Author Topic: Anchor-down or Let-em Swim  (Read 3575 times)

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anchor-down or Let-em Swim
« on: Nov 25, 2006, 01:04 PM »
When tip-up fishing, what do you guys get more action on? A minnow, shiner whatever, anchored by using a jig or weight etc. which keeps them from swimming, or applying your spilt-shot or other weight above the hook say six inches or however large a circle you want them to make?  I know it depends on the aggression of the fish that day and also the species, but that said, what do you find yourself using the most, and why?

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Anchor-up or Let-em Swim
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2006, 01:06 PM »
On the Tip up I normally put a splitshot about 10" above...i havent fished with minnows/shiners from my rod yet...

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2006, 01:09 PM »
I put a split shot on at about the 2-3 feet mark on the leader and my leaders are about 4 feet long. I like my shiner to swim around as free and natural as possible.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2006, 01:24 PM »
splitshot three feet up.  let em swim around.

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2006, 01:38 PM »
splitshot three feet up.  let em swim around.

Ditto the above except if I'm fishing deep, say 25 fow or more, I'll shorten the leash to about 18". Reason being, I don't use a lot of weight to start with, and with that much line out, the minnow can get pretty far from the hole.
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2006, 04:04 PM »
3 feet up  ??? ??? ...How can you keep your bait in the strikezone when it's swiming all over the place..When fishing for pike with Golden shiners I will usually place the weight about 15'' inches up my main line..no more. Walleye 10''...
Andrew

Offline RUGERGUNZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2006, 04:22 PM »
Call me crazy but I have my own system and it seems to work well for me.

I run 35# Icefishing line to a stainless swivel and connect that to a 3 foot piece of spiderline 30#  and then use a very small gamaktsu colored hook direct tied to the spiderline.   I dont use any weight and usually put the swivel at the bottom edge of the ice but up a few inches.   This gives the minnow or smelt about 3 ft of play and keeps him from getting above the swivel.  He can swim however he wants and appears very natural.

Using this setup I have outfished everyone in my fishing party.  They stick with thier long leaders and weights however.

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2006, 06:16 PM »
3 feet up  ??? ??? ...How can you keep your bait in the strikezone when it's swiming all over the place..When fishing for pike with Golden shiners I will usually place the weight about 15'' inches up my main line..no more. Walleye 10''...

What do you mean by strike zone? I consider everywhere under the ice a strike zone. I used to use no weight at all, but it took 5 minutes of sitting there setting up the trap.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anchor-down or Let-em Swim
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2006, 04:25 AM »
My apologies to the first seven posters. I changed the subject title to anchor-down instead of anchor-up. According to what I'm reading there seems to be a clear difference of opinion on a basic way to do this. This is exactly what I want to determine by this subject. What is actually being used the most out there and which way is more successful, and why. I realize some are hesitant to share this expertise and fully understand that. Lets face it, some of this stuff is in the trade secrets dept. Anyway, if the activity level is low, maybe a short leash is more appealing than a large one. I do not own a camera, but folks on the ice with them have told me that sometimes the fish just will not chase, but will take a chub anchored there just finning for his life.  Thanks for the input.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2006, 05:45 AM »
What do you mean by strike zone? I consider everywhere under the ice a strike zone. I used to use no weight at all, but it took 5 minutes of sitting there setting up the trap.

I'm confused on this "strike zone" comment myself when using tip ups.  I want my bait moving around, not too much but I want it with some action.

I fish 4 feet off bottom for pike, or just above the weeds if the weeds are taller.

I clip on a split shot about 18 inches above my steel 12 inch leader, so the answer to your question would be I have a weight about 2 1/2 feet above my bait, giving the bait a 5 foot diameter swim area.  Makes for plenty enough action, but I wouldn't want it restricted any more than that.....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2006, 06:28 AM »
i use a split shot too on my 10' leader about 18"up from the hook kepps the bait swimming  just enough with out going all over the place if the bait is real big i will cut of part of the tail to keep it from going all over the place  :tipup:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2006, 06:56 AM »
I only use a maximum 18" leader and clip a very smallteardrop weight on the swivel where the swivel at the leader, this gives the minnow 18" of roaming circles, yetkeeps my line right where i set it.....directly under the hole. I put the minnow about 24" from the edge of a huge weedline one the drop off side....

(placement )I place 2-4 tip ups (if someones with me) right in a staggered line along the weed bed. I have never had a bait get into the weeds this way, but he can swim to just the edge of the weeds. I have had very good luck doing this. I fish this same line in the summer and have it on GPS so i can go right there...

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2006, 11:33 AM »
I use a small shot about 15" up on the leader
Natural swimming with 30" of freedom
Haven't tried using a jig to hold them in place is this effective ???
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:00 PM »
I dont use wieght, just a decent sized spoon, then have about 3-5 inch dropper on the end of the spoon, allows the minoow to struggle and add flsh without getting into trouble

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:02 PM »
I have used a jig w/ minnow under a tip-up.  Seems to work well for trout and bass.  I also place a small splitshot about 10 to 18" up on others, giving the minnow a bit of freedom to move around.  Both seem to work and I really can't say that one way works better than the other.  I figure the fish can decide on which one they prefer, .....I offer them both.  (In Pa we are permitted up to 5 devices, I normally use 4 tip-ups and one jigging rod).

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:02 PM »
I do the spitshot about a foot up. This allows the fish to swim freely, but when it becomes tired, it sinks to the depth I want it. It also allows the minnow to swim when a predator comes, but no so the predator wont grab it. It really is dangling a panicing fish right infront of the predators mouth.
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:05 PM »
I will frequently fish without wiehgts, and when I do I crimp a few splitshots a foot or two about the hook. I want my minnow to be siezuring, spazzing out and having a heart attack all at the same time down there and swim around as much as it wants.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.