New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chaumont bay and 3 mile  (Read 15243 times)

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
Re: Chaumont bay and 3 mile
« Reply #90 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Question guys, I'm looking at one of those new electric augers vs. Gas.....I've been using a cordless drill attachment for a while.  I've never been to Three Mile or Chaumont area and am thinking about it for next week.   With 24-36 inches of ice, are the electric augers suitable for that thickness?  Any suggestions on brands or preferences would be greatly appreciated before I drop the cash.  Thanks!!!!

I picked up a jiffy pro 4 propane in 8" size a few weeks ago and love it!  No more hand augers for me. 2 pulls at the most and its running. Fish usa ( sponsor above ) had the best price over cabels, dicks, bass pro. My electric 8" is very slow auger speed and blade must be sharp to cut. I put on a new lazer auger and blades helped but not even close to the pro 4.  Good luck!

Offline basscott99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:19 PM »
A friend of mine left his depth finder and bait bucket at the boat launch parking lot in Chaumont bay today. If anyone found it please call Bob at 315-591-1454 Thanks in advance for helping this fisherman out.

Offline Canam800

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Apr 09, 2014, 03:34 AM »
Wondering what the status is on the ice ? Is there any safe ice left to get out on?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #93 on: Apr 09, 2014, 03:51 AM »
Question guys, I'm looking at one of those new electric augers vs. Gas.....I've been using a cordless drill attachment for a while.  I've never been to Three Mile or Chaumont area and am thinking about it for next week.   With 24-36 inches of ice, are the electric augers suitable for that thickness?  Any suggestions on brands or preferences would be greatly appreciated before I drop the cash.  Thanks!!!!
Ice GAtor does the job - and it does it faster than any other auger on the market.  It's the best and it will cut 30" of ice; just did more than 30 holes on Black Lake last Friday, in 28" of ice - not indication of slowing down.  I've had mine for four seasons now, with an 8" Nils auger on it.
They are pricey but they get the job done.  :P

Offline nitty52

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Apr 10, 2014, 12:35 PM »
Probably not a good idea to go out unless you see others on the ICE, or should I say slush now.  I was out in the Indian Lakes Region last weekend: 23 degrees at 7am by 4pm when I left the temperature climbed to 48 degrees.  With the temperature jumping 25 degrees, and with it now hitting 60 degrees, I would strongly advise against ice fishing. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #95 on: Apr 10, 2014, 04:34 PM »

I was on some of the Indian Lakes yesterday and know one there on either lake , I never go without a spud , and only the shore line was bad , with the snow on the ice makes it reflective , but water soaking in is a factor , there was 14" of hard ice where I was and 16" on the other with 3-4" of mush on top ,use common sense and a fishing partner doesn't hurt either , and last year coach and I were on Cas. Lake and the ice was unsafe in multiple spots and that was what guys said must be safe , there are guys out there and I had found several spots that the spud went through with 1 strike and these guys had no spud , just plodded across the ice totaly clueless of what they were walking on , people on ice doesn't always mean it's safe

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #96 on: Apr 10, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Wheeler went through out in Chippewa Bay Monday afternoon.  Guy had been over the spot a couple of times before he went through.  Ice broke up in an area 20 ft. across.  He was left standing on his submerged wheeler and still waist deep in water.  Several local rescue and fire depts responded and rescued the guy after he had been out there for more 1/2 hour.  :o  Not too good.  Guys he was with could not get anywhere near him.  That's the story I got from an individual that was fishing with him.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.