The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New OLD kid on the block  (Read 594 times)

Offline metalsled1

• IceShanty Rookie
New OLD kid on the block
« on: Feb 01, 2019, 02:44 PM »
Greetings everyone, new member to the site, look forward to everything the site offers.  Just retired last year so for the first time in 40 years am able to ice fish weekdays........and every day there's ice! I live in Northern York County but grew up in the Lehigh Valley and spent a couple years in OH and IL during my working career. While new to the site am not new to ice fishing.  Started ice fishing as a kid with dad at Wallenpaupack in 1965 and it's been one of my favorite outdoor hobbies ever since. Good luck to all and stay safe out there.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New OLD kid on the block
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2019, 02:45 PM »
Welcome to a great site, lots of into and ideas here. Enjoy your stay.

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Welcome back to the hard water world. Tight lines and be safe.
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline Unclejoestuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Welcome stay safe and check conditions and don’t be afraid to ask questions bunch of good fishermen on site

Offline Black Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Welcome.....Very friendly and helpful people on the site. Enjoy the cold weather!

Offline metalsled1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Thanks guys, hopefully meet some members on the ice. Generally fish Pinchot, Laurel and Shepherd Myers (Old Hanover Water Dam) along with some private ponds. Want to try Holman this coming week as well, never fished it before.

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2019, 03:06 AM »
    Welcome to The Shanty metalsled1 !!    :thumbsup:

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2019, 04:03 AM »
Welcome! I to fished the pack in the late 70s as a kid with my dad and brother. Was great fishing. Remember Gus driving his van all over the lake?

Offline metalsled1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2019, 06:14 AM »
Hi Iceattic - agreed, lots of fond memories fishing Paupack back in the late 60s/early 70s with my dad.  Don't remember Gus but if it was late 70s I was already in college and missed that spectacle. We used to fish at the campground in Wilsonville.  Nobody was jigging anything back then, it was strictly a tip up affair running medium shiners. We never caught a lot of fish but what we caught was very nice, usually browns in the 14 - 22 inch range and an occasional jumbo perch.  The day usually included making hot dogs on the homemade grill and me lacing up my hockey skates for a little skating back and forth to check tip ups. At the end of a cold day we loaded the gear into dad's '55 Buick Roadmaster and headed home, with him yelling at me for falling asleep before getting out of the parking lot - emphasis on the need for me to stay awake so he'd stay awake driving! The old man is gone 30 years now but I can't help smiling thinking of those trips.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:34 AM »
Welcome to the Shanty Metalsled1 . Nice memories .That's what it's all about . Lots of friendly members here with tons of great information . Enjoy your stay !

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:39 AM »
Welcome aboard metalsled.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline rlusk3030

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:46 AM »
Welcome to the site! It's been a great resource for me and many friends. Hope to see you on the ice sometime.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Welcome to the site.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Metalsled, we did take lots of eyes and perch back then. We fished everywhere on the pack, ice and summer. I just told my brother the other day dad and I were at ledgedale and we were jigging a flag goes up so I reel up and dad let's his on the bottom with a light drag and bucket handle over the rod. We can hear the drag on his pole singing he goes running he fights the fish for around a half hour thinking he has a big eye! I keep looking down the hole and can't see all of a sudden here it comes!! A 36 inch carp!! What a fight and a laugh we had! Good times.

Offline metalsled1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:07 PM »
Great story iceattic! Nothing like a big nasty carp to make you laugh. will take that memory to your grave. Never fished Ledgedale, but back then that was always the place on the lake known for walleyes.

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:53 AM »
Welcome Metalsled.  This is the best sight for honest information and like minded ice fishermen.  I too started ice fishing around '65 with my dad.  Wish I was retired and could go anytime rather than one day on the weekend.  I have so many lakes to fish and just can't get to them one day a week.  But, I'm getting there.

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:44 PM »
Welcome to the site buddy  :clap:
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.