New Hampshire > Ice Fishing New Hampshire

Newfound Circus Season 2018

(1/140) > >>

JIGGIN-:
Hello Everyone! Happy New Years! Welcome to the Newfound Circus Thread for Season 2018.

Season 2018 is now underway and good ol’ jack frost is on our side this year. Newfound lake has some pretty decent ice from the foot of the lake up to Cummings Beach. Houses are going out and the Circus is starting to come together. One of my favorite times of the season, watching houses with old / new friends joining in and getting their gear ready for hopefully a very long season of good ice fishing.

For those that don’t know, Newfound Lake is a very clean clear cold water lake. There is great lake trout fishing, cusk fishing and really nice rainbow trout fishing. I also believe the next state record for yellow perch will come out of Newfound. Some huge yellows in the lake. I’ve heard really good small mouth bass as well.
For us it all starts out at the south end of the lake so we can work out any bugs and get things working again in our bobhouses then eventually we migrate north. From there we all split up and hit “our spots” all around the lake. Although we might not be near each other, we are never alone.  We communicate via FRS walkie talkies on Channel 5.5 with lots of chatter on the radio (Please note, not kid friendly) that anyone can jump in and holler out, We’ll go visiting when the fishing is slow and help each other out in times of need. Every weekend there seems to be something going on which keeps us all coming back and looking forward to more. You just never know but one thing for sure, there is plenty of laughs and great camaraderie among those that fish Newfound Lake.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to post comments, provide updates, videos, pictures, questions or whatever from their adventures on Newfound. Its fun to share and keeps the thread interesting.
FYI, To be a member of the Newfond Circus, you simply need to fish Newfound, have a handle, a FRS radio is a good idea and drop any issues or hangups you may have at shore before stepping onto the ice. Our season is short and we want to make the most of it in a positive fashion. Be kind to each other and lend a hand whenever possible and pay it forward. Set the example for others to follow so they can pay it forward too.
As we all know, mother nature can be a real….well you know. Working together we can overcome pretty much any adversaries she may dish out. Untied we stand, divided we get our arses kicked….or something like that….wasnt much good at quotes.

So without further ado, Let the madness begin to what we consider one of the best times of the year to enjoy the great outdoors and each others awesome company.
I hope everyone has a safe and productive Season 2018.

Cheers!

01/01/2018 update from today:

Laker Taker ended the day with 4 lakers and 1 cusk, Tippin with 1 and i lost 2 (one on the spring line and another jigging). CH saw lakers on the camera all day and Laker Taker even saw some smelt (he lost 5 on a Hali jig). Lakers were hitting Cut Bait, Smelt and Red Fin Shiners. They were happy to see us again or just hungry. We are fishing in 33 to 37 fow. Right now at Cummings beach we have about 13" of ice. Looking at the forecast, we'll be making more! The temp was very cold today. Reached -31F with wind chill and saw wind speeds up to 30 mph. Typical of Newfound i.e.: windy.
Visibility on the camera was good having not much snow cover on the ice. Sun light was able to get through.

Troutfreak got his house out this morning fishing along with Maggot. There was also a small portable on the lake for most of the day, must of been a bit tough fishing out in it and as CH and i were leaving, we saw another couple heading out and setting up another portable.

Noticed several people stopping by the parking lot taking pictures of the crazy ice fishermen / women. Even saw a couple come out to take selfies of themselves on the ice with the houses in the background. Pretty cold for selfies. They didnt stay long.

Setting up the house took a bit of time this morning. Been almost a year so out of practice but it came together eventually. I'll get some more practice tomorrow morning as I'm heading back out.

Will post up pictures later.

jimmyrig:
Good to see the new thread started as usual Jiggin. Hope you folks all have a great safe and successful season!

wish we were closer, We would be out there joining you guys...

Jason

redneckfisherman5:
I'll be out there Wednesday with the nice weather ! Got a new flip over shelter to try out for running and gunning looking for lake trout!

Coffin Dodger:
Good luck to the circus crew.
You guys set a great example for all anglers.

Please let Denny and I know if there are any Stephanie sightings.
Heard rumors that there will be cookies on the dark side when applicable.

Glo.Bug:
First time fishing at Newfound Lake today. Had a bit of a late start...accidentally locked ourselves out of the apartment...but finally got to the lake late afternoon. Set up the quickfish and got the new buddy heater going. Had a few bites on some shiners and saw a couple fish on the flasher. Packed up and headed out once it started to get dark out. Almost left frozen boyfriend behind on ice when we were leaving, but I didn't want to pull back both sleds..  Beautiful place and can't wait to fish there again next weekend!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version