The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Tanaka Power Heads for Nils  (Read 4207 times)

Offline bds85466

• IceShanty Rookie
Tanaka Power Heads for Nils
« on: Nov 18, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Anyone have any good leads on where to get one?  I have an 8" Nils hand auger and am considering taking the plunge to power up.

I also feel like I'm seeing two different models out there?  Do they usually come with adapters or do you have to find them somewhere?

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Tanaka Power Heads for Nils
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Where the heck do you live?? Please update your profile with your location so people can point you in the right direction!!! Thanks!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2014, 03:49 PM »
purchased the tanaka this year as well and was able to try it out yesterday actually. I have the 27cc model with a mora 8in auger. I am very happy so far. Only thing I don't like is the mora tends to pull the auger down through the whole when it breaks through. Not sure what to do about that. For my adapter I had a local machinest make it for me. He overbuilt it in my opionion as it adds about 2lbs of weight. Oh well, its built so that I can adjust auger length for thicker ice up north. Adapter cost me $97. I found my tanaka as a refurbished and shipped to my door for $325. A google search will get you in the right direction. Good little motor. Would highly recommend.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2014, 03:52 PM »
btw it was 4 degrees with 20mph winds. The tanaka started and ran just fine. no issues. thing purs.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2014, 04:33 PM »
I got a little Tanaka 305 last year for a very decent price used and it's an awesome little motor.
Runs my 10 1/4" Strikemaster drill no problem. It starts and runs like a dream too.
  :thumbsup:

Offline bds85466

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Where the heck do you live?? Please update your profile with your location so people can point you in the right direction!!! Thanks!!

Done.  I figured it's a global marketplace these days anyway so it shouldn't matter -- then I remembered I'm talking to ice anglers.

Offline bds85466

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:33 AM »
I got a little Tanaka 305 last year for a very decent price used and it's an awesome little motor.
Runs my 10 1/4" Strikemaster drill no problem. It starts and runs like a dream too.
  :thumbsup:

....so Drifter, where'd you get it?  Do you have the model number so I could search it online?

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:29 AM »
I run the Tanaka 270 it is a great power head! I bought mine on redrockstore out of Ely. They were great to deal with and shipping was quick. Season #2 starts tomorrow with it! I run 6" Nils on mine. One trick to avoid getting pulled through the ice is to let up on the throttle a little before it breaks through. No need to push at all with a Nils as you know I believe you shouldn't have to with the mora either. Both cut well.
Fishin red lines

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Did you do a Google search?  Amazon has them at just over $400 TYD for the TED-270PFDH... cheapest price I could find and I'm sure you'll have to remove the chuck and buy the Nils adapter.

Cabelas and marine general have the same model for around $550, those may come set up with the Nils adapter but I have no idea if that's the case.

You can watch ebay as well... I stole a Tanaka 350 off there this summer.  I had an adapter made and now it's bolted up to my Strikemaster 224... sad to say, but I'm almost excited for 2+ feet of ice to get here.

Offline Davey why

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2014, 02:51 PM »
I am trying to locate a complete recoil starter assy.for a T1A - 305- Tanaka   with 3 mounting bolts  to hold it down
it blew up on me last winter (it is obsolete in canada ) hoping i could locate one in  Saskatchewan   
motor and gears are  still ok  they are a tough little engine.
 thankyou 
regards Dave

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2014, 03:42 PM »
I am trying to locate a complete recoil starter assy.for a T1A - 305- Tanaka   with 3 mounting bolts  to hold it down
it blew up on me last winter (it is obsolete in canada ) hoping i could locate one in  Saskatchewan   
 thankyou 
regards Dave

Check Regina Rent-it-centre, they sell/repair Tanaka engines.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Davey why

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:45 AM »
I will try it thanks for the tip

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Ebay. Gas drill is the same. Handle can be had for 80 bucks. Bulb planting drill with dual handle is the one used for ice auger.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:30 PM »
 thankyou 
regards Dave

Dave it looks like most of the parts for our Tanaka's are obsolete.
Let me know if you find one, cause I'll get one as a spare.   ;D

Here is one supplier I use:  http://www.ereplacementparts.com/tanaka-tia305-oneman-power-auger-parts-c-34785_172165_172167.html

Offline Davey why

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:44 AM »
hey Drifter 016
I have had not much luck locating any parts  i thought maybe someone may have a tanaka gear case or engine that was wrecked
that could be parted out
The new assy. have a 4 bolt setup  looks close may try to modify it

Offline bds85466

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:52 AM »
So.....

I got an open box, blemish free Tanaka TED-270PFDH (the one they package with a Nils) on Amazon for $280 shipped.  Unbelievable deal to start.

Grabbed the adapter from Nils USA for like $38.  Meh, could have probably machined that locally for cheaper, but oh well.  Pulled the hand crank off my 8" and installed it to the Tanaka.  Easy peasy.

Took the thing up to Mille Lacs this last weekend to letter rip.  Amazing load-test because it was negative teens for temps (wind chills well below -30F)  Based on how far my 8" auger went in, I'd estimate about 35" of ice, not kidding.

After it was sitting in the bed of a truck (-15F) for a couple days I started the Tanaka on maybe 10 pulls (7 with the choke closed and then 2-3 with the choke open).  Started and ran like a dream.

Drilling was like butter, like 15 seconds a hole.

Couldn't be more impressed or happy with the purchase.  Nils + Tanaka is a force to be reckoned with.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2015, 02:36 PM »
I have a complete powerhead, TIA 305 for parts.  I have a running unit for my own use.  The unit for sale was lent to a friend who fueled it with gasoline that was not mixed, and needless to say, it crapped.  E-mail me if you are interested, and we can make a deal!!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2015, 03:08 PM »
I neglected to mention that I have two auger extensions, 12" & I think 18", both machined to fit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.