Author Topic: a game changer is coming  (Read 4571 times)

Offline AZbassernCO

• Team IceShanty Regular
a game changer is coming
« on: Dec 23, 2017, 12:11 AM »

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: a game changer is coming
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2017, 01:13 PM »
that is real cool.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:11 PM »
Neat addition to the Jawjacker for sure. @)
Thanks for letting us know about it AZbassernCO.  :)

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline klem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:01 AM »
save your money........ i can guarantee  for those who live in colder climates this thing wont last long. and the time involved setting it up and looking after it. and dont forget about cold temps and battery life.  :cookoo:

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:23 PM »
battery life is a concern, but there are tricks you can do to reduce issues there. personally, i only have one jawjacker, and i use it alongside me in the shelter as a dead rod, so this would actually be right up my alley. i might not use an auto-jigging mechanism outside, and we all know how brittle plastic tends to get in sub-freezing temperatures, but compared to other auto-jiggers on the market, this not only looks easy to use and transport, but i know it'll be MUCH cheaper than many o the auto-jiggers on the market right now.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:46 PM »
I saw the Jawjacker with the electric base in action a couple weeks back. Being an ice junkie and always interested in the latest and greatest inventions I had to get at least one.

This is my own personal opinion of the gadget so YMMV.

$45 for the basic JawJacker base and another $99 for the electronic gizmo that attaches to it. I do like the concept and it does appear to be well made with a few basic faults.

The first thing I noticed is it is not at all waterproof. The on/off micro switch is as cheap as money can buy, tiny and totally unprotected from water intrusion. The battery cover lid is also not at all waterproof so be very careful when you fish in foul weather.

With the option of 3 wheels there is a good selection of actions you want you jig to show the fish. Being made of all plastic I suggest you be very careful when making adjustments in bitter cold conditions.

The rod tip attachment process is rather lame but rather easy to fabricate a better mouse trap for the rod tip. The trigger mechanism is adjustable and seems to work quite well.

Now for the fishing and I should mention I hate sitting in or outside jigging my rod to entice fish to bite. Basically I usually just drop my jig down and let it hang there with a tug every so often. The motor does the work now and it does work quite well and the fish do notice it and I am getting more fish activity than from my dead stick jigs and tip ups. In the instructions they tell you to keep the ice hole clean and free of freeze ups and they ain't lying. Once you line freezes in the hole it will either trip the trigger or become a dead stick of no real value over just the basic Jawjacker without the expensive motor. I will only use mine inside the heated shanty where the holes either don't freeze or are close enough to keep clean.

On a scale from 1-10 I will give it a solid 7 but with better weather proofing it could hit the 8.5-9 mark. There is no way I would buy a complete set of these expensive traps for fishing in all weather. Snowing, blowing and bitter cold will quickly render them useless except inside your heated shanty unless you keep a constant vigil on each hole to keep it ice free. I do not see any warranty at all on the jacker base or the electronic base so when something goes wrong or gets waterlogged you are probably on your own to repair or replace it. Battery life is an issue with all of the electronic stuff we use but so far has not been an issue with mine. After a long cold day on the ice I would not want the task of pulling out and disassembling 5 or 7 of these for storing in their bags and traveling home. I also would not recommend just tossing them in your sled for the end of day ride to home so you can clean them up later. Tip ups can be pulled and wrapped up for travel in a couple minutes where these will take at least 10 minutes each if you fold, disassemble and store them in their bags as directed. If done right you probably will catch more fish and even better if you are a lazy jigger like me. 
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2021, 01:09 PM »
Do people even want to actually fish anymore?

looks cool either way

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.