Author Topic: Burbot in Eastern NY?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline icefizzlemachizzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Burbot in Eastern NY?
« on: Jan 06, 2005, 01:48 PM »
Anyone know of any eastern ny lakes that hold any number of burbot? I'd like to try them out through the ice.

Offline icefizzlemachizzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Burbot in Eastern NY?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2005, 04:22 PM »
Thanks for the info slipbob...I'm from the lake george area and I've never heard of anyone taking one around here. I was just curious about them given they have their own post section on iceshanty.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2005, 10:27 PM »
 I have caught some from Champlain but that can be a ride from Lake George.
Jason

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2005, 12:00 PM »
Anyone know of any eastern ny lakes that hold any number of burbot? I'd like to try them out through the ice.

You can catch Burbot in Chaumont Bay.  My daughter hooked her first one there and it gave her quite a scare when it showed it's ugly mug up the hole! ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

trapperdirk

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2005, 05:08 PM »
I always thought they were in most lakes as they are here . ??? :-\

TD

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2005, 07:52 AM »
In Michigan, you dont find eelpout, burbut, lingcod, whatever you want to call them in anything but the great lakes, or tributaries to the great lakes. I think part of the problem is that our inland lakes are not big enough...plus, no one PLANTS eelpout on purpose like they do pike, bass, or trout, so they dont ever make it into the big inland lakes.

Around here, very few fisherman have heard of eelpout (except those that fish Bay De Noc), and those that have still consider them a garbage fish. Bay De Noc has a huge gobie problem. The gobie is a oriental species (which resembles a mudpuppy) that lives by eating the eggs from nests of other fish, particularly Walleye in Bay De Noc...burbot are a natural slayer of gobies. I've caught burbot with as many as fifteen gobies in it's stomach. Fisherman should be smart enough to put these fish back in the water if they are not going to eat them. Most of the time you see them laying on the ice dead and abandoned for the seagulls to eat.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Whiskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I love to be out doors!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2005, 07:00 PM »
I've herd that fishers on the east cost think Burbot is a Garbage fish. I think you need to try the fish one time then make your own decision. I say this because Burbot is the best tasting Fresh watter fish that I've tried. Over here on the west coast Burbot is a prized catch. I have cought Larger Burbot with P-mouth, , (Bait Fish) in it's mouth. Burbot play a big part of keeping these suckar fish under controll. I really don't like to hear that some fishermen leave them for the Seagulls.
JUST MY OPINION From BC
We live to fish!

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2005, 07:41 PM »
Can't speak for numbers of fish, but there are historical records of burbot in Canadarago, Otsego, and Champlain.  They also occur in teh Upper Susquehanna drainage. 
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:13 AM »
Burbot need cool water. If a lake is shallow it warms up in summer and will not sustain a burbot population.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.