Author Topic: Quest for the Giant Perch  (Read 9278 times)

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Quest for the Giant Perch
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:03 AM »
I have to admit I had to google perspective photography. while I don't understand making beautiful jumbos look like 6lb bass I can believe you didn't "doctor" these photos. I found a couple examples online.

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:29 AM »
There is no way those photos are photo shopped. If anything, good editing to make sure they are more crisp. Those are very impressive perch. Good job.

Offline chasdc1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:58 PM »
WoW  :)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2018, 05:04 PM »
I have to admit I had to google perspective photography. while I don't understand making beautiful jumbos look like 6lb bass I can believe you didn't "doctor" these photos. I found a couple examples online.

They don't look like 6 pound bass.  If you know about photography your subject matter should be the focus.  Why take a picture of a fish and have it take up less than 5 % of the frame.  Just keep your eyes open and look at all the professional anglers, hunters, magazines.  This is how wildlife fishing and hunting photography brings the image to live.  Perspective is everything and if you want to make your big fish look good in a photo then use a perspective photo.  Because the opposite is also correct, most novice anglers take terrible pictures of their big fish and it reduces the subject matter to insignificance.  I find guys who don't know how to take a good photo are the same ones always calling out photoshop and arm extention.  I'm not worried about what people think.  When I look back in 40 years I don't want to have to squint to see the fish in the photos. 
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline SHUBA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shuba
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2018, 05:42 PM »
I myself don't care what people think either, but believe all would agree
those are some real nice hog perch excellent eating.
 Here on my home lake we get some  big hog perch as well but those are some
real beauties . Congrats and be proud of them , belly filling table fare for sure
Shuba<br />Hardwater Fanatic

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:11 PM »
wow very nice great pics ;D
retired let the fishing begin

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Very nice haul! I myself fished that lake for the first time this winter and am currently leading the iceshanty tourney with a 16 1/2" hog. I believe you lol there are some giants in there.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Very nice haul! I myself fished that lake for the first time this winter and am currently leading the iceshanty tourney with a 16 1/2" hog. I believe you lol there are some giants in there.

You did well!  We didn't get any 16 inchers this year.  Maybe next year.

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:45 AM »
Man them are some giant Perch! Sounds like someone is a little jealous lol!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:45 PM »
O.K. I'm going to make some enemies here.

1. I believe the stated size of the perch and they are impressive.

however

2. There obviously is some zooming, cutting, pasting, and alteration of some of the fish in the photos to make them look larger.  Not saying it's to deceive but perhaps to make the photos look better?

And no I don't have any reason to be jealous as I harvest perch in that size range annually in my aquaculture pond that I feed and raise to sell for taxidermists. I harvested one back in 2005 that was over 16 inches and 2 lbs. 13 oz. I don't kill perch until they reach at least 14 inches and my harvested fish run in the range of 14 + to 15 +.

But notice they don't look as big as the photos in the thread.

Same two fish:

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #40 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:51 PM »

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:53 PM »

Do you want me to point out the edging that appears on the outside of some of the fish?  Can you explain the problem with the fingers under one of the trout?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #42 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Id love for you to prove these were edited....

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Id love for you to prove these were edited....

I'm not getting into a pissing match with you. I said I had no doubt they were every bit as big as they were purported to be. My issue is when people use techniques to make them look even larger. We are all aware of the technique of pushing the fish closer to the camera lense to make it look bigger. Why would one have to do that with such impressive fish?

The wife who does photography editing says there are some edges around at least one of the fish that were not completely cropped off when editing. Maybe she's wrong? Maybe there's another explanation?  And the fingers on the anglers left hand don't look right under the one of the trout. Looks suspicious.

If I am wrong I stand corrected. I suppose I should have just kept my mouth shut.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #44 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:36 AM »
Every single pic... look at the size of his hands then look at the size of your hands. Not hard to extrapolate the general size of those fish.  None of those fish stand out as being out of the ordinary (not saying they aren’t massive perch) especially for where they came from. And most of the fish have white bellies....like most perch tend to have.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:14 PM »
Those aren't my hands and I'm not the one in the picture. ;D I get volunteers to harvest any perch that are over 14 inches every year from the trophy perch and bluegill pond. He's a local high school kid. No shortage of volunteers in my all female yellow perch and all male bluegill pond.

This is my last post in this thread. I should have kept my trap shut. I apologize for any one that may have become offended. As I said in every post here they are nice fish and I have no doubt they are as big as indicated. I just think the photos make them look even bigger than they are and the rainbow picture has me puzzled.

Here are some perch stats out of my pond, a year I was only able to run the seine through only once due to dismal weather as I take them out just before they drop their eggs for maximum weight. If they were not as big as stated I would have hell to pay from the buyers. Also a few I forgot to list. Keep in mind in most states fish out of public waters are illegal to sell but mine are out of a private pond on my farm.

https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/416252/

https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/416690/

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Nice fish no matter what

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 25, 2018, 12:55 AM »
Those aren't my hands and I'm not the one in the picture. ;D I get volunteers to harvest any perch that are over 14 inches every year from the trophy perch and bluegill pond. He's a local high school kid. No shortage of volunteers in my all female yellow perch and all male bluegill pond.

This is my last post in this thread. I should have kept my trap shut. I apologize for any one that may have become offended. As I said in every post here they are nice fish and I have no doubt they are as big as indicated. I just think the photos make them look even bigger than they are and the rainbow picture has me puzzled.

Here are some perch stats out of my pond, a year I was only able to run the seine through only once due to dismal weather as I take them out just before they drop their eggs for maximum weight. If they were not as big as stated I would have hell to pay from the buyers. Also a few I forgot to list. Keep in mind in most states fish out of public waters are illegal to sell but mine are out of a private pond on my farm.

https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/416252/

https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/416690/

All the pictures were taken on my Samsung S5 phone and uploaded straight to Flickr.  No edit, no crop, no nothing.  Whatever you think is strange in the pictures is probably artifact from lighting, reflection and shadows in the natural environment of the great outdoors with sun, clouds and snow.  Just well framed pictures with a push when they were taken.  I seriously don't have time to sit and edit pictures. Only editing I do is when I upload pictures to Instagram since its fast and easy to brighten the pictures up.  I'm puzzled why anyone would want to buy a perch to mount.  I thought people usually like to catch the stuff they have taxidermy stuff for them.  I think you need some better pictures on your sight Taxi1, the one of the guy holding those two perch isn't that impressive.  When a 14 inch perch should look impressive. Do yourself a service and learn a trick or two from my pics.  Your wife being a photographer maybe she could give you some pointers.

I also think its funny you said your reason for not being jealous is because the wild caught perch are the same as your domestically fed pets. 

Offline Idahoice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 25, 2018, 02:13 AM »

Let me guess the responses “doctored”. Brandon looks like these guys are awefully jealous of these monster Idaho perch.

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:12 AM »
I'd not getting into a pissing match with you. I said I had no doubt they were every bit as big as they were purported to be. My issue is when people use techniques to make them look even larger. We are all aware of the technique of pushing the fish closer to the camera lense to make it look bigger. Why would one have to do that with such impressive fish?

The wife who does photography editing says there are some edges around at least one of the fish that were not completely cropped off when editing. Maybe she's wrong? Maybe there's another explanation?  And the fingers on the anglers left hand don't look right under the one of the trout. Looks suspicious.

(Image removed from quote.)

If I am wrong I stand corrected. I suppose I should have just kept my mouth shut.

Big fan of how cuz says the hand under the trout looks suspicious but doesn't realize its a shadow from the pectoral fin. Get real. You may want to check those editing skills credentials that make the pictures "suspicious". If you don't like the perspective the OP posted don't comment simple as that. Unlike yourself I really appreciate the photos of this wild caught jumbos they're great fish definitely something to be proud of and show off.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:32 PM »

Let me guess the responses “doctored”. Brandon looks like these guys are awefully jealous of these monster Idaho perch.

Haha yup!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Feb 28, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Yup buncha envious posers- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Nov 10, 2018, 12:18 PM »
All the pictures were taken on my Samsung S5 phone and uploaded straight to Flickr.  No edit, no crop, no nothing.  Whatever you think is strange in the pictures is probably artifact from lighting, reflection and shadows in the natural environment of the great outdoors with sun, clouds and snow.  Just well framed pictures with a push when they were taken.  I seriously don't have time to sit and edit pictures. Only editing I do is when I upload pictures to Instagram since its fast and easy to brighten the pictures up.  I'm puzzled why anyone would want to buy a perch to mount.  I thought people usually like to catch the stuff they have taxidermy stuff for them.  I think you need some better pictures on your sight Taxi1, the one of the guy holding those two perch isn't that impressive.  When a 14 inch perch should look impressive. Do yourself a service and learn a trick or two from my pics.  Your wife being a photographer maybe she could give you some pointers.

I also think its funny you said your reason for not being jealous is because the wild caught perch are the same as your domestically fed pets.

A little late but better late than never, but this has been the first time I've been here since last ice season.

I apologize. I believe you.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Nov 10, 2018, 02:06 PM »

Fish Fingers are the only way I have ever caught perch that big.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Nov 16, 2018, 04:04 PM »
Beautiful fish, I really like tha jig that looks like a fish what is that?

Offline pawaide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Nov 17, 2018, 05:00 AM »
I was going to say that these pictures look like they were framed on the wall of the most well revered orthodontist in Alberta. lol......oh, and that those are some amazing fish!!

Tight lines all.

Pawaide

Offline PSCfishingking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 25, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Absolutely love this!!!!

Fish Fingers are the only way I have ever caught perch that big.

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Nov 28, 2018, 04:40 PM »

Big fan of how cuz says the hand under the trout looks suspicious but doesn't realize its a shadow from the pectoral fin. Get real. You may want to check those editing skills credentials that make the pictures "suspicious". If you don't like the perspective the OP posted don't comment simple as that. Unlike yourself I really appreciate the photos of this wild caught jumbos they're great fish definitely something to be proud of and show off.

Who would photoshop a 18" Rainbow anyways lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.