Author Topic: Vexilar glo cup vs lure lightening vs 400 lumen led  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vexilar glo cup vs lure lightening vs 400 lumen led
« Reply #30 on: Nov 14, 2019, 08:31 PM »
Thanks for the update on uv light spectrum chart . I will keep on using the light I have. Don't worry about me I don't look directly at the sun or the light that I use for charging my lures.  Trust me you will get more radiation from your microwave  watching it go roundy round will heating your coffee cup up . Don't forget your uv glasses while fishing  or you will go blind.to each their own

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:47 PM »
Most of the LEDs are 365nm wavelength or higher, which is UV-A. The UV-B ones are the more dangerous ones. Can UV-A jack you up? Sure. But guys who don't wear sunglasses all summer long are going to have more exposure than someone who charges up their jigs during ice season.

I use a 365nm led flashlight. I avoid looking at it and also avoid looking at the lures while charging them.

Just my .02 worth.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 15, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Good stuff guys.  Thanks for all the info.  I may look into making a shield just to keep me from staring into the glow cup.  BUT wearing some UVA/UVB glasses will be my primary line of defense.  I wear them all the time on open water.  I'll just be more diligent about wearing them on the hard water too. 

I know we have safety glasses at work that are clear lenses and are advertised do the UVA/UVB thing, so those might be good for when you're in the shanty.  (Just don't tell my work that a pair might go home with me!  lol)  Lastly, I won't leave the glow cup on unless I'm using a glow jig and charging it.

-  Jim
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 15, 2019, 01:03 PM »
My God, what has it come to when we need safety glasses to charge a bait?

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2019, 02:58 PM »
My God, what has it come to when we need safety glasses to charge a bait?

I hear you, but that's basically like looking at the sun.  Same UV light as I understand it.  Since you only get one set of eyes, I figure that's a cheap and easy way to make them last.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.