Author Topic: Fried Fish  (Read 8525 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Fried Fish
« on: Nov 14, 2003, 04:44 PM »
This recipe is really basic but produces quality results!  This is really fish frying 101.  I have used this style of cooking on almost all species of fish.  

2 lbs. fish fillets (if your fillets are large, cut them into 2" hunks)
2 eggs
dash of milk
1 cup flour
2 cups coating (bread crumbs or other coating)
2 tbls or so of Old Bay seasoning, Jonnys seasoning, etc.*

1.  Start your deep fat fryer or skillet with at least 2" of oil.  I prefer Canola oil due to Cholesteral concerns, but Peanut, vegtable, or any similar oil is great!  Just stay away from Olive oil, which tends to be to heavy and accents "fishyness".  heat oil until hot, but not smoking.
2.  Rinse and pat dry fillets and set aside.  
3.  Place cup of flour in medium sized zip lock baggy
4.  Take two eggs and a "dash" of milk and beat until well mixed in a decent sized bowl.
5.  Place 2 cups of breading mix into another bag.  Now it's time to decide what you want to cover your fish with!  Here are some suggestions: smashed potatoe flakes, bread crumbs, corn meal w/4 tbls. of parmesan cheese, tempura crumbs, smashed ritz crackers, saltines, potatoe chips, or experiment with your favorite snack!  
6.  Take some Old Bay seasoning, season pepper, or similar fish seasoning and place in your breading bag.  DON"T ADD SEASONING IF YOU ARE USING A SALTY COATING FOR YOUR FISH LIKE POTATOE CHIPS!!!  You could get one salty snack if your not carefull!!
7.  Take your fillets and shake them in the bag of flour until coated
8.  Take fillets out of flour and dredge in egg bowl until fully coated.
9.  Take fillets from egg mix and place in bag of coating.  Shake until coated.
10.  Your fish "should" look pretty professional right now, if not go back to step 1 and see what you did wrong?
11.  Take fish and drop into grease, NOT TO MANY!  Fry until almost floating or nicley brown.  MONITOR CLOSELY!
12.  Take fish out of fryer, if you use a basket, shake the fish to get the excess grease off.  Place on paper towel, brown bags, or newspaper.  Crispier results will occur if you keep the fillets seperated while cooling on the paper.

*My personal choice for seasoning is either Old Bay or Jonnys seasoning salt with a good amount of seasoned pepper, (red pepper mixed with large black cracked pepper.)  Don't add salt to any manufatured seasonings without testing them first!

Enjoy! :-*  -Barleydog

TEAM ALASKA

grumpymoe

Re:Fried Fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2003, 04:23 PM »
sounds great barleydog-try subsituting egg and milk with just buttermilk-a little lower cholesteral without the egg

Jam_Jam

« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2003, 04:59 PM »
Yum Yum  I think light sour cream is another substitute for the egg coating with a bit more favor.  Now I'm huuuuunnngry!  

CTShiman7612

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2003, 11:22 AM »
Wow!!!

All of you guys are right on the money.  I had sunfish last night and did it very simply.  I took my fillets, washed them extensively, cut any bones out from the center of the fillet, dried them, dipped them in eggwash, rolled em in shore lunch original, deep fried them and the rest is history!

I love fishing!

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2003, 02:55 PM »
flag-up  i use shore lunch original alot--i have never used the egg wash except in other recipes i have--how long do you coat before frying and does it crisp up nice??? ??? ???

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2003, 02:59 PM »
barleydog--you must have a beer batter recipe you can share with us especially someone who's around halibut---getting hungry thinking about a place in steveston b.c. where they make the best anywhere ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2003, 03:42 PM »
come on barleydog--you must be fishing or on a diet-havent seen you in the food section for a few days------good beer batter recipe coming????????? >:( >:( >:(

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2003, 04:26 PM »
Barleydog, I always used Canola oil myself until a nurse I was dating sent me this. Please read, the stuff is poison.
 Just a reminder to all about canola oil... I am concerned by how often this oil is used by companies claiming to offer "health food". It is becoming downright difficult to find products without it, even in "health food stores". Despite how long this information about canola oil's dangers has been available, the use of it continues. Please share this information with your clients and friends, and if you feel the same way as I do , please write to the food companies using canola oil and ask them to stop. Many thanks, Gage
CANOLA OIL
PLEASE READ NOTICE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride the Wave of Health!
Beware of Canola Oil, Canola Oil is an Industrial Oil, Not Fit For Human Consumption.

> Y Before you read the following article, here is a summary of a few facts regarding Canola Oil:
> a.. It is genetically engineered rapeseed.
> a.. Canada paid the FDA the sum of $50 million to have rape seed registered and recognized as "safe". (Source: Young Again and others)
> a.. Rapeseed is a lubricating oil used by small industry. It has never been meant for human consumption.
> a.. It is derived from the mustard family and is considered a toxic and poisonous weed, which when processed, becomes rancid very quickly.
> a.. It has been shown to cause lung cancer (Wall Street Journal: 6/7/95)
> a.. It is very inexpensive to grow and harvest. Insects won't eat it.
> a.. Some typical and possible side effects include loss of vision, disruption of the central nervous system, respiratory illness, anemia, constipation, increased incidence of heart disease and cancer, low birth weights in infants and irritability.
> a.. Generally rapeseed has a cumulative effect, taking almost 10 years before symptoms begin to manifest. It has a tendency to inhibit proper metabolism of foods and prohibits normal enzyme function. Canola is a Trans Fatty Acid, which has shown to have a direct link to cancer. These Trans Fatty acids are labeled as hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. Avoid all of them!
> a.. According to John Thomas' book, Young Again, 12 years ago in England and Europe, rape seed was fed to cows, pigs and sheep who later went blind and began attacking people. There were no further attacks after the rape seed was eliminated from their diet.
> Source: David Dancu, N.D.
>
>
>By Jim Lynn, Essential Oils
> It's amazing to me...The more research I do, the more I see a relationship between the food we eat and fatal diseases. Canola oil is no exception. Readers of EOO are familiar with the meat industry practice of feeding rendered meat "by-products" to cattle and poultry (EOO #015), and the suspected relationship of Mad Cow Disease to CJD and Alzheimer's Disease (EOO #016). Now comes information that Canola Oil is the suspected causative agent for Scrapie, a viral disease transmitted to cattle who were fed rendered sheep infected with Scrapie. Both Scrapie and Mad Cow Disease destroy the brain's ability to function. They literally eat the brain away, causing blindness, loss of mind and erratic behavior.
>
> Canola oil's real name is "LEAR" oil (Low Erucic Acid Rape). It is more commonly known as "rape oil," a semi-drying oil that is used as a lubricant, fuel, soap and synthetic rubber base, and as an illuminant to give color pages in magazines their slick look. In short it is an industrial oil that does not belong in the human body. It is typically referred to in light industry as a penetrating oil. Canola oil is a GM or genetically modified product You have read about GM foods? If not, you need to go to our page about such products..
>
> In addition, a recent report from the EPA (1998) states that they have classified canola oil as a biopesticide which ..."has low chronic toxicities". Further, they say that no studies have been done regarding toxic effects on Humans. The fact that they state that it is a pesticide and that there have been no studies, plus the fact it is a GM food, says to us it is something to stay away from! It is like so many other things "they" say are good for us like fluoride, canola oil and fluoride both accumulate and build up in the Human systems.
>
> Back in the 1980's, rape oil was widely used in animal feeds in England and throughout Europe. It was banned in 1991. Since then, Scrapie in sheep has totally disappeared.
>
> While that's good for Europeans, it is bad for Americans because the problem is now ours. Rape seed oil (Canola oil) is widely used in thousands of processed foods...with the blessings of our own government.
>
> Canola oil was first developed in Canada. It's proponents claim that due to genetic engineering and irradiation, it is no longer rape oil, but "canola" (Canadian oil). They also claim it is completely safe, pointing to it's unsaturated structure and digestibility. Although, I could not verify it, it is claimed the Canadian government paid the FDA the sum of $50 million dollars to have canola oil placed on the GRAS list (Generally Recognized As Safe). However it was done, a new industry was created.
>
> The truth is however, that rape is the most toxic of all food oil plants. Not even insects will eat it. No wonder farmers like growing it. It turns out that rape is a member of the mustard family of plants, and is the source for the chemical agent, mustard gas, which causes blistering on skin and lungs when inhaled. Mustard Gas was banned after WWI for this very reason.
>
> Studies of canola oil done on rats indicate many problems. Rats developed fatty degeneration of heart, kidney, adrenals and thyroid gland. When the canola oil was withdrawn from their diet, the deposits dissolved, but scar tissue remained on the organs. Why were no studies done on humans before the FDA placed it on the GRAS list?
>
> Consumed in food, Canola oil depresses the immune system, causing it to "go to sleep." Canola oil is high in glycosides which cause health problems by blocking (inhibiting) enzyme function. Its effects are accumulative, taking years to show up. One possible effect of long term use is the destruction of the protective coating surrounding nerves called the mylin sheath. When this protective sheath is gone, our nerves short-circuit causing erratic, uncontrollable movements.
>
> To test the industrial penetrating strength of canola oil, soak a towel in both canola oil and regular vegetable oil. Pre-treat and wash the towel in your clothes washer and compare the area the two oils occupied...you will notice an oil stain remains on the area soaked in canola oil. It is so durable, it could take several washings to completely remove. Now if this is how canola oil penetrates the fabric of a towel, what damage can it do in your body?
>
> Because canola oil is so cheap, it is now widely used in the food industry. If you are curious, just read a few food labels the next time you are in the grocery store. A good example can be found with commercially prepared peanut butter. In order to give peanut butter it's spreadability, Jiffy, Peter Pan and Skippy brands remove ALL of the natural peanut oil and replace it with canola oil. Natural peanut butter should only have peanuts and salt listed in the ingredients.
>
> If you want to use natural peanut butter, it's available in most stores next to the canola peanut butter. Stir the contents to mix the oil and peanuts together then store in the refrigerator. The cold temperature will prevent the peanut oil from separating. Best of all, you will have eliminated at least one source of a potential food hazard.
>
> Food consumers have headaches enough, without worrying about a toxic plant oil being added to their food. The problem is you will find canola oil in bread, margarines, and all manner of processed foods including potato chips. But the consumer is king. Be informed and make it a practice to read the package ingredients label as to what is in the food. Avoid using canola as a cooking oil and salad oil. It is not a healthy oil. It'll work great for lubricating mechanical items.
>

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2003, 05:36 PM »
Sounds like the same propaganda put out about Nutrasweet in diet soda?  I had an Email sent to me 5 months ago scared me half to death about how nutrasweet would put me in a grave early.  I don't know what to believe anymore ???  I really like peanut oil, but most docs will tell you to stay clear of that too!  I will be damned if I eat my fish raw! :-[  
TEAM ALASKA

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2003, 07:27 AM »
Yep, you never know, I just thought I'd put it out there for you.
Peanut oil is my favorite, but I use more corn oil than anything. I never did like the taste of Canola oil anyways.
For chicken, nothing ever beat lard IMO, but Crisco shorting is a close second.
I want to pick up one of those small electic deep friers, something just for a meal myself.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2003, 03:24 PM »
I would suggest that anyone trying to clear up the myths about canola oil go to www.canola-council.org and click on"truths and myths about canola". I could spend some time here dispelling all the myths but this site will do it better than I ever could.If in doubt,check it out.

shortrod

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2003, 02:05 PM »
I was just looking in my pantry,I dont see any canola except like you say in the peanutbutter.I guess I will be thinking twice about that P&J sandwich.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:47 PM »
I used Canola oil a few years ago myself because I have a high colestesteiel count. It did work, not because of its content, but because it tasted so nasty I quit frying anything at all. I think food would taste better fried in motor oil. There are some who like it though, so its a matter of taste. My frier has peanut oil in it....

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:06 PM »
Here's spmething to read on canola:
http://www.snopes.com/toxins/canola.htm
Ken                                          

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2004, 01:51 PM »
In response to the comment on Nutri-Sweet, it can also cause blindness by deteriorating your optic nerve. My optomitrist can use that scope thing and look into your eye and tell you whether or not you consume nutri-sweet.

Melbs              :'(

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:28 PM »
I have always cooked my fish this way.  They taste great especially with walleyes.  

Offline Outdoors_Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:51 PM »
I know this is off subject but first of all : Barleydog;I'm a chef and your a man after my own heart !!! Great posts !!! Secondly: We're all gonna die someday of something. As long as you do your best to stay within your diet why not indulge along the way and experience life the way it was meant to be ? As long as one isn't taking life threathening risks (doctors orders) then I say live and let live !!! Eat up all and be merry.  ;D

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:12 PM »
Fish is best fried in lard, butter or bacon fat.  Do you want to shovel snow for the rest of your life? :)
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2004, 11:26 PM »
Thanks Outdoors nut!  Your right about dieing someday, perhaps I was prolonging the inevidable.  I use peanut oil, corn, and veggie oil quite often and may never touch canola again. :)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2004, 07:39 PM »
I grew up on canola oil, as have most western Canadians.  Maybe that is what has given us our ability to work effectively and withstand our winter temps.  Propaganda makes good reading and even better thesis material!!!  Kenelz, the reason you probably do not like the taste of canola oil is because what you were using was rancid. Canola oil on its own  is tasteless!!  I personally prefer my fish eggwashed, a flour & crushed cracker coating, seasoned with Mrs. Dash Regular & Spike, and fried in hemp oil. ;D ;D

maine-ly backward

Re: Fried Fish
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2004, 06:59 AM »
Je**s H Chr**st! CANOLA OIL, another thing to add to the list of things that're gonna kill you. If we added up the list to date, the only thing we'd be eatin is tofu (probably not spelled right). Then after a few years of eatin that sh** you could walk out the front door and get hit by a truck. Screw it, I'm gonna eat what I want and die when the good lord decides it's time.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:41 PM »
Too much tofu makes you walk backward and causes impotence!!!(at least my vegetarian buddy tells me that confidentially) ;D ;D

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #22 on: Apr 01, 2004, 04:49 AM »
 :o :o :o Kenelz you have just scared this big walleye big time. great tip I will definelty be revisiting what I eat.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2005, 04:56 PM »
I try to stay away form deep frying my fish. I find for high flavor (and cholesterol) just freeze you bacon grease from breakfast and throw a lump or 2 in the pan. This still gives you a great crisp coating and more flavor then any oil. Its also great for ease of travel, since the grease is frozen there can be no spills on the way to or from the ice. try it, but get a doctors note first.

what can I say, I'm a Canadian boy who loves his bacon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.