The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2016 Ice Predictions  (Read 2043 times)

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
2016 Ice Predictions
« on: Oct 21, 2016, 12:11 PM »
When does everyone think we will have ice this year?  Other than the awful wait we had last year I was out by Thanksgiving the 3 prior years.  I think I'll be out again Thanksgiving here in the north metro.

servocam

Re: 2016 Ice Predictions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2016, 12:28 PM »
I'm hoping for first weekend in December this year. Last year first day was Dec 31 and only 4" at best on the pond.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2016, 02:25 PM »
I snuck out Dec. 28 last year on a shallow back bay of a lake in Burnsville, 4 inches of clear ice, one other guy out testing the ice but both of us only stayed long enough to catch one or two dinky perch and left..  What was interesting was as we were fishing a lake resident walks out and took there dog for a walk across the bay towards the main lake, no hesitation or anything about ice thickness or safety.  ???  I was happy staying close to shore with the bad weather we had.

Hoping we got out earlier this year, safe ice on Thanksgiving would be awesome.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2016, 02:38 PM »
4" clear ice is more than enough for me!!

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2016, 03:08 PM »
4" clear ice is more than enough for me!!

With all the warming and cooling we had going on I didn't expect to find 4" and only planned for checking ice quick and had other stuff going on so couldn't stay long.  4" of ice and a spud bar is fine with me, I personally would be very hesitant without one especially with the warming and cooling we had and not knowing if the ice is constant.  But maybe the resident had already check the ice and felt comfortable.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2016, 04:55 PM »
With all the warming and cooling we had going on I didn't expect to find 4" and only planned for checking ice quick and had other stuff going on so couldn't stay long.  4" of ice and a spud bar is fine with me, I personally would be very hesitant without one especially with the warming and cooling we had and not knowing if the ice is constant.  But maybe the resident had already check the ice and felt comfortable.
.            Or seen u out there and just figured was safe!!

servocam

« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2016, 06:30 PM »
Our job to spread the word abut ice safety. While I was on 4", 100  feet away it was 2" and water on the surface.

Offline jd2321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2016, 09:00 PM »
Coming from new york for a trip ....any suggestions? Lake of the woods....zipple bay???? Any direction will be be appreciated...Thank you

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2016, 04:50 PM »
We'll need some more info JD.  Coming from NY, will you have ATV/Snowmachines/Portables or are you looking for more of a set up where you drive right up to a pre-heated fish shack with the holes drilled and pizza delivery available?  There are a million options here, just need to know what you are looking for. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2016, 02:27 AM »
Based on Farmers Almanac it looked like it was going to be good ice making weather this year.  I checked the long term forecast and it didn't give me much confidence.  Sure hope the farmers are right.  God knows the weathermen never are. 

Offline Icetothebone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2016, 05:16 AM »
After getting a sun tan out deer hunting last weekend up North, it may be awhile boys!!  Has the Canadian bird migration even started?

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2016, 05:56 AM »
Starting to look like the second or third week of December will probably be it.  Sooner up north obviously.

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2016, 11:44 AM »
Skim ice on the edges of White Bear this morning. Hopefully these colder temps stick around the rest of the week.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2016, 09:30 PM »
My early season pond is skimmed over 1/2". Optimistically hopeing to get out thanksgiving weekend again this year.

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2016, 10:43 PM »
You guys up there might get lucky. Here in the metro I'm hoping it'll be early December. More realistically the second week.

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2016, 11:00 AM »
Walkable ice by Christmas. SAFE walkable ice by New Years and who knows if we'll get driveable ice
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Right now I have more ice on my deck then on my lake here in West central MN :-\
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Same here in the cities. Ponds were starting to lock up over the weekend. Glad we are getting this snow without ice in the lakes though. We really need some colder night temps. The high/low differential isn't helping us much right now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.