Author Topic: Amount of line on spool  (Read 1692 times)

Offline serveprotect

• IceShanty Rookie
Amount of line on spool
« on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:27 PM »
Ordered some Mason coated tip up line.  It comes in 25 yard spools.  Is this sufficient for each tip up?  At most the fishing will 20ft. of water.  It sounds like most people put on 50 yard but it is not available in that amount. 

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Amount of line on spool
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:00 PM »
i would put on the whole 25 yards

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:25 PM »
Where I'm from 25yds wouldn't be enough, if you get a big fish and it goes on a big run He may spool ya.   but if your fishing small fish and shallow water than its more than enough.  I like at least 100yds on mine.   just in case

Offline war eagle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:51 PM »
I've got about 85-90 yards of #35 on most of mine.I fish mainly like you...under 20 f.o.w. and mostly small to medium sized fish(not from lack of trying for the big-uns )very rarely do I even come remotely close to getting spooled out. You should be good to go but remember you only got 75 feet of line :-\

Offline spotail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:51 PM »
The amount of line depends on the spool size. For the Frabill Classics I have the spool  is rated for 200', but I only get about 175' on them.  I like the spool nice and full so the line comes off smoothly with as little drag as possible.

Offline jpr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:58 AM »
You are gonna need more than 25 yds............

Offline Matt_Atkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:02 PM »
you could always  do a blood knot, or uni-uni more of the line

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:04 PM »
I'd want more than 25 yard too.

Offline oldsalt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2012, 06:59 PM »
It depends what your fishing for and where your fishing.  Deep, shallow, perch, walleye, lake trout?

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2012, 08:49 AM »
me 150 yards

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Even though I don't fish many "deep" lakes, I still fill my spools to the max.  Not so much worried about being spooled by pike, but it is much easier and smoother for a fish to take line with a full spool.  Tends to be less resistance.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2012, 03:35 AM »
I have been ice fishing since 1996 and I have a question that's kinda along this topic since I never ran into this situation before.  I was loading up the spool on a new tipup and came to the end of the braided line with the spool only being about 1/3 full.  I was wondering if I could tie on another section of braided line to finish filling the spool to about 3/4 full of if it would be better to just pull off what I have on and start fresh and end up with a single piece of braided line.  I never had been spooled and would use a good knot and lock it up with krazy glue to make sure it holds tight.  Also if you can, "splice" two pieces of braided line together would you tie them together directly or use a barrel swivel to connect them.  Normally I only catch bass, trout, or pikerel on my tip ups if that makes a difference. 

Offline spotail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2012, 04:00 PM »
I would just tie to the line with a double uni or blood knot and fill that spool up.  What type of tip up do you have?  I run to my flags and keep them fairly close to me, so I don't really worry about being spooled.  I usually fish with 1 or 2 other people and we look out for each other and often yell flag when another person's tipup is triggered. That being said, I can see how it is possible for someone to get spooled.  You only have to be unattentive to the tip-up with a nice fish on it for 5-10 minutes.  Better safe than sorry when it come to a trophy!

Offline serveprotect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2012, 04:09 PM »
Well, I threw on the 25 yards on my Frabil Thermal tip ups and it filled the spool about 3/4 or a little less.  Still not sure whether I should add more or not.  It does not make sense for them to sell it in 25 yards if that was not sufficient for most fishing applications.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2012, 04:42 PM »
I have the old style ones that are made of wood the fold up on themselves.  When folded up it looks like one long stick but it unfolds and makes a cross that keeps it from falling in the hole.  I'm sure you know the ones I mean I just don't know the specific name or even if there is one for them.  Here's a link to a picture of the style I mean.    http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=1318428

Offline Matt_Atkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2012, 10:48 PM »
Chris,
I second spottail, use a uniuni or a blood knot, tie it right ands its not breaking esp with tip up line. Uni to uni is how I tie all my open water leaders, well most, if in using a,3way for stripers or fluke I just tie to the swivel

Offline Mavis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:36 AM »
I would want more then 25 yds you never know how far they will run before you get to the tip-up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.