The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Question about Flaming G  (Read 2694 times)

Offline 40below

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Me & Chops
Question about Flaming G
« on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:37 PM »
Never fished FG before thinking about maybe this winter, just curious first of all if the ice fishing is good also lodging and minnow accommodation there. Any insite would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks :tipup:
Work can kiss my grits, i'm goin ice fishin!!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Question about Flaming G
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2019, 07:48 PM »
Flaming forge is a dream destination, that being said it takes some home work. When I go we always stay in Green River which is 30 to 40 minutes to get to fishing spots. I've check Manila, UT and may try and stay there in the future. Less food options. In Green River the hardware store has sucker meat and permits for the park. Next thing is make sure you watch the ice conditions it changes fast down there.

Make sure you pack for anything going wrong because it's in the middle of no where which is why it cool!

Good luck.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline 40below

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Me & Chops
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Thanks appleye!
Work can kiss my grits, i'm goin ice fishin!!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2019, 11:08 PM »
I lived in Rock Springs for 6 years and ice fished the Gorge quite a few times. I found both the lake trout and rainbow trout fishing to be very good. As I recall, live minnows are not allowed for bait. Sucker meat or pieces of dead minnows on jigs or spoons work well. Guys fishing for the big lakers often use large tube jigs. I usually fished in 40 fow to 90 fow for lake trout. If I was only targeting rainbows, I typically fished in water 20 feet and less. I had some good days on rainbows using just plastic tails on a small jig.  A lot of people also fish for ling/burbot but I never targeted them.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2019, 09:13 AM »
Yes the fishing is usually good, it just depends what you want to target. A lot of ice fisherman stay at the “little bear motel” as it’s about the last place headed to the lake. There’s also a Hampton inn. No love minnows but ace hardware sells bait but they’re not open super early or late. Our grocery store also sells bait and they’re open both early and late.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline crvrba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Planning on coming down to the Gorge for the first time over New Year's. Looking to target pup lakers (hopefully a big one, too) and burbot. Looking at camping on the ice for most of it. Gonna be on foot.

Any recommendations and where I ought to be given the changing ice conditions?

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Around the confluence is about the only safe, deep water ice for now. After this weekend it may lock up some other deeper water. People have been doing great on the pup Lakers already this year.
Trent Williams

Offline crvrba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2019, 01:33 PM »
Around the confluence is about the only safe, deep water ice for now. After this weekend it may lock up some other deeper water. People have been doing great on the pup Lakers already this year.

Thank you!

Is the confluence a good spot for burbot, too?

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Good of a spot as any!
Trent Williams

Offline Djfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2019, 04:25 PM »
I'm going there tomorrow.  I'll give an update.  If you go, look for an eight man blue hut.

Offline crvrba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2019, 07:40 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to making the trip!

Offline crvrba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2019, 02:39 PM »
So, the forecast for Rock Springs between New Year's Day through the weekend isn't looking terribly fun, at least from a wind perspective. Seeing 40+ mph gusts.

I haven't ever been to the Gorge before, and heard the wind can make things miserable. And travel along the I-80 corridor can be downright dangerous, too.

For y'all folks who are familiar with the area, will it be worth driving down 7 hours from Sheridan for a Gorge trip this holiday weekend?

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2019, 05:52 PM »
There is no where to hide from the wind wait for a better forecast! I've made the trek, "Hoping" went home cursing my decision.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Head down tomorrow. Hows the ice? Any places to stay away from? Wheeler/sled or don't push it? Plan on confluence and then bounce around a little. Staying in Green River Plan on being down all week. Going to be in clam popup 6 sider/command center and Eskimo. Do some late nights for burbot but have kids so will be based on how long they can stay.
No one left behind.     

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:43 PM »
 ;D Try Graphical Forecast. They have pretty reliable wind speed and direction forecasts. Was turned on to this site by Lingeater a couple of years ago and use it bunches summer and winter.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2020, 05:01 PM »
The only saving grace if you guys decide to come is the fact that the places with good ice are “steeper” country. You can huddle up in a cove or along a steep part of the bank....but it’ll be bad out there I’m sure.
Trent Williams

Offline crvrba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:17 PM »
The only saving grace if you guys decide to come is the fact that the places with good ice are “steeper” country. You can huddle up in a cove or along a steep part of the bank....but it’ll be bad out there I’m sure.

Decided to stay in Sheridan. Got chased off of Muddy Guard 1 this morning by the big wind blast up here. Looks like the interstate was shut down, too. Some other time I suppose.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:10 AM »
Well it’s been fun!! Lots of pups and a few burbot. Still can’t find the Kokanee. The wind sucked in rock springs and green river. Thinking that it’s going to suck on the ice!! Get to the lake sunny and good. We have been fishing from the 1st and have yet had to put up the hut. Lots of dink/pups. 20-24 inches. Hope the sun comes out and keep enjoying the bite.
No one left behind.     

Offline crvrba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2020, 01:50 PM »
Well it’s been fun!! Lots of pups and a few burbot. Still can’t find the Kokanee. The wind sucked in rock springs and green river. Thinking that it’s going to suck on the ice!! Get to the lake sunny and good. We have been fishing from the 1st and have yet had to put up the hut. Lots of dink/pups. 20-24 inches. Hope the sun comes out and keep enjoying the bite.

Well shoot. On the bright side, I wouldn't have been able to leave here until they'd closed I-80. Glad you're catching fish! And it goes to show that you can't call it from the couch.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:40 PM »

Enjoy that “W word” rarity!
Trent Williams

Offline crvrba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2020, 02:19 PM »
Looking like I'll finally make it over to the Gorge this weekend.

Where should I be buying my sucker meat?
Is the Confluence still the spot to catch pups and burbot? If not, where ought I consider?
Any kokanee recommendations?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.