The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ?'s about upper red  (Read 3568 times)

Offline lacquiparlelegend

• IceShanty Rookie
?'s about upper red
« on: Dec 14, 2015, 11:41 PM »
Planning a trip over New Years and by the looks of it I will have to pull the hard house with the atv. Just got some questions as I've never been to red, what's the best access to use? (Rogers seems like best bet) And How far out do people usually go since I might be using atv?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ?'s about upper red
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2015, 03:53 AM »
Everyone has their favorite spots to go out of, and in all fairness any of the main players go above and beyond.

Rogers, Portavilla, Hillmans, West Wind, Beacan, much depends what part of the lake you want to fish. Early ice all areas produce, and you don't to go more than a mile to find fish. Mother Nature has plenty of time to "stir the pot" by the time you head up there.

Depending on the ice and how much snow gets dumped will dictate how far you have to travel, or if off road travel is even possible with ATV. I know a couple of pretty good guys that for a small fee will get a spot plowed for you if snow and slush becomes a problem.

Bring this up closer to New Years and I will have a better idea of what you can expect.

WS

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:49 AM »
Iv always used Rogers only because I don't have to drive as far across the ice to get to my spots.
Walleye action was on fire last year and it's looking like it will be again this year.  Normally I shoot for 1/4.-1/2 mile out but have gone farther. Oh and stay away from the crowds !

Happy hunting !
Hard Ice

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Planning a trip over New Years and by the looks of it I will have to pull the hard house with the atv. Just got some questions as I've never been to red, what's the best access to use? (Rogers seems like best bet) And How far out do people usually go since I might be using atv?

We will be up on Red over New Years day though Monday. Check with the resorts and they will usually put you on Fish. PM me if you have any questions . Be glad to help.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2015, 10:05 AM »
When fishing URL I have used 2 places.  JR's Corner access and Greater MN Rentals.  They both charge for the use of "their road" (going through their property to access the ice.  We always fish out of portables and stay in a cabin on shore. 

JR's has a nice cleaning station in back of the bar, and the best fish fry I have ever had anywhere!  I don't have any exposure to the other places.  JR's has always been good to us.

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2015, 03:30 PM »
I am also coming the 28th for the first time. I was wondering out of Rogers if u could just walk out or u have to have a wheeler.  I talk to the lady at Rogers yeasterday and she had said people were only going out 400-500 yards.  I have one I just didn't want to bring it if people were not going to far.  Last year we hauled it to devils lake and never took it of the trailer.   I also would like any recommendations on where to stay.  We have all our own gear. Feel free to pm thanks.       Mark

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2015, 05:55 PM »
We will be up on Red over New Years day though Monday. Check with the resorts and they will usually put you on Fish. PM me if you have any questions . Be glad to help.

I may take the ride (20hours plus) soon, would be my first time fishing there.  I don't feel like waiting for ice here in CT! 

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2015, 05:55 PM »
I've gone out of Hudec's & Rogers, any of the resorts up there will take care of you. As far as how far out you'll go, check with the resort. They are all about good service & putting people on/near the fish. ;)

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2015, 06:52 PM »
I've went through both Rogers and JR's, and personally prefer JR's. Nice guys, always take good care of us when we pull our wheelhouses up there. Good luck to you!

Go Beavers!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciate the heads up.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2015, 01:56 PM »
Also check out the postings by "Cookie" on www.invominnesota.com for reports and ice conditions.  He posts daily this time of year and was always a great resource for me when I use to fish there.  Also, check with a member here called "Dirtball2" he's probably hiding secrets he's not letting on.....;)   Good fishing!

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2015, 11:02 AM »
Also check out the postings by "Cookie" on www.invominnesota.com for reports and ice conditions.  He posts daily this time of year and was always a great resource for me when I use to fish there.  Also, check with a member here called "Dirtball2" he's probably hiding secrets he's not letting on.....;)   Good fishing!

The only secret I have CB is my favorite wife's deodorant! Which she could stand to use a little more often! :woot: I second your motion about "Cookie!" He writes the best and most informative and most interesting posts than anyone else on that website!  :icefish: DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2015, 11:29 AM »
Oh my, you are living on the edge talkin bout the lady folk.  That's why mine wears nothing of a kind. :afro:

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2015, 07:43 AM »
I am also coming the 28th for the first time. I was wondering out of Rogers if u could just walk out or u have to have a wheeler.  I talk to the lady at Rogers yeasterday and she had said people were only going out 400-500 yards.  I have one I just didn't want to bring it if people were not going to far.  Last year we hauled it to devils lake and never took it of the trailer.   I also would like any recommendations on where to stay.  We have all our own gear. Feel free to pm thanks.       Mark

You can't go wrong with Waskish Minnow Station, Cookie, or the West Wind Resort! They are all first class operations that will bend over backwards to put you on fish! Good luck! :icefish: DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline MisterIzzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ruining Everybody's Good Time
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Looking for a little help, guys/gals.

Hoping to make the run up from Indiana over the New Years break (30th-3rd).

There are 3 of us and we're looking to keep costs to a minimum. Have any recommendations for motels/hotels in the area?  Royal Shooks is all booked up and everything else looks to be an hour+ from the water.

We'd love to stay at a resort or on the water, but I can't find anything at $100 or less/night.

Would really appreciate some local help.

Thanks!
Check out the Great Lakes Goofers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knttuPRpZbk

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2015, 11:31 AM »
MisterIzzo, top of the morning to ya.  Again, Cookie  does have a few places to bunk and certainly nothing fancy but a place to rest and kick your feet up.  I remember staying in a trailer he had and the only down fall was you had to use the outside privy.  Two holer so movin on up! ;D

Offline ECWalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2015, 09:15 AM »
MisterIzzo, there really isn't much around up there.  The lodging options are pretty much sleeper houses.  You could probably find a hotel in Bemidji but that is a bit of a drive.  I think there is a small hotel in Kelliher and an AmericanINN in Blackduck.  Still a little bit of a drive for both.  Maybe check if they have some of there large sleeper shacks still on shore.  I don't think they are moving the biggest ones out yet.  If they are on the dirt they will charge you $20-$30 per night. 

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2015, 02:07 PM »
Talke to Alpine fish houses.  They have all their houses out on the ice right now.  They are also opening car travel on the ice roads for Wednesday.   I will be out there Wed/Thurs night with family.

Offline blacktruck121212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Looking to come up from Nebraska on Tuesday. We don't have a snowmobile or a atv. Where is the best place to launch and be able to get on fish within walking distance? We will have a otter hut with us. I have been reading about Rogers is this the best place for us. Thanks for any info you can give.

Offline VORK23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:29 PM »
Blacktruck I like to go out of either hillmans or west wind resort they charge 10 bucks instead of the 15 Rogers charges for road access and less people out on there road. Also the bar At west wind is nicer with better food  along with the people that work there every time at Rogers they just want my money and want me out the door won't answer any questions.

Offline blacktruck121212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2016, 07:10 PM »
Thanks for the info I think we will try West Wind. We are only fishing one day and then off to Lake of The Woods for the rest of the week. So hopefully we can find some fish for a day of fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.