Author Topic: Insulating a hub style shack.  (Read 7039 times)

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Insulating a hub style shack.
« on: Sep 21, 2012, 12:24 PM »
I have been search past threads but have come up short so thought I would reach out for help.  I have an Eskimo QuickFish 3 and am wondering if anyone has come up with a decent way to insulate the roof.  I see plenty of post where flip-overs are insulated with space blankets or similar stuff, but I have yet to come across a posting where someone has done it to a hub style.  I might just have to break down and buy the new QF3 insulated.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Insulating a hub style shack.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2012, 12:35 PM »
You might want to look at the Eskimo Quickfish 4. It has a cold air barrier that goes below the roof and prevents moisture from dripping from the roof. I have one and like it. It takes a few minutes to put the barrier up, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to. I see the price has dropped this year also.  http://setthehook.com/icefishing/shelters/quickfish4.htm
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2012, 01:31 PM »
I saw that on the qf4 but still bought the 3. I figured I can just cut a tarp to size and buy the steel rings you can put on tarps yourself and rig up a barrier.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2012, 01:55 PM »
I saw that on the qf4 but still bought the 3. I figured I can just cut a tarp to size and buy the steel rings you can put on tarps yourself and rig up a barrier.
Whatever works for you. I think anything you can get up there to hold the warm air down will help. I think the price for a QF4 dropped about $80 this year which should get a few more of them on the ice.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2012, 11:06 PM »
I don't see any reason that you can't use that Silver insulating stuff that is used on flip overs.  I'm going to try some on my "IceCube" this year.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2012, 11:34 PM »
                                    That Silver insulating stuff

Reflectix, available at Home Depot.     ;)2

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2012, 07:57 AM »
i have the qf4 and the cold air barrier is a pain to set up you cant leave it in the shelter when you move :(

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2012, 04:52 PM »
you would be suprised what a small tarp will do

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2012, 09:11 PM »
Tried the Reflectix, works but it's putzy and a pain to cart around in the sled.

Going to try one of those "survival tarp" things that's basically a thick version of the old mylar space blankets.  My Xtreme Ice 2 man is 5'x5', which should fit the tarp's dimensions.

Just need to figure out how to hang it without impeding the roof vents.  I love those roof vents.

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2012, 08:57 PM »
In my new Shappell widehouse 6500...I think what I'm going to do is buy the 16" roll and make (2) 32" wide x 6' long panels to stick up in between the roof supports and tent material.

I'm going to cut the panels and use the aluminum tape so they will fold into (2) 16" wide x 3' long sections. That way the can sit in the bottom of my jet sled and out of the way.
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2012, 09:17 PM »
How do you guys think the Eskimo Fatfish 949i  compares to the Eskimo Quick Fish 4?  I know the Quick Fish has the insulated roof but I don't think the Fatfish does.  I'm not sure if I'm right or not but any input from people who own either of these would be greatly appreciated.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2012, 09:47 PM »
How do you guys think the Eskimo Fatfish 949i  compares to the Eskimo Quick Fish 4?  I know the Quick Fish has the insulated roof but I don't think the Fatfish does.  I'm not sure if I'm right or not but any input from people who own either of these would be greatly appreciated.

I think the little " i "  in the 949i stands for insulated.  not sure but  i think that it does..  Iwas lokig at shelters last year and was actually going to get the largest one they had at that point but gt a good deal on another similar sized shelter from glens. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2012, 09:55 PM »
Glens Outdoors sold out quickly.  Best be alert to when things come up for sale and MOVE QUICKLY!!
Or, just wait 'til next year..... ;)2

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Yeah gator i hear you on that they sell out quickly.....  I got one of the last ones of that model (the 6 man) and then they lsite then as one of the discontinued items. 

it was less then half the price of comparable companies and some of the guys that have been in mine and own one the other ones like mine a little better.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2012, 10:19 PM »
I wish I would have stumbled upon this thread before I started a forum topic on insulating a popup shelter... o well.  Has anyone tried any other insulating techniques they thought turned out well?  Pics are welcome...  ;D

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2012, 10:38 PM »
Question:   If I install the "Reflectix" material in my Hub, can it still be folded up and put back in the bag without removing the Reflectix each time??  I was thinking of securing the Reflectix to the support rods with small zip-ties. Anyone tried this yet??

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2012, 10:56 PM »
First I'll say I haven't put Reflectix in my hub.  But I have lost sleep as the idea rolls around my thoughts.

The action of the hub/rods needs clearance ~ Breakage results in a bit of disassembly for repair.  ?? How would it be to leave 8" to 12" non-insulated at each hub. I'll follow you.    ;)2

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2012, 11:36 PM »
The Eskimo Fatfish 949i and the Eskimo Quick Fish 4 are both insulated but the only difference I can find is the Quick Fish has an insulated roof where the Fatfish doesn't list the roof as being insulated.  What I'd like to know is are they equally as good and does insulation on the roof make much of a difference.  At this point if I get one I won't be running a heater in it and at most for now maybe a lantern.  The reason I'm asking is the price difference.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2012, 12:48 AM »
The Eskimo Fatfish 949i and the Eskimo Quick Fish 4 are both insulated but the only difference I can find is the Quick Fish has an insulated roof where the Fatfish doesn't list the roof as being insulated.  What I'd like to know is are they equally as good and does insulation on the roof make much of a difference.  At this point if I get one I won't be running a heater in it and at most for now maybe a lantern.  The reason I'm asking is the price difference.

I think the Quickfish just has a barrier that hangs from the ceiling of the house and traps air--> keeps it warmer.  There is no insulation in the fabric and you have to hang and take down the roof barrier each time you set up/take down the ice house.  The 949i actually has an insulation layer in the fabric, so the whole house is insulated.  That is at least the way I have understood them.  Haven't looked in to them too much...

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2012, 05:20 AM »
You guys that dont have a insulated hub, do you get a lot of water driping from the roof? My flip over did untill I added reflex. Thinking of getting a hub for family. Wife hurts my leg after sitting on my lap a while  ;D just kidding honey!
I think Insulated is the way to go  ???

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:20 AM »
You guys that dont have a insulated hub, do you get a lot of water driping from the roof? My flip over did untill I added reflex. Thinking of getting a hub for family. Wife hurts my leg after sitting on my lap a while  ;D just kidding honey!
I think Insulated is the way to go  ???
I read some posts last winter where guys were throwing a plastic tarp over the top of their hub shelters to insulate the top of it and it worked for them. I would think it would be worth trying, but maybe a pain to tie it down.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2012, 05:48 PM »
That tarp idea doesn't make sense to me.....if the purpose of insulation of the hub is to (1) prevent condensation on the roof & dripping water , and (2) keep it warmer inside, then what would the tarp do??  If it's outside the shelter wouldn't the condensation problem still exist???

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 24, 2012, 10:41 PM »
I think they are saying to put the tarp inside the shanty and make a flat roof inside the shanty.  this i think will do to things. 
1.  create a layer of air that will aide in insulating the inside.

2.  The tarp will catch the drops that form on the actual ceiling of the shanty that is closest to the cold air.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2012, 08:08 AM »
That tarp idea doesn't make sense to me.....if the purpose of insulation of the hub is to (1) prevent condensation on the roof & dripping water , and (2) keep it warmer inside, then what would the tarp do??  If it's outside the shelter wouldn't the condensation problem still exist???
Several people said it works well. I guess it would trap some air between the tarp and the roof of the popup creating a bit of air space for insulating purposes. I don't know how a person would anchor the tarp so it didn't blow away or do a lot of flapping in the wind.

Offline mcsquinty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 25, 2012, 05:22 PM »
I carry a heavy king size blanket, just toss over the top and rope down. Not pretty or sophisticated, but more effective than you'd think.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Several people said it works well. I guess it would trap some air between the tarp and the roof of the popup creating a bit of air space for insulating purposes. I don't know how a person would anchor the tarp so it didn't blow away or do a lot of flapping in the wind.
Yep, that's the idea - the temp difference is closer with the tarp, eg, with an non-insulated shack the difference between the inside and outside is very high which results in the condensation issues.  With a tarp either inside or outside, the heater warms up the fabric, and then the air gap between the two layers, so there isn't as large of a difference.  Even a swing of 50deg helps immensely with water, and if there is any water formed, it'll be on the outer most layer - so when it drips off, the inner layer will catch it. 

Offline iTinker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Self purported mad scientist
« Reply #26 on: Sep 10, 2019, 11:04 PM »
I have been kicking around ways to insulate the 6 pack hub, and reflectix would have just added too much bulk. I looked at the thermal shelters to compare bag size, and found they were using the same bag, so I thought if I kept the insulation the same thickness as the thermal shelter I'd be okay leaving it in and folding up the shelter. I stumbled around the local menards, and came upon this:

This along with flexible fabric glue is cheaper than selling my current hub then buying a thermal, and I'm thinking it might actually be warmer.
Genius, or am I just kidding myself?
"What is this monstrosity? Not going in..." Wife (AM)

"Beer run? We're out..." Wife (mid morning after finishing a 6)

"Can we sleep out on the ice?" Wife (PM)

Yep...

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Sep 11, 2019, 03:21 AM »
You resurrected a 7 year old thread. Way to use that search feature!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 11, 2019, 04:27 AM »
You resurrected a 7 year old thread. Way to use that search feature!

The “Lazarus Effect”  :roflmao:

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline iTinker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Self purported mad scientist
« Reply #29 on: Sep 11, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Not surprised the search police offer no opinion of worth or link where they found the info. I used search, and there's nothing wrong with resurrecting a relevant topic.
"What is this monstrosity? Not going in..." Wife (AM)

"Beer run? We're out..." Wife (mid morning after finishing a 6)

"Can we sleep out on the ice?" Wife (PM)

Yep...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.