Author Topic: Snow Dog Track Sled  (Read 112527 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snow Dog Track Sled
« Reply #360 on: Dec 07, 2020, 03:00 PM »
I just looked through the owners and maintenance manual that has a section about adjusting and lubricating the chain but not a word about the size of the chain itself or the sprocket teeth counts.
I can't read any numbers on the chain and I will not guaranty this but it sure does look to be about a 428 standard Motorcycle chain. I would call the dealer where the machine was purchased to get the exact answer. If you can't contact your dealer then try mine, Cutting Edge Equipment, 845-306-7597, the parts/service department should have that info handy.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #361 on: Dec 07, 2020, 11:27 PM »
Does anyone out there know what  size links  the sprocket drive chain on the Snow dogs are ?
You might could ask your question on the facebook page It's called: Track Sled Builds of the North.
Them guys are really helpful on the builds. Good Luck.

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #362 on: Dec 14, 2020, 04:06 PM »
on my 2017 standard 13hp with no rev. the gears were 11 tooth on top and at the bottom was 32 teeth. I converted this machine with the reverse kit conversion which changed the gears to 11 top and 29 bottom.  also the chain on mine was  a #520 . the #50, #530 chain fit but the links where to wide for the 1/4 thick spockets. the 520 fit more like the factory chain.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #363 on: Dec 23, 2020, 07:18 PM »
Well, I went and did it,...and finally added the reverse kit to my Snowdog 13 Hp compact. Got an offer that I couldn't refuse, so what heck, my arm got twisted ( a little)  .Installation was easy, except the time I had to manually  lift the motor onto the new base plate. Also the stock chain was way to long.  ( a 60 link)And the one they supplied with the kit was to short (58 link).My dealer was called , appropriate length chain was sent out, that was still to long by one link.Cut two links off and added a master link ,presto a 59 link. which fit perfectly. By the way Chain is a 520. Ten feet of 520 chain and master link were ordered off of Ebay, and a required 59 link was made up, just for a spare No instructions were supplied with kit, but are  available online.In case someone is looking to do the same, the  Part number of the kit is: 4498-9901-0000.

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #364 on: Dec 25, 2020, 08:52 AM »
when i installed my reverse kit it came with a new lower spocket 29 teeth and a newchain with a half link that was riveted. did your kit come with the new lower gear? my lower gear with out reverse was 32 teeth.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #365 on: Dec 26, 2020, 01:58 AM »
The sprocket that came with the kit was the same exact size as my stock sprocket was. I didn't count the teeth on either just layed them back to back to compare. The chain that they supplied me came out to be 58 links total, including  the installed half link.Had  my supplier send me out a 60 link that was cut back to 59.Also shifting from forward to reverse, and vice versa is a little finicky most of the time. I have to rock the machine back and fourth slightly to engage itself in either direction.A syncromesh transmission it sure isn't.The kit also came with a handle bar mounted choke option. That I had already previously installed last winter.

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #366 on: Dec 26, 2020, 08:09 AM »
 mine shifts fine i shut off engine and a little jiggle and shifts right away. I did change out the original oil that was in the gear box  with 0w-40 full synthetic mobil 1 oil. I changed mine twice to get there 5w-30 oil out of the gearbox. on refill it only holds 80cc or 2.7oz.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #367 on: Dec 26, 2020, 01:59 PM »
mine shifts fine i shut off engine and a little jiggle and shifts right away. I did change out the original oil that was in the gear box  with 0w-40 full synthetic mobil 1 oil. I changed mine twice to get there 5w-30 oil out of the gearbox. on refill it only holds 80cc or 2.7oz.
Isn't 0w-40 a little light for a gearbox?

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #368 on: Dec 26, 2020, 02:44 PM »
the bulletin I seen from snowdog said that snowdog puts 5w30 in all there gearbox kits . my snowdog dealer [wisconsin] told me that they put in 0w40 in the gearboxes.  I have not had there gearbox apart but I think in forward it has a double roller chain and in reverse its runs through a counter spur gear . since I only use mine in winter and through recommendation from dealer I purchased the reverse kit from I just installed 0w-40. now if I used mine in summer also I would change oil out in warm weather and go up in the oil weight .

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #369 on: Dec 26, 2020, 03:27 PM »
Oil is for lubrication and the enemy for oil is heat. Synthetic is better for longer life when high temps occur while thinner oil is much better in severe cold conditions such as when we use our dogs. Probably 95% of the issues we have with oil viscosity comes at initial dead cold start up. Thinner is way better for initial start up in severe cold temps and in most cases when we do run our machines they likely never get real hot enough to warrant the use of heavier oils. Shifting from forward to reverse and back will be much easier with light synthetic and the one exception might be if you use your SNOW dog when we don't have any snow and the warm weather is here.

Offline Avenditto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #370 on: Feb 21, 2021, 03:12 PM »
I built two of them last year.  They are the cat's ##s for ice fishing.  My second has a 19 inch track with a Chonda 15hp electric start.

Hey can I get more info from you on your builds? I'm looking to build one

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #371 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:35 AM »
Hey can I get more info from you on your builds? I'm looking to build one
on facebook it is called track sleds of north ;D your welcome  ;D

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #372 on: Nov 07, 2021, 01:44 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline John_Galt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #373 on: Feb 07, 2022, 07:02 PM »
Can anyone think of any potential issues driving from a sled that is much wider than the Snowdog? The Otter Pro Large is just under twice as wide at 44". Can you think of any possible issues/benfits from driving from a wide sled? Most probably from a seated position (don't have Snowdog, as of yet).  Thanks in advance for advice.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #374 on: Feb 08, 2022, 03:26 AM »
I guess I don't know what you are asking. I have had my Dog for 3 seasons now and I drag the largest Otter Pro Resort behind it. At the same time I also drag the sled I stand in and a 2 man Clam Guide shanty and  another equipment sled all tied together like a train locomotive. On a lake I have absolutely no problem with tow capacity and I venture to guess my turn radius is pretty close to what a sled will have. Can I run as fast, NO. The SnowDog is merely a towing mule capable of pulling a very heavy load but it is not a fun machine for playing on the ice or in the trails leading to the ice. The width of the dog has nothing to do with what it was designed to get done or how wide the gear behind it is. There are 2 basic issues with the dog that you should be mindful of when comparing it to a sled. Glare ice can be problematic if your track is not studded with good ice screws and the load behind can wag the dog. Slush is an issue with both sleds and dogs so avoid the deep stuff or be prepared to work. I have dragged through 8-10" of powder snow with no issues at all but if I get in 8-10" of wet heavy snow it does start to bog down more that a sled would because it does not have a front end with skis forward of the track to help it float above heavy and deep snow. I just go slower with all the pulling power I could ask for and I get to where I want to fish. Yes, it can be used off season to drag out game or firewood over bare ground but it is a workout I tend to avoid. Sleds need plenty of room to turn around also and the dog could navigate through much tighter spots between trees but it is tough and the dog is tippy. Both have their purpose by design but the dog is a tool and not a play toy. Who is John Galt ;D

Offline John_Galt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #375 on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:12 AM »
Thanks for response, Gamalot. Yep, I'm sold on Snowdog. Initial cost and storage space makes Snowdog a way more reasonable and attainable option.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #376 on: Mar 10, 2022, 11:14 AM »
Too bad they're made in Russia.   >:(

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #377 on: Mar 10, 2022, 01:47 PM »
Too bad they're made in Russia.   >:(

Good point except that just about everything we buy these days have some sort of Communist influence and there is no getting around that. I don't know where the B&S engine is made but I suspect China or some other unfriendly Asian country just like my JD Gator and all of my TVs and kitchen appliances. If we need a machine made in America these days we might want to just buy a 4 legged Mule.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #378 on: Mar 10, 2022, 09:33 PM »
I get it, running my old Fadal now making parts. We need to get back to the basics at times. Just saying.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #379 on: Mar 11, 2022, 06:29 AM »
I get it, running my old Fadal now making parts. We need to get back to the basics at times. Just saying.

YUP! I don't know much about Fadal other than it started as an American company. Even at that I would bet if you dig deep inside of your Fadal you will find that Communist influence on many of the parts.
Just sitting here at my desk and laptop if I look around me just about everything I see has a Made In China label on it. Kind of scary if you ask me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.