Author Topic: Whats for dinner?....porqupine?  (Read 3032 times)

Offline BigBear68

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Whats for dinner?....porqupine?
« on: Jan 25, 2011, 04:24 AM »
Well i must say it wasnt on my must to do list but apparently it was for my brother. Shot a Porqupine, skinned it, quartered it. Braised it, through it in the crock, added water beef boullion cubes, cooked for 2-3 hours added some veggies and dinner was served. Said it tasted like sweet pot roast...

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
Re: Whats for dinner?....porqupine?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2011, 04:28 AM »
You're not stranded in a fishing camp deep in the NY woods with no heat are you? Hope ya got salt! ::)
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:31 AM »
not sure I can get past the skinning part. but my old man always said "everything taste good if ya cook it right"
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:21 AM »
Porqupine.... the other white meat.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:55 AM »
Well it must be good it comes with its own tooth picks built right in. No other animal has that!

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:01 PM »
I don't know if anyone could eat a porcupine unless they were starving.  I distinctly remember helping someone a skin a porky and it had the aroma of road kill.

Offline Ole Sam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:38 PM »
Dick Proenneke, the guy who lived alone in his cabin in Alaska & who you may have seen on PBS, would stew an occasional porqupine.  He thought it taught them a lesson not to chew on his cabin.
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:55 AM »
I hope he is now banned from any family potlucks!
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:49 PM »
you guys have the munchies?

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:20 PM »
porkies are a really good meat.  second only to a properly cleaned squirrel.   there's no quills on the underside - belly, legs, etc.    EZ to skin.  the smaller ones are the most tender.    porqupine killed in the fall are the best eating.  they've eaten apples, corn, hay, etc all summer long.    they don't taste like a cedar swamp or pine tree in late september or october.
skin, wash and remove as much of the fat as you can.   chilling the pieces will harden the fat a bit. makes it easier to remove.
grill over hardwood or charcoal until about 1/2 done.   the remaining fat will cook off and drip away.   no need to season yet.   just grill the meat.
place the meat in a slow cooker or roaster.   layer with apple slices/chunks, celery, onions. sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning. add some cheap (box) red wine and let cook low and slow.
when almost ready to fall off the bone, remove the juice and use it to make gravey with any instant mix - pork, chicken, turkey or country gravey. add more wine or water for however many packages of gravey mix you are using.
this is a great way to do squirrel or muskrat too.    remember on a squirrel or muskrat to remove the glands around the tail and under the ''armpits''.
serve with noodles, rice or taters.        this is an annual feed at deer camp. everyone looks forward to it.

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Porky hogs and muskrats, dang I ain't never been that hungry! Oh well to each there own.
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline Jay K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2011, 02:44 PM »
Sounds like some decent meat.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2011, 10:11 PM »
Deer camp eats? Wouldn't ya think being at deer camp and all, you would be chomping on.....deer? Just saying.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:04 PM »
Well I was looking at old posts after reading this old thread and I had to comment.
My Fiancee was wanting a porcupine last year. She wanted some quills to do beadwork with.
We had seen a lot of road kill ones out and about but most looked pretty squished or looked to smell pretty bad.
Went small game hunting with a friend of mine. The area we planed to hunt had just been hunted by a guy with a dog.
We were bummed but decided to try our luck anyway. After walking about a mile in on this old trail and seeing no game we spied a couple of young porkys.
I ended up making them into Pulled porcupine sandwiches.
Boy were they tasty. The 10 year old liked it so much he had more for breakfast.
I wasn't sure I would like it but it was very tasty and I would do it again.
My fiancee ended up making several pairs of bead and quill earrings a beaded coin purse with quill accents and has lots to spare.
This might be hard to cook on the ice but you could reheat it over your buddy heater.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Porky hogs and muskrats, dang I ain't never been that hungry! Oh well to each there own.
Best avoid those festivals that have "Swamp Rabbit" on the menu at $45.00 per plate at the fancier dives.   :woot:
Wanta take a guess at what meat is on the plate? :whistle:

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Fancy name to make the squeemish try Muskrat...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Dick Proenneke, the guy who lived alone in his cabin in Alaska & who you may have seen on PBS, would stew an occasional porqupine.  He thought it taught them a lesson not to chew on his cabin.

Hey!!! That's a great book, isn't it? I heartily recommend it, if you don't have it.  It's one of my favorites..was fortunate enough to see the film, too.  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Fancy name to make the squeemish try Muskrat...
And a bit over priced, too. :woot: :roflmao:

Par boil twice before your favorite fry/roast, yum.    ;)2

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Hey!!! That's a great book, isn't it? I heartily recommend it, if you don't have it.  It's one of my favorites..was fortunate enough to see the film, too.  ;D
what book/movie is that? I can't imagine eating a porcupine...but I've been surprised by wild meat in the past.  Who knows, might be good?  They eat Carp in Europe and Asia  :sick:
Tight lines

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2011, 09:05 PM »
what book/movie is that?
One mans wilderness by dick Proenneke.
He built a wilderness cabin by hand in the 60's and lived there for many years by himself with only occasional flights of groceries and supplies.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.