Author Topic: Clam plate problem  (Read 3106 times)

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
Clam plate problem
« on: Feb 05, 2021, 07:17 PM »
I have a rounded “gear bit” I guess you’d call it. Where the drill attaches to the auger...the gear “bit”. I run on low speed in drill mode with my Milwaukee and must have too much speed because it’s rounded off my connection. It just spins the drill when I pull trigger not turning drill cause it’s rounded now. Cheap metal?  Can’t find part to replace without buying whole new “gear box”?  Same price as new clam plate...$79 or so. Anyone else have problems rounding this off?

Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam plate problem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2021, 07:26 PM »
I've got some of those metal shavings, but not nearly that bad.  You can get the part from Clam for like $15.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2021, 07:32 PM »
Looks like your chuck probably came loose and spun on the "Bit". Contact clam, I bet they send you a free one. If not its less than $20
EYECONICFISHING

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2021, 08:10 PM »
Found on Clam site a replacement but it says it won’t fit first generation clam plates, only new ones. Mines two years old...not sure what generation that it is? 

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2021, 08:15 PM »
so after looking at your picture I can tell that you don't have the new style gear box on your plate that costs $79.99 (please take a picture of the whole thing on both sides of the plate so I can confirm this for sure). I can tell this because if you look close at your picture you can see that from where the c clip is to the top of the plate there is about a 3/8 inch spacing. that space is from the shaft bushing. as for the shaft it self that is the part that your drill rounded off. this happened most likely because the flats of your chuck didn't contact the flats on the shaft thus rounding the shaft when the drill slipped on it. here is the replacement shaft that you need : https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/drill-plate-hex-bit-shaft.html     this is the new style gear box and if this was on your plate the c clip would be even with the top of where the shaft comes out of it.  https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/power-drive-gear-box.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2021, 08:19 PM »
that $14.99 part will work on your plate. the first gen plate was the one where you took the chuck off the drill and put a adapter on in place of the chuck.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2021, 08:20 PM »
Found on Clam site a replacement but it says it won’t fit first generation clam plates, only new ones. Mines two years old...not sure what generation that it is?

It's a second generation.  The first gen plates you had to take the chuck off the drill.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2021, 08:28 PM »
Slamminsam,

I am going to send a link to this thread to my contact at Customer service and see if there is something he can do for you. there was a batch of these shafts that had issues but it has been a few years since that happened. for some reason the metal was a softer metal. The issue was fixed after it came to their attention.  worst that could happen is that they can't send you a new one as a warranty claim and then you would need to buy a replacement one. I can PM you once I hear back from him and see what he can do you.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2021, 09:11 PM »
Pics of it

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2021, 09:17 PM »
just pull that top c clip off the shaft and the shaft will drop right out. you will need to re use that c clip unless you want to order a new one of those too.

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2021, 09:44 PM »
Looks like the part the drill chucks onto? My eskimo pistol bit gets rounded a bit every season and I just put it on a bench grinder and make flats again..looks like you can do the same for 0$ if you hand a grinder of some sort..I might be mistaken though..i've never used the plate..

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2021, 10:24 PM »
Pics of it

Hard to tell from your pictures, is the shaft just silver (steel colored) or is it a golden rainbow colored (hardened steel)? Like Monticatgeek said, there were some out there with a soft steel shaft.. My buddy had one, and we bent the ever living crap out of it the first time he used it. Sent a video/pics to clam and had a replacement part in 2 days, replacement was the golden color and the original was normal steel. I ended up beating the original one back somewhat straight with a hammer in the vise, it was really soft. My other buddy's clam plate and my clam plate both came with the golden/rainbow hardened steel.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2021, 07:27 AM »
I would try customer service at Clam first ..call and/or Email ..if no free resolution order the Drill Plate Hex Bit Shaft 04688

https://clamoutdoors.com/pages/contact-us

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/drill-plate-hex-bit-shaft.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2021, 09:01 AM »
Clam has what I consider great customer service. If you are lucky and can speak with their Rep named Madison I am sure she will take care of you in short order.

One thing you will need to keep an eye on when you get the plate repaired is the chuck always being tight on that shaft. A buddy runs a Jiffy auger bit with his Clam plate and they run in reverse from most others. His chuck is always loosening up simply because of the reverse drilling. It is a bit hard to get a tight twist on the chuck with the drill on the plate so just check it often.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2021, 10:17 AM »
slaminnsam sent you a PM.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2021, 12:45 PM »
I believe the real solution is not to spend the money on a Clam plate, extra gear  box etc. When I decided to go from my Ion to a drill it was to redude weight and also Bulk, with the plate it is just as bulky as my Ion was. So many people have problems with the plate also, I see them wrapped in tape, rope, string etc. All I have is the Milwaukee drill with the Cabellas e-drill...period. Under 10 lbs, works great, and 1/2 the size!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2021, 01:20 PM »
I believe the real solution is not to spend the money on a Clam plate, extra gear  box etc. When I decided to go from my Ion to a drill it was to redude weight and also Bulk, with the plate it is just as bulky as my Ion was. So many people have problems with the plate also, I see them wrapped in tape, rope, string etc. All I have is the Milwaukee drill with the Cabellas e-drill...period. Under 10 lbs, works great, and 1/2 the size!

Not everyone goes to a drill to save weight. Some of us don't mind carrying around a little more weight, and appreciate not having to drill a half hole to keep our drill off the ice.

I absolutely love the clam plate, and would never consider owning a drill without it. I've hit too many logs just under the ice, I'd like to keep my wrists intact.

Aside from the plates with the soft shafts like we mentioned, every other "issue" Ive seen posted has been user error. Improperly mounting the drill, not tightening the chuck correctly, mounting the trigger mech incorrectly (breaks the drills trigger), etc.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2021, 05:13 PM »
I have the 2nd generation Clam Plate just like yours and the chuck on my drill locks down tight with no slippage.  But I have this concern, even with the shaft rounded by the chuck slipping, why aren't you able to tighten the chuck tight enough to hold the shaft?  Scenario: When you lock down on a standard drill bit a good chuck does not allow the drill bit to slip, so if your chuck is good why can't you lock the chuck tight on the round shaft?  I would check out the chuck on your drill, I think you may have a problem there also.

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2021, 03:50 AM »
There is no chuck that would hold on a round shaft on an ice auger with all the torque the auger delivers back to the drill. Hole saws for drills even have a hexagon end on them because of the torque on the chuck.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2021, 07:35 AM »
Correct, a rounded bit won’t work...that’s my problem. It started off hex shaped but got spun round. After an initial contact it has been suggested that it was “operator” error and I will have to order a new one. Clam will not be replacing...without a fee or shipping. I’ll need to really make sure the chuck is on correct and tight (I thought that was obvious...I’ve used drills and bits before). I’m wondering if I could almost use a torque wrench attachment somehow to really make sure it’s grabbing the bit correctly. Any thoughts. I’m just worried it’ll make the drill go too high up and the Clam trigger will miss the drill trigger.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:01 AM »
Correct, a rounded bit won’t work...that’s my problem. It started off hex shaped but got spun round. After an initial contact it has been suggested that it was “operator” error and I will have to order a new one. Clam will not be replacing...without a fee or shipping. I’ll need to really make sure the chuck is on correct and tight (I thought that was obvious...I’ve used drills and bits before). I’m wondering if I could almost use a torque wrench attachment somehow to really make sure it’s grabbing the bit correctly. Any thoughts. I’m just worried it’ll make the drill go too high up and the Clam trigger will miss the drill trigger.
Can you take it off and grind some corners onto it?
<===Lefty===

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:03 AM »
sam; if you get the new shaft from clam, i don,t think you,ll have a problem.  thousands of them being used every year satisfactory . i think you got one of the faulty soft ones, n, the new one will be fine. just remember to check chuck at start of day. good luck. wire

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:06 AM »
All drill Chucks are not created equal. I have had a few that continually loosened up during drilling and others that lock onto the bits very securely. The chuck has three teeth that should be centered over the flats of the new shaft before you attempt to tighten the chuck fully. My Milwaukee 1/2" hammer drill has a great chuck on it and stays tight all the time but I always check it before I start drilling anyway. I DO NOT recommend this but if the chuck you have is subject to loosening and you can't change it or get a new drill You could use a good set of Channel Lock pliers to get it real tight.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2021, 12:32 PM »
My first clam plate rounded like yours (bought it like 3 years ago) by the end of the 1st season. I replaced it and have not had a problem since. That's one of the problems with keyless chucks and other tools that have gotten away from using a tool to tighten them. The fast stopping brake on the Milwaukee drills might have a tendency of loosening the bit also. I think I might have had a Clam Plate with bad spline on it though. haven't done any thing different.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2021, 12:53 PM »
sent you a pm.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2021, 08:08 AM »
Well, it’s been over a week and I’m still waiting for new bit from Clam. I get no shipping updates unless I call or email them. They tell me it shipped last Monday (still not here) and my updates might be in my spam box...I don’t see them. Regardless, I’ve been using my back up attachment that goes directly on drill/ to auger attachment. No problems (just don’t have plate and trigger). So it makes me feel better that it’s not my chuck. Drill hasn’t “spun out” or rounded this bit. Kinda makes me feel that it WAS the Clam bit. I’m hoping new bit (if it ever arrives) is better and works. Boy, when the auger hits “lock ice” (bottom 1/2”) that drill can really twist in hand. So I can see how by holding an auger/ Clam plate can put torque on that Clam bit if it’s not allowed to twist (because of plate handles).  But the Milwaukee drill handle attachment is working just fine with drill to auger direct attachment.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2021, 08:17 AM »
This video may help with the aliment of the chuck onto the plate

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2021, 12:33 PM »
Cool video. Might look to get a “quick chuck”.  I will probably mark my drill as well so I know where those teeth retract.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2021, 12:41 PM »
Cool video. Might look to get a “quick chuck”.  I will probably mark my drill as well so I know where those teeth retract.

Not certain you can use a quick chuck with the Clam Plate ..now the ION Quick Release should work as I believe its 18mm input/output .

https://ioniceaugers.com/products/ion-quick-release-drill-adapter#:~:text=The%20ION%20quick%20release%20%2F%20drill%20adapter%20combo,one%2C%20with%20no%20need%20for%20any%20additional%20tools.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:55 PM »

Yours is not a 1st or second gen. The drill chucks came off them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.