Author Topic: any anti freeze tips  (Read 2199 times)

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
any anti freeze tips
« on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:34 AM »
I was fishing in heavy freezing rain yesterday and my flags were freezing up so fast that i couldnt fish. I thought that maybe i could use a spary bottle with some anti freeze to sparay the flags and trip wire. Any suggestions?

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: any anti freeze tips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2012, 01:30 PM »
 :nono:

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2012, 01:34 PM »
buy Ht polar Tip ups. They dont freeze
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2012, 01:47 PM »

The guy i was fishing with had those and had the same issue the flag was icing to the trigger. We recieved almost 1/2 in of ice from freezing rain.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline pikemaster9

• IceShanty Rookie
  • o u didnt catch any fish WELL LOTTY FRICKEN DAH!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:07 PM »
i think the DEC will fine u a pretty penny for polluting the lake with antifreeze considering its TOXIC!!!

How hazardous is ordinary antifreeze?

Two ounces of ethylene glycol antifreeze can kill a dog, one teaspoon can be lethal to a cat, and two tablespoons can be hazardous to children.

http://www.seco.noaa.gov/ENV/Factsheets/antifreeze.html

maybe stay home when its freezing raining? :cookoo:

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:18 PM »
i think the DEC will fine u a pretty penny for polluting the lake with antifreeze considering its TOXIC!!!

How hazardous is ordinary antifreeze?

Two ounces of ethylene glycol antifreeze can kill a dog, one teaspoon can be lethal to a cat, and two tablespoons can be hazardous to children.

http://www.seco.noaa.gov/ENV/Factsheets/antifreeze.html
i was under the impression that toxic anti freeze was no longer used in NY. Is there are type of non toxic solution i could spray

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Then take a bunch of 5 gal buckets [empty] and put them over your tip-up. then listen for the flag when it smacks the side of the bucket!
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Then take a bunch of 5 gal buckets [empty] and put them over your tip-up. then listen for the flag when it smacks the side of the bucket!

Sounds good on paper. But when it's freezing rain it can be noisy. Especially when your sitting in a shack (I know I am when it's raining or snowing hard).. Then it's hard to hear anything...

The only real solution I think is you just gotta go bust the ice off them every so often. Same as busting my holes open when it's -20. Gonna do these things.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:12 PM »
I'd try spray cooking oil. Non-toxic, cheap & washable if it doesn't work.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:21 PM »
Def do not use anti freeze, Jesus kill the enviro while trying to enjoy it that makes sense.  Years ago we fishing around Paulsmiths on the Regis Chain in some freezing rain we made little covers out of some paneling and hinges. The were similar to putting 2 cards together to make a a-frame you can put them inline so you can see your tipup but it shields it from the rain.  Wind would be another factor you might be able to pack some snow against them to hold them in place.
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:28 PM »
I'd try spray cooking oil. Non-toxic, cheap & washable if it doesn't work.
Ditto on the Pam, it works !! I use it to keep Cusk traps from freezing in too !

Bullelk34

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:35 PM »
I've used chapstick and it worked. You also could try a piece of tinfoil "tented" over the trigger, twisted onto the flag wire.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:26 AM »
What about Rain-X (the windshield stuff?)  Candle wax?  Haven't tried either, just tossing out some ideas.
Prayin' for cold

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:30 AM »
what traps are you using, never seen a jack trap freeze, havent seen 40 ups freeze. have seen heritage freeze and it was mostly the spring coil that froze up, flag would still trip but the spring was frozen down. would assume the beaver dam would freeze the same as the heritage but being horizontal you would see it lift enough to know it was tripped. each trap has its quirks and thats a heritage quirk in heavey freezing rain

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:41 AM »
I've never had my heritages freeze up.  I was out yesterday in a heavy freezing rain and they never froze.
I think its more important to be checking your traps more frequently. 

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:18 AM »
what traps are you using, never seen a jack trap freeze, havent seen 40 ups freeze. have seen heritage freeze and it was mostly the spring coil that froze up, flag would still trip but the spring was frozen down. would assume the beaver dam would freeze the same as the heritage but being horizontal you would see it lift enough to know it was tripped. each trap has its quirks and thats a heritage quirk in heavey freezing rain

I have some old un named tipups i bought from a guy in maine. I was also using a couple of hardwater explorers. They seemed to resist the ice better but not much. Every ten minutes the tipups would be completely iced over. My sons 40 ups are shelved till i can get him a tipup thats worth a damn

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:12 PM »
[quote  author=IM-POUNDING- R -U link=topic=210926.msg2087646#msg2087646 date=1326483290]
[/quote]
IN MY opinion you hit the nail on the head,these polar tip ups are the best i have ever used,my son and several fishing buds
were fishing on union flow in northern N.Y. with wind chill i was about, -60` and the tip ups didnot freeze,we would take
the minnie out of the insulated pail and before we could put it on the hook it freeze and stop moving,but then the little
dude hit the water off he go,good thing i was young
 ;D  ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:27 PM »
Try some spray silicone. I have used it with great success.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:45 PM »

or put bells on the flag thats what I do works super

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:40 PM »
What about a lil dab of car grease or vasoline?  just wipe off with paper towel after

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:41 PM »
i would try the PAM, definately not antifreeze!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:58 PM »
If you don't mind a little mess, Vaseline will keep the ice off anything. I was lucky enough to have a dad who was a milk truck driver. They had a food grade spray product for the rubber impeller milk pumps in the back of the trucks. It was essentially aerosol Vaseline. It worked REALLY good. No stink, no stains, and it didn't travel either. It just got thicker and worked better for the purpose in cold weather. I sometimes put a little bit on my cheeks to ward off wind burn. ;D

I have no idea where a guy outside of the dairy industry would find some though...   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.