Author Topic: Arctic Circle style fried laker/salmon  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Arctic Circle style fried laker/salmon
« on: Sep 24, 2004, 04:34 PM »
Here's a recipe that I made experimenting with lakers this past year.  We love hot wings, and thought it would be nice to incorperate some ingredients for hot wing style fish.  Finally, after lot's of swearing and a couple cold ones, we did it!  This recipe works great on salmon, char, lakers, etc... Don't be scared off by the ingredients!  The finished product is not overbearing or "spicy hot" at all.  The batter seems to mask the "fishiness" of salmon and lakers like no other batter that we have tried.  My wife, (who is extremely picky) even raved about this one! ;D  You will need:

1- 12 oz. bottle of FRANKS'S Red Hot original pepper sauce
1- 20 oz. box of KRUSTEAZ Bake & Fry Coating Mix
* Important note!  * Don't add any water or beer to batter!

Heat fryer up to 375.  Pat dry your fish.  This is important to insure batter adheres to fish.  Place at least a cup of coating mix into bowl.  Take your Red Hot sauce and pour sauce into bowl while whisking dry ingredient until you form a batter consistency.  Not runny or your batter will separate when it meets the oil.  Not dry or your fish won't properly coat.  DON'T ADD WATER OR BEER AT ANY TIME!!  I TRIED THIS AND IT DIDN'T IMPROVE THE FINISHED PRODUCT.  Fork dip your fish into batter and coat it liberally.  Slowly add coated fish to your fryer and fry until it floats.  If the fish browns to fast, reduce your heat.  Place finished product on a drip screen and place in warm place until ready to serve.
KRUSTEAZ coating mix may be hard to come by.  It's a wheat flour, corn flour, seasoned, and dehydrated egg mix that's prodominate to the Northwest.  You can try this with Shorelunch or other brand named flour coating mix that's low in salt.  Just remember that the Red Hot has salt in it's ingredient, so the addition of a salty coating mix will alter the final outcome. :P  Enjoy!  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
Re: Arctic Circle style fried laker/salmon
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2004, 06:19 PM »
BD, you might want to include box and bottle sizes.  Here in Western New York, where wings are king, I've seen some pretty darned big bottles of Frank's.........
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2004, 12:26 PM »
Chuckles, Done...  Guess you could make the batch as big as you want! or not? ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline chuckt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BEATS WORKIN'
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:17 AM »
Try using crushed pork rinds (either regular or hot). Pat dry fish, dredge in egg, roll in pork rinds and put in fryer. You cant tell the difference between salmon,lake trout or walleye. Takes all the strong taste of the fish out.  We do this at our fish fry and people scarf them up.

Offline sledneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2005, 05:52 AM »
So if you put wing sauce on fish wouldn't you call it fin sauce??

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2005, 02:18 PM »
Sounds interesting-I'm pulling salmon out tonight-perfect timing red hot salmon bites for the pm game sunday ;D

sledneck,  How's this one; Wing sauce on fish= WISH sauce :D

-Grizz

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:11 PM »
Grizz,  I might be late, but if you can't find Krusteaz, any beer batter dry mix works.  Since I posted this, my wife made it with 1/2 beer and 1/2 red hot.  It tastes good!  reduces some of the saltyness.  If you like the HEAT, try some tabasco mixed in.  Kills any nasty fishy salmon flavor.  REMEMBER DON"T ADD SALT!!!!!!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:06 AM »
I got that look from my wife when I told her we were having Hot Salmon Wings for supper :o, well......I guess i will cook up a batch for myself, maybe this weekend.  Thanks for the update on the recipe.

-Grizz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.