made much anymore but occasionally an old timer can be seen wearing them, with short overshoes, on the ice pulling nets. They are also very light.

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 06, 2016, 04:25 PM »
I would look into good socks and change them often. Your feet when sweaty will be cold no matter the boot rating is. I wear tennis shoes when driving to the lake just so my feet don't sweat.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Oct 06, 2016, 08:59 PM »
Darn tough socks are great. Made in Vermont they are expensive but lifetime replacement by sending them in. Warm and super comfortable.

Offline JKaboom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Oct 06, 2016, 11:29 PM »
Though they are heavy the Mickey Mouse boots are best in my opinion.  If it's too cold for them then you should probably not be outside LOL

Budget friendly as well

Offline AKSalmonBear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Oct 07, 2016, 12:53 AM »
Arctic Ice Mucks for up here in Alaska. 40 years here and by far the best ever.

gman51

« Reply #46 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:09 AM »
x5 titans are crazy warm and comfortable...punching holes all day not having to worry about ice water or slush covering the boots..keeps you fishing instead of freezing.here in Saskatchewan i wouldn't use anything else.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:16 AM »
I would look into good socks and change them often. Your feet when sweaty will be cold no matter the boot rating is. I wear tennis shoes when driving to the lake just so my feet don't sweat.

x2. Boots are more of a shell than anything else IMO. Get a few pair of merino wool. the higher the % of merino wool the better

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Oct 23, 2016, 08:38 AM »
I just wonder 1 thing how can 1 person say a boot is awesome and someone else says the same boots don't keep there feet warm etc. Is there  inconsistencies with the production of some of these boots that make them have different results it seems very curious to me

No... there are inconsistencies with human beings. 😎

Offline gotaway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:31 PM »
 Getting ready to order the Baffin Titans...  ...for those that have them I wear a 11 wide boot,  should I order the size 12 ?

Offline Watertooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:56 PM »
I wear size 11 as well. When I tried on the Baffin Titans at a store, I ended up getting size 12 so that I had room for wool socks and for wiggling toes. There's no sense in getting toes too snug since warmth and comfort are all about having a bit of airspace in the boot. The boots fit just right. My feet don't slide around in the boots and my toes aren't cramped. I'm happy with my purchase.

Getting ready to order the Baffin Titans...  ...for those that have them I wear a 11 wide boot,  should I order the size 12 ?

Offline gotaway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 16, 2016, 01:16 PM »
thanks tooner, hate to buy boots without trying them on but no place around here has them so.... mail order it is  ..

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 17, 2016, 06:57 AM »
The thing with Baffin boots are to get them in your true size. They conform to your feet. Do not let anyone else wear them. Great very warm boots.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:01 AM »
The one thing with Mickeys that I have not seen anyone bring up in boot conversations is how hard it is to put them on and take them off.

You basically have to be seated in order to force them on and then have to tie the laces. Taking them off is a bit of a pain also. And when you're layered up with bibs and all, it's not as easy as bending over and lacing up a pair of tennis shoes in the summer.

With other type of Pac boots, you can just slip your feet in while standing, same with taking them off.

I have both Mickeys and a pair of Baffins. The Mickeys are warm, but the Baffins are total luxury, unbelievably comfortable. I wear the Mickeys when it's on the warmer side and the Baffins when it's below 15 degrees or so.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:03 AM »
Arctic Ice Mucks for up here in Alaska. 40 years here and by far the best ever.

x2, so warm and easy

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 18, 2016, 11:33 PM »
I've seen competitors in the Iditarod wearing Cabelas Trans Alaskan lll's, but never white mickeys.  Must be the weight?

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 24, 2016, 08:05 AM »
I've seen competitors in the Iditarod wearing Cabelas Trans Alaskan lll's, but never white mickeys.  Must be the weight?
Trans Alaskans are pretty light weight. I love them.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Dec 25, 2016, 09:34 PM »
The white mickey's have their place in history no doubt. I have a pair I can't bring myself to trash. Unless you have long underwear or tuck pants into the gussets on the mickey's, they'll chew your calf raw (mine at least) with any kind of walking. Got the baffin apex for those cold days and the hunters if it's 25°F +. I'll never fault anyone for wearing mickey's, they still are one of the warmest boots out there.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #58 on: Dec 26, 2016, 05:59 PM »
https://www.overshoesneos.com/Neos_Overshoes_Navigator_5_Stabilicer.html

I bought these Neos Overshoes last year.  They are the cats ... They also have screws in the bottom of the boots to act as ice cleats.  You just slip them over your tennis shoes, hiking shoes, or whatever shoes you drove to the lake with.  Easy on, easy off.  I love 'em. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #59 on: Dec 29, 2016, 06:15 PM »
TA IIIs came in the post today. I've been away from pac-style boots for a while but I'm not gettin' any younger and my tootsies get a little cool these days. Don't spend much shack time so I'm standin' on the ice outside. Figure it's time to make an investment in my comfort.

First impressions:

Big boots, taller than I'm used to and look heavy but not particularly. Hey, now I am 6 foot.... ::)

Typical Chinese stuff, we'll see.

I like that the liner comes out to dry even though the construction includes "Dry-Plus" which has worked well for me in other Cablelas products.

The lace arrangement is different but seems easier up front. We'll see...

So, I'll have to give 'em a work out this season and form my own opinion. Got a smokin' deal, $150 + tax/S/H so the whole works out the door for < $170. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Some of the comments here steered me but I'll never blame anyone but myself if they don't meet expectations.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.