Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 75703 times)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
I can’t wait to try this, got my 7” Nero the other day, Rigid is coming for Christmas. I’m going to start out without the clam plate and see what happens.
I thought all you guys typing Nero was just an auto correct for Nils. Just checked out the Nero and it looks like a nice little auger. Saw a vid of a guy using one with a drill and I looked like it ripped!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: RIGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. INITIAL ON ICE REVIEW.
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2018, 05:42 PM »
I’m going to start out without the clam plate and see what happens.

Hoping your username isn't a premonition of the condition of your wrist...

Let us know how she flys, good luck!!

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 13, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Did you have a extension?

Doesn't matter which extension you use, as far as catching at the bottom of the hole, or anything as far as how it drills, catches, or cuts..

<°)))>{

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2018, 05:48 AM »
Just a few observations.

Its warm out with white (soft) ice.

17.4 lbs is heavy. My fuel setup weighs 11lbs.

Otherwise I'm sure it works just fine! ;D

Fortunately it appears that Pike has the upper body strength to handle that big bad 17lb auger.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Hoping your username isn't a premonition of the condition of your wrist...

Let us know how she flys, good luck!!

<°)))>{

Now you guys are making me nervous! Is this catching because of the type of auger? Or the drills power just makes it worse? Seems like the videos I’ve watched online you can’t really see the augers catching

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2018, 07:42 AM »
Now you guys are making me nervous! Is this catching because of the type of auger? Or the drills power just makes it worse? Seems like the videos I’ve watched online you can’t really see the augers catching

Its a combination of both... Shavers are more likely to grab when breaking through and the big drills are spinning the bit at a pretty high speed with a lot of torque. Once my bit is started in the hole I stand in a way the the drill is braced against my hip or thigh so if it does grab it will push on me instead of trying twist around.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline littlepineguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:47 AM »
I started without the torque handle or the clam plate, just bracing the drill against my body and that was fine.  It gets a little more awkward as the ice has thickened so I attached the auxiliary handle that came with the Ridgid and I plan to stick with that.  The catching really isn't bad, especially once you establish ice thickness and can slow the cut near the bottom (not the drill, just lift up a bit to stop the blades from cutting so deep, because that's what they want to do!) It's actually really a smooth finish when you get the hang of it, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it mistertwister.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:31 AM »
lazer augers seem to catch at the bottom of the hole. more so if you have heavy items weighing it down like clam plates and big batteries. these hand auger were meant for the the weight of the handle to beon top if this helps you better understand. the drill isn't making it catch, other than the added weight, it's the pitch and how much ice the auger is removing per revolution. as said to work around any auger catching is lift it some so it can't take as much material and does more shaving as it nears the water or break thru point.

Just a few observations.
 Its warm out with white (soft) ice.
17.4 lbs is heavy. My fuel setup weighs 11lbs.
Otherwise I'm sure it works just fine! ;D
i see white ice being cut and black ice being cut. from the sounds of his parents creepers, it is very hard ice.
your weighing your fuel with a 9 amp battery? must be a super light battery.
the fuel and octane have been weighed by stinkyfingers and they are only 6 OZ's different w/o battery.

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:53 AM »
lazer augers seem to catch at the bottom of the hole. more so if you have heavy items weighing it down like clam plates and big batteries. these hand auger were meant for the the weight of the handle to beon top if this helps you better understand. the drill isn't making it catch, other than the added weight, it's the pitch and how much ice the auger is removing per revolution. as said to work around any auger catching is lift it some so it can't take as much material and does more shaving as it nears the water or break thru point.
i see white ice being cut and black ice being cut.
the fuel and octane have been weighed by stinkyfingers and they are only 6 OZ''s different w/o battery.

I think he is using 5amp battery and lighter auger.   Most of difference is in the auger.   You want the Cadillac or Prius?
Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2018, 12:03 PM »
I’ll be going with the rigid and 9ah battery...I think I’ll be alright, just reading through some stuff i was afraid I’d drill a hole and end up with a sprained wrist. I was kind of hoping to avoid a clam plate so I could use the drill to set tent anchors if needed

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Fortunately it appears that Pike has the upper body strength to handle that big bad 17lb auger.
I’m not complaining , beat my 10” strikemaster by about 12lbs.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:21 PM »

i see white ice being cut and black ice being cut. from the sounds of his parents creepers, it is very hard ice.
the fuel and octane have been weighed by stinkyfingers and they are only 6 OZ's different w/o battery.
90% black ice, with the top white ice still being very dense. Starting temp was 0, got up to 20 with 5-10mph wind so it was solid all day.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:23 PM »
I’ll be going with the rigid and 9ah battery...I think I’ll be alright, just reading through some stuff i was afraid I’d drill a hole and end up with a sprained wrist. I was kind of hoping to avoid a clam plate so I could use the drill to set tent anchors if needed
The handle that comes with the octane gives a lot stability, I doubt you’d NEED the clam plate.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2018, 04:23 PM »
The handle that comes with the octane gives a lot stability, I doubt you’d NEED the clam plate.

That’s what I was thinking, I appreciate it!  :tipup:

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2018, 05:46 PM »
I can’t wait to try this, got my 7” Nero the other day, Rigid is coming for Christmas. I’m going to start out without the clam plate and see what happens.

Just be careful, a lot of people have sprained their wrist using just the drill if the auger happens to bite

Offline Matt76cmich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Thanks for the review. I had just recieved my Milwaukee 1200 inch pound hammer drill and two 5ah batteries when I saw the deal for the Rigid. I was able to return the Milwaukee and ordered the Rigid right away. It showed up yesterday and finally got a chance to get it out of the box and register the drill and battery. The side handle is bigger than the Milwaukee and I think it will work better in the long run. Now to get the temps back in the freezing zone so I can get out there and try this thing out with my Nils 8" convertible.

(Work bench is a little messy while im working on my snowmobile clutches)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:30 PM »
Thanks for the review. I had just recieved my Milwaukee 1200 inch pound hammer drill and two 5ah batteries when I saw the deal for the Rigid. I was able to return the Milwaukee and ordered the Rigid right away. It showed up yesterday and finally got a chance to get it out of the box and register the drill and battery. The side handle is bigger than the Milwaukee and I think it will work better in the long run. Now to get the temps back in the freezing zone so I can get out there and try this thing out with my Nils 8" convertible.

(Work bench is a little messy while im working on my snowmobile clutches)

Awesome. Hope you enjoy it!! Should treat you well. Let us know how you like it when you hit the ice!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Just ordered mine, will be here next week! I've done 3 seasons with a Ridgid X4, first year on a ice master adapter, last 2 with a clam plate. I've been  running a 6" lazer, now I'll have the torque to spin an 8" when I'm fishing for pike or lakers.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Just went and drilled a few holes with mine connected to a 7" lazer hand anger. Drill wouldn't run in speed 2 on the ice only speed 1. Got home and inside and it would turn the auger just fine on speed 2. Drilled a few holes on speed one and was impressed. Catching at the bottom of the hole wasnt too bad just need to brace the drill against my hip.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09:26 AM »
Just went and drilled a few holes with mine connected to a 7" lazer hand anger. Drill wouldn't run in speed 2 on the ice only speed 1. Got home and inside and it would turn the auger just fine on speed 2. Drilled a few holes on speed one and was impressed. Catching at the bottom of the hole wasnt too bad just need to brace the drill against my hip.
None of the drills will run in Speed 2.
<===Lefty===

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #50 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Thanks. Didnt know if it was defective since I just got it yesterday.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 15, 2018, 03:35 PM »
I did the same thing. Wont work on #2. Used it again today, tried the hammer setting and really liked it. Seem to drill a little lower, but maybe have a little more power.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BATTERY UPDATE!!

Used the drill again today. Did not charge the battery after last time. Drilled another 30 holes and the battery just dropped to 50%. Total of about 80 holes +/-. About 10" of ice today. Switched the settings to the hammer setting, and it seemed to drill a little slower, but have more power. So far, this drill is amazing!!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BATTERY UPDATE!!

Used the drill again today. Did not charge the battery after last time. Drilled another 30 holes and the battery just dropped to 50%. Total of about 80 holes +/-. About 10" of ice today. Switched the settings to the hammer setting, and it seemed to drill a little slower, but have more power. So far, this drill is amazing!!
You drilled out holes in hammer mode??? I bet your blades loved that experience!!!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BATTERY UPDATE!!

Nils said NEVER drill an auger in hammer mode. Hard on the system.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BATTERY UPDATE!!

It's going to get a lot slower very soon.... Better get to know Frank....

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It's going to get a lot slower very soon.... Better get to know Frank....
Really!! Guess Ill have to double check the drill. Didn't seem like much difference from the drill setting. Just seemed slower. Am I missing something?? 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
don't use hammer setting. keep it in drill mode.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
don't use hammer setting. keep it in drill mode.
Good to know gentleman!! Thanks for letting know.

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
I picked up a 6" Eskimo Pistol bit this season and have to say I'm impressed, it cuts far better than the 6" Kdrill I bought last year(in fact I used the K drill one outing and went back to my laser). No hangup at the bottom of the hole at all, your drilling along and the next thing you know water is coming up the hole. It even cuts a little better (no hangup)than the 6" laser I ran on my drill from 2012-2017, but it is alot lighter(augar itself is just under 3.5lbs). My whole setup (augar with the blade cover, and drill with the battery) is 8lbs 8oz and the drill I'm running is an old(heavy) craftsman 20v lithium I picked up in 2011 to run my 6" laser the next season. Still running the original 2 batteries that came with the drill when I bought it, I always make sure to keep them in my coat when I'm out on the ice and not drilling holes and they are still going strong.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.