Author Topic: Canned Perch  (Read 5722 times)

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Canned Perch
« on: Feb 28, 2005, 04:55 PM »
Has any one ever tried canning yellow perch?  I like sardines and figured that maybe I could make my own out of some of the dink perch that I catch.  I tried searching for canned perch on the internet, but couldn’t find anything.  So being adventurous I tried it on my own. 

I canned them in Spicy V8 following the instructions for sardines.  They turned out quite well.  They have the texture of sardines without the fishy taste. 

Has anyone else tried canning them?
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
Re: Canned Perch
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2005, 05:31 PM »
Don't they get mushy? :sick:

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2005, 07:27 PM »
BlindSquirrel,

Did you can them whole, with the bones?  I've never seen a recipe for perch, but have seen them for bluegill.  My grandma used to make them using smelt (back when we still had smelt in Wisconsin), and that was excellent.  I love sardines too, but I really like the fishy taste.  Might have to give it a try anyway.  Could you post the recipe for me?

thanks,

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2005, 05:52 AM »
No they do not get mushy.

I can them whole, minus scales, guts, head, and tail.  They fit perfectly into a pint jar.  I use the General Fish Method in the manual that came with the cooker-canner.  Mine is brand name Presto, http://www.gopresto.com.  I would highly suggest reading the manual before attempting any canning and do not deviate from any procedure.

That being said; long story short, pack cans, boil in brine 20 mins., drain, add V8, can under 10lbs pressure 100mins.  In the spirit of the procedure I boil the V8 before I add it to the cans and add it hot.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.