Author Topic: Odd Minnow Question  (Read 795 times)

Offline ultangler

• IceShanty Rookie
Odd Minnow Question
« on: Jan 25, 2021, 04:38 PM »
Have any coastal anglers ever tried bull minnow (mummichog) through the ice in freshwater? I have a bucket of 'em leftover from pickerel fishing in the tidal tribs and I'm thinking about driving west for some ice fishing (walleye, perch) this weekend. But I'm not sure if I should make the extra effort to go and get shiners, or if the bull minnow would work just fine. Anyone ever tried it before??
Mid-Atlantic anglers, check out FishTalk Magazine - we cover ice fishing, too!

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Odd Minnow Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:00 PM »
 I grew up on Cape Cod. We always used "mummies" caught in the marsh creeks on our tip ups. Better check local regulations where you catch and where you plan to use them.  Lots of new rules about use and transport since I was a kid!

Offline ultangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:03 PM »
Thanks Claymore6, figured they should work just fine but hate to blow a trip over it if wrong!! (Course if I skunk this weekend, that means I can blame you... right??)
Mid-Atlantic anglers, check out FishTalk Magazine - we cover ice fishing, too!

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2021, 06:20 AM »
Living in MA,  I used to scoop up grass shrimp with a net in the marsh and would always get a few mummies while at it. They are a very lively and hardy specie that is tolerable to water changes. Trout loves them too...  ;D

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2021, 08:44 PM »
I have fished with mummies through the ice a couple of times...The first time I was introduced to them was when an Older fisherman pulled the out of his newspaper lined pocket... :-\ ;D
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.