Author Topic: Ht Polar tip-up, same model but different trip arms?  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ht Polar tip-up, same model but different trip arms?
« on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:41 PM »
i was looking at the polar tip-ups through different dealers and noticed some have just the arm that comes off the spring that goes under the tripping thing then others have the same arm but have an extra piece of metal off it and i guess you now hook the tripping device to that instead. are those newer models of the ht polars? is there a dif between them and the older style?

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ht Polar tip-up, same model but different trip arms?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:40 PM »
The xtra "arm" on the flag pole is so it won't trip in the wind. You put the "pole"
between the xtra "arm" and the pole so the only way to trip the flag is when the spool spins because a fish pulled on the spool not the wind blowing the flag off the "T" on the shaft.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:15 PM »
oh okay, thank you!

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:40 PM »
do you think the ones with the xtra arm for the wind makes a diffrence compared to the original style?

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:41 AM »
Absolutely!  8)
You can set it on the lightest possible trip sensitivity and still there is no-way no-how that the wind is going to blow it off the cross arms of the tee. Even if the wind changes direction or howls like a blizzard!

That extra rod on the flag shaft if flipped over the top of the tee, will not allow the flag shaft to come off until the grease rod spins the tee, period!
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Absolutely!  8)
You can set it on the lightest possible trip sensitivity and still there is no-way no-how that the wind is going to blow it off the cross arms of the tee. Even if the wind changes direction or howls like a blizzard!

That extra rod on the flag shaft if flipped over the top of the tee, will not allow the flag shaft to come off until the grease rod spins the tee, period!

For you all wishing to modify your  polar tip up to have the extra elongated U wire, a wire coat hanger will supply enough for a half dozen tip ups.  I use black electrical tape wrapped on the flag wire to keep the newly added wire from slipping up or down the  flag wire shaft.  I like mine, it also allows for a little lighter setting on the spinner by saving the flag wire from being under so much flag spring bend.
Best,
Thread killer

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:32 PM »
Could you please post of photo of what your describing? Thanks.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Thread killer

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Thank you. I thought that is what you meant but wasn't positive. I have a Frabil tip up with that extra piece of wire.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:04 PM »
For you all wishing to modify your  polar tip up to have the extra elongated U wire, a wire coat hanger will supply enough for a half dozen tip ups.  I use black electrical tape wrapped on the flag wire to keep the newly added wire from slipping up or down the  flag wire shaft.  I like mine, it also allows for a little lighter setting on the spinner by saving the flag wire from being under so much flag spring bend.
Best,

Thats a great idea..  Would allow for a lighter setting..  TY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.