The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 08' MINNESOTA GET TOGETHER  (Read 52791 times)

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 08' MINNESOTA GET TOGETHER
« Reply #150 on: Jan 15, 2008, 01:52 PM »
I'll be wearing  ice armor and dragging a blue quad on behind a dark salty trail blazer  with ice team/strike master/vexilar stickers in the back windows
not to hard to miss..unless i trade quads from now till then..
Hard Ice

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Jan 15, 2008, 02:18 PM »
Skipper:

I'm throwing these questions at you since you put this expedition together.....

Do you have any specific plans / thoughts on "how the day will work"?

All stay in a given area - ie based on info from Appledorns? Everyone fish where they want?

I have been on the lake all of 2-3-4 times - I don't know it. Am looking at the DNR S half map
now, and there is a whole lot of space between the spots Paul W. talked about having roads - ie
Doe Island vs Hennipen Island vs 2mile reef - much less anywhere else.

Not having alot of experience on that water, its the last place I want to get lost on - espec.
if it gets dark or was to get foggie.

Any plans for grilling, etc? Anyone bringing food to share?

Paul W:

What do your road passes cost?

Thanks

UG

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #152 on: Jan 15, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Skipper:

I'm throwing these questions at you since you put this expedition together.....

Do you have any specific plans / thoughts on "how the day will work"?

All stay in a given area - ie based on info from Appledorns? Everyone fish where they want?

I have been on the lake all of 2-3-4 times - I don't know it. Am looking at the DNR S half map
now, and there is a whole lot of space between the spots Paul W. talked about having roads - ie
Doe Island vs Hennipen Island vs 2mile reef - much less anywhere else.

Not having alot of experience on that water, its the last place I want to get lost on - espec.
if it gets dark or was to get foggie.

Any plans for grilling, etc? Anyone bringing food to share?

Paul W:

What do your road passes cost?

Thanks

UG

1) No, I have no plan whatsoever :-\ Drill holes and catch fish I hope. I am not much of a party planner! :D I just thought we could meet and put some real names and faces to these screen names. This is our first time, next year will be a better show!

2) I think we can base our day on Paul's recommendations of where to fish. If we all want to split up and do our own thing after we meet, its a free country! Anyone who wants to stick by me is free to do. If the group wants to move, I will surely move with it. I am in charge of nothing, I am little more than a helper/janitor here on IS.com ;D

3)Stick to the roads and you will be fine! No worries! I'm sure you can jump in with someone too, at least you wont be lost alone! Unless there is a severe ice fog, there is nothing to worry about. Even if we get fog, my GPS will bring us back the way we came.

4) Does anyone want to grill? I'm fine with a pail lunch, but I may be able to donate a few steaks to cook if the fishing is slow. If someone has a portable grill to bring with it would help. I will donate propane to our cause too.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #153 on: Jan 15, 2008, 05:24 PM »
One more thing.....

How hardcore are you guys? It is gonna be -10F for a high on Saturday with 10mph wind. :-\ It will be around -17F when we hit the lake. We can always hope that the weather man is wrong.....

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #154 on: Jan 15, 2008, 09:07 PM »
I was on the dead sea about 4 years ago when it was 35 below it was no picnic  dress warm if you are coming..

also thinking i may eat at the resort give them a little buss. being they are going to give us a 1/2 price road fee..
Hard Ice

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #155 on: Jan 15, 2008, 09:13 PM »
I am still planning on going.  My old man might wuss out though.  He isn't as thick skinned as he once was.

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:05 AM »
One more thing.....

How hardcore are you guys? It is gonna be -10F for a high on Saturday with 10mph wind. :-\ It will be around -17F when we hit the lake. We can always hope that the weather man is wrong.....

That could be an issue....

Here is the Weather Underground forecast for Isle (56342) for Fri / Sat / Sun.

Friday
Cloudy. Snow likely in the morning...then a chance of snow in the afternoon. Areas of blowing and drifting snow in the afternoon. Little or no snow accumulation. Highs zero to 5 above zero. North winds 5 to 10 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Chance of snow 60 percent.

Friday Night
Colder. Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow. Lows around 20 below.

Saturday
Partly cloudy in the morning then becoming mostly sunny. Highs around 5 below.

Saturday Night and Sunday
Mostly clear. Lows 15 below to 20 below zero. Highs zero to 5 above zero.

Bet the fish are going to have a bad case of lock-jaw...

UG

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #157 on: Jan 16, 2008, 04:00 PM »

Bet the fish are going to have a bad case of lock-jaw...

UG

yes sir, I think you have a point. :-\

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #158 on: Jan 16, 2008, 07:28 PM »
Are we still going with this or we going to post pone it ?
Hard Ice

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #159 on: Jan 16, 2008, 08:01 PM »
Are we still going with this or we going to post pone it ?

By my guesstimating, we are looking at a -35F wind chill sat morning. I don't know about you guys, but that is pushing my limits of comfort. I was hoping for mid 20s so we could grill, drink, and BS out on the ice. It will be pretty hard to do that if we are huddled in portables by the pair. This is crud.... at least we have ice!

My vote is Postpone NOT cancel!!!! We had this coming you know, Jan in MN is like this.

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Jan 16, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Well, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade (or blow serious windchill on it), but weather.com is currently showing a high of -1!   I don't even want to hear what the windchill is going to be.  This is definitely a social event for me, and I don't own a fancy Ice Armor suit.  I'd freeze my butt.  The forecast could still change by Saturday, but I'm not sure by how much. 

Being cold and having fish with a case of lockjaw doesn't sound like the fun time I was looking forward to.  So, I guess if we are voting for a postponement, I hate to say it but I'll add a vote. 
Timmer
Most of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #161 on: Jan 16, 2008, 10:55 PM »
that's better than accuweathers -6 for a high.  This past weekend would have been perfect.  I will go if we have it, but my vote goes for rescheduling it as well.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #162 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:13 PM »
crude you got that rite !!

My vote is Postpone  it to a later date ..
Hard Ice

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:52 AM »
Latest from Weather Underground ......

Friday
Cloudy. Snow likely in the morning...then a chance of snow in the afternoon. Areas of blowing and drifting snow in the morning...then patchy blowing and drifting snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Highs zero to 5 above zero. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 60 percent. Wind chill readings 18 below to 28 below zero.

Friday Night
Colder. Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Areas of blowing and drifting snow in the evening. Lows 15 below to 20 below zero. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Wind chill readings 33 below to 43 below zero.

Saturday
Partly cloudy in the morning then clearing. Highs around 5 below. Northwest winds 5 to 15 mph. Lowest wind chill readings 33 below to 43 below zero in the morning.

http://www.weatherunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=isle+mn

-------------------------------------------------
With the new snow and wind, there could be white outs, not to mention that these kind of wind chills are dangerous - any kind of wet event or mechanical failure could be life threatening. It's not worth it. I also vote to post-pone.

UG

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #164 on: Jan 17, 2008, 07:57 AM »
Brrrrrrrrrr !!
Hard Ice

yarndt52

« Reply #165 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:42 AM »
my vote would also go to postpone.. those types of temps and windchill arent much fun to be out in.. did that one time on mille lacs for a fishing derby and it plain out sucked!! i would much rather be able to be on the ice BS and getting to know everyone.

Offline HawkEyeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #166 on: Jan 17, 2008, 12:29 PM »
I'm soooooo not coming this weekend. This is the type of weather that makes me hope the fish DON'T bite..just to keep my hands dry.

I vote we push it back into February but if you guys still wanna meet up, don't postpone on my account. :)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #167 on: Jan 17, 2008, 04:14 PM »
I guess we have an agreement. :'( Bummer as it may be, -45 below windchill is down right dangerous. 20mph winds will be blowing snow in our faces like a sand blaster! I am glad to see everyone has the same idea. We can let those Iowegians prove how tough they are!

How would you guys feel about eliminating most of the chances of this happening again? We could push it out into March and chase those football sized perch! Once the season closes, that lake becomes a ghost town. A couple weeks after things quiet down, the perch bite can really get going. Average temps are in the 30s or even 40s in mid march and we will have 3 feet of top quality ice beneath us. Some of the best fishing I have had on that lake has been in early spring. Sometimes I even leave my shack home. My best of all time perch trip was in mid April, but the ice is pretty scary by then.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #168 on: Jan 17, 2008, 04:17 PM »
Postponed till further notice due to extreme cold :'(

Offline tstegora

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:00 PM »
:( I was going to post that I can't make it because the bolts broke for the steering box on my jeep so I will be in the shop all week end fixing that and doing the crap I've been putting off for a while.
let me know when we are back on.
I am really looking forward to meeting everyone.
I just love to fish HARD WATER!!!

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #170 on: Jan 17, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Postponed till further notice due to extreme cold :'(
You wimps ;)

Offline HawkEyeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:02 PM »
You wimps ;)

Pffffffff, now you chime in ;)

I'd show up if this thing happened in March, no problem.

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Jan 18, 2008, 08:57 AM »

How would you guys feel about eliminating most of the chances of this happening again? We could push it out into March and chase those football sized perch! Once the season closes, that lake becomes a ghost town. A couple weeks after things quiet down, the perch bite can really get going. Average temps are in the 30s or even 40s in mid march and we will have 3 feet of top quality ice beneath us. Some of the best fishing I have had on that lake has been in early spring. Sometimes I even leave my shack home. My best of all time perch trip was in mid April, but the ice is pretty scary by then.

Thoughts on the March idea......I've never been on some real quality jumbo's - so that has got my attention.

March Weekends: 1/2, 8/9, 15/16, 22/23, 29/30

Easter (coming very early this year) is on the 23rd.

Also have #1 son getting hitched on the 8th - so that one is out for me.

All the others are do-able at this point. My pref. would be the 15/16, as
end of March the ice could be getting a little iffy - all depends on what
we get for spring....

UG

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #173 on: Jan 18, 2008, 09:36 AM »
The first weekend in March is the only one that would work for me, but don't let that have any influence on when you have it.  If I don't make it, you can have a drink for poor old Haywood, who is miserably on a 12 day fishing trip down on Lake of the Ozarks while you guys are having all of the fun  ;D

Offline HawkEyeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Jan 18, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Haywood, who is miserably on a 12 day fishing trip down on Lake of the Ozarks

Yah, I'd hate to be you right about now.... Forget that southern Missouri climate at this time of year. ;)

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Jan 18, 2008, 07:23 PM »
Last time I was there, we got stuck in a dry county.  A resort should have to disclose that info to you when you are setting up your resevations. 

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #176 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:12 AM »
Last time I was there, we got stuck in a dry county.  A resort should have to disclose that info to you when you are setting up your resevations. 
Can you catch fish, with out Beer???
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #177 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Can you catch fish, with out Beer???

That is a good question! I have never tried. Does anyone want to test this, or should we just say that fish wont bite without beer. ;D

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #178 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:51 AM »
That would be like Scuba diving with out oxygen, why would you even try it? 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #179 on: Jan 26, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Dont let the dream die!!! ;D When are we gonna do This!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.