Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 75756 times)

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
Anyone else have where the handle connects to the drill strip off? Those little metal tabs are gone off my drill after a few uses where the auger caught and twisted the handle causing them to strip off.  Pretty poor design if you ask me, needs more to grab onto.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Anyone else have where the handle connects to the drill strip off? Those little metal tabs are gone off my drill after a few uses where the auger caught and twisted the handle causing them to strip off.  Pretty poor design if you ask me, needs more to grab onto.
oh man.i havent got to use mine yet but thats the exact reason I bought the clam plate.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great stuff!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
any pictures?

make sure to align them correctly as you tighten it down.
been using this handle system for a long time.

hd has a 90 day hassle free return policy. if you didn't attach it correctly and striped it ridgid will repair it, or exchange it at hd or get your money back is fastest resolve.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac

What brand of drill?

<°)))>{

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was so excited to try out the Rigid Octane, Clam drill plate on a 7 inch Mora auger. Now after reading other post I am very concerned. The drill is a beast that is for sure. I just hope with this wobble it has now won't translate when it is cutting holes.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I was so excited to try out the Rigid Octane, Clam drill plate on a 7 inch Mora auger. Now after reading other post I am very concerned. The drill is a beast that is for sure. I just hope with this wobble it has now won't translate when it is cutting holes.
same here only 8" mora.dont fret over anything yet.wait till you try it out cutting ice..the plate is not made to have tight tolerances.sounds like we either deal with some wobble or break the handle off the drill.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
same here only 8" mora.dont fret over anything yet.wait till you try it out cutting ice..the plate is not made to have tight tolerances.sounds like we either deal with some wobble or break the handle off the drill.
I think everyone should wait and see. I personally think I got a bad Clam Plate. This is the first I have heard of the tabs breaking off the Drills. Hopefully it is an isolated thing.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Could you post what type Auger you was using? Might help others by slowing down at break through.
<===Lefty===

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular

I agree, there is no way it can possibly be balanced. All I do know is when I run it while waiting for ice I can see the wobble. I am just hoping if you start slown in the ice, it will correct itself.

I have read about others post saying that there is wobble in the air and it ran fine in the ice. I sure hope this is the case!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
And I drilled 267 8" holes through 29" if hard clear ice when it was -20 with a wind chill of -49 with my 20v craftsman and 2 ah battery.  See what I did there?  All joking aside, it looks like the Ridgid is just as good as the fuels but for way, way cheaper. At least for now.

Only posting a comparison. It would seem the rigid/nils 9ah is a ice cutting machine. The rigid is $50 cheaper. The nils is way more expensive than a mora. Id say both are about even. ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I took my extension off and went outside and ran mine with the cover on top of a plastic 5 gallon bucket lid.it does wobble but with a little pressure put on the bit it transfers into the plate that kind of rocks around.so once a hole is started in ice I believe the bit will be true cutting but you will notice it in the plate handles.acted the same with or without extension.fwiw.i know its not a good test but im getting antsy to get this thing cutting some ice.and if it doesn’t im out of the drill gang.lol

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
Ill take some pics when I get home. Its the Ridgid Octane drill turning a 7" strikemaster laser auger. I had them aligned when I put the handle on, just doesn't seem like there is enough material there to grab onto. Ill return it to home depot and get a new one. Love the set up for hole hopping and getting a ton of holes per charge.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
thanks dbuchmann. try to lift it during break thru to avoid the rough cut. this makes it shave more and cut less so it gets thru smoothly.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I would like to see the pictures of what broke....

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I still have only drilled 10 holes through 5-6" of ice with my rigid / fin bore combo but purposely left it on ice all day yesterday in 20-25 degree weather to see how battery would do.  If I'm going to use this thing , it's going to have to perform without being babysat like some I read.  It did go from 4 bars to 3 but does chew ice fast once you get it started for sure.   Definitely binds as you get ready to break though.  In my opinion, the best way to set it up is with the drill in your strong hand and auxiliary handle in other.  I can only see the auxiliary  hand being a problem stripping off if you don't really tighten it down.  As an aside, I bought the $20 phone charger  adapter and works very well,  chargest fast, good add on for those of us with camps that have no power.  I'm moving my initial review from a "C" to a "C+" accordingly,  it will be interesting to see how /if this performs when we get 2' of ice.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
I’m 100 holes in and no problem with mine!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
I was wondering what functionality the Bluetooth capability offered, thanks for sharing the screen shots.
I think the sale goes to 2-4-19

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
Ill take some pics when I get home. Its the Ridgid Octane drill turning a 7" strikemaster laser auger. I had them aligned when I put the handle on, just doesn't seem like there is enough material there to grab onto. Ill return it to home depot and get a new one. Love the set up for hole hopping and getting a ton of holes per charge.

Update please? What exactly broke? Did you get it replaced?

^^^This.
Tight lines!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Update please? What exactly broke? Did you get it replaced?

^^^This.
I’d be interested to see as well
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
they kept the same exact design as their other aux handle contact points. here is my old brushed genx5 with 780 inch pounds used for years on ice, concrete basket saws and metal. there is some wear on it because if you don't keep it tight it can walk some while under load or if you don't align it correctly and have it sitting on the kicker it can't sit squarely either. if it wears down to far it will be replaced for free. no worries.

back drill is the octane

foot print size between the two. octane is shorter body length and wider.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
Sorry guys just forgot to get on here the last few days. Not the greatest pictures but you can see where it stripped off. Also I can't tighten the handle down further onto a different position on the drill. Wont tighten up for me. Wondering if maybe I just got a bad handle

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
sure looks cracked. ridgid will repair it free. wondering why the handle is acting up and you have a cracked ear at the same time.
can you take the handle apart. it should be in 5 parts.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
I took my extension off and went outside and ran mine with the cover on top of a plastic 5 gallon bucket lid.it does wobble but with a little pressure put on the bit it transfers into the plate that kind of rocks around.so once a hole is started in ice I believe the bit will be true cutting but you will notice it in the plate handles.acted the same with or without extension.fwiw.i know its not a good test but im getting antsy to get this thing cutting some ice.and if it doesn’t im out of the drill gang.lol

i filled up a 5 gallon bucket with water and froze it a few years ago just to see how it would act before the ice season started. 

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
Sorry guys just forgot to get on here the last few days. Not the greatest pictures but you can see where it stripped off. Also I can't tighten the handle down further onto a different position on the drill. Wont tighten up for me. Wondering if maybe I just got a bad handle

Looks like the handle wasn't seated on the ear all the way.  Weird that your handle seems messed up too.
Tight lines!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The more I use mine, the more I enjoy and am impressed.   Probably up to 50 holes now, still at 2 bars.  Have been leaving it sitting out in cold purposely and we've had some cold days.  As far as the auxiliary handle. I have just gotten nto the habit of making sure its "snub" everytime I grab it, no problems. It's been great for walking trips, we'll see what it does when ice gets thick.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Well, the next question is do you live within driving distance from a LSA dealer? If not your going to have to send it all in to be repaired. A friend of mine paid to ship it and waited 5 weeks for it to return.... Just a heads up.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
you can put the aux. handle on the next two ears and use it like a plate. make sure you figure out whats wrong with the aux handle first so it doesn't keep breaking the ears. i would be on the phone to get a new aux handle sent to you asap.

another option is try to find a straight out put shaft on a new clam plate. take the drill with you to the store and try the shaft in your drill before you go home. maybe you can find a straight one that way. it should not waiver or wobble or have any run out. just put the saft into your drill. no need to put it in the plate for testing them. i still may do this because mine is bent.

have the ear replaced after season.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
I'm nowhere near a lsa or even a home depot. Talked to home depot and they are going to send me a whole new drill when they come in stock and ill ship mine back. I took the handle apart and it seems like it needs more threads on the bolt to be able to tighten it down more. Hopefully the new one solves my problems because I love the set up

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.