Author Topic: Gloves Ice Fishing  (Read 11002 times)

Offline icesled

• IceShanty Rookie
Gloves Ice Fishing
« on: Dec 09, 2006, 07:37 AM »
I have tried all types of gloves and mittins over the last few years and still have not found any that keep my hands warm while fishing. What do you guys use that keep your hands dry and warm. Price dose not matter. Thanks

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
Re: Gloves Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2006, 07:51 AM »
I use a pair of rag wool fingerless gloves with the mitten finger covers. stick some hot hands warmers in the mitten part to keep fingers warm, All tho i have found over the years the warmer my upper body stays the warmer my fingers and toes stay. I was always cold until I got a good set of coveralls and now it is easy to stay warm. ;D

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2006, 08:14 AM »
I use a pair of deerskin mittens lined with wool
they are the bomb!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2006, 08:58 AM »
Had the same problem for a lot of years until I finally bought a Coleman bobcat heater and went to the basic cotton glove. All the heavy insulated gloves did for me was to keep my hands cold. If you set the heater in front of you between your knees it keeps the heat on your hands and you'll spend most of your day on the ice without gloves. Now I put the gloves on when its time to move only.
 :tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2006, 01:19 PM »
Big leather mittens with hot hands in them. But its not supposed too comfortable out there. Save the good fishin for us crazy mofos that will sacrifice our extremities in the name of a pan full o fillets
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2006, 01:21 PM »
I had an electrician tell me that he uses bengay. it makes his hands feel warm and he does not need gloves. If was not for the sent of bengay, i might try it!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2006, 01:37 PM »
I use these unless its below 10 degrees...they are very warm and dry without being bulky...when its really cold I'llwear loose mittens over these...I'm thinking of trying one of those handmuffs you wear around your waist

Offline Mud87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2006, 02:00 PM »
Check out the Clam corp ice gloves....there 30bucks but are 100% waterproof and very warm.....so i hear im gonna get a pair soon to try them out

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2006, 04:23 PM »
...I'm thinking of trying one of those handmuffs you wear around your waist
I won a Gerbings hand warmer during last year's IceShanty derby.......the thing is great.....no need to wear gloves anymore....you should check em out  ;)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2006, 07:26 PM »
I just got a pair of ice armor gloves and mittens that are supposed to be waterproof. I'll let you know.

Anybody ever wear rubber gloves to keep their hands dry when handling fish when it's not too cold? I used work in a meat department cutting up iced chickens and if I wore those yellow kitchen gloves my hands would stary dry and not get cold. Just a thought.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2006, 10:24 PM »
i gennerally dont wear gloves, but i do want to try one of those hand muffs that go around your waist for when you get done cleaning holes or putin bait on
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2006, 12:25 AM »
Duck Doctor

Try icy hot instead of bengay not as bad of a smell have questions about frost bite though you might not know your in trouble

Offline mattmull10

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Not bad, but i can do better!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2006, 08:36 AM »
The ice armor gloves are very good, they are for the most part water proof and are very warm in typical conditions.  The fact they are water proof makes them practical for icefishing for obvious reasons.  But if you are looking just for warmth i have a few suggestions. 

1) for a cheap alternitive at dicks they have a pair or gloves in the hunting section, i belive they are hotshots.  They are much like the wool fingerless gloves with the mitten top, but instead of being fingerless they have a light full finger glove inside and a full mitten over the them.  The key to these however is they have a pocket for one of those cheap 8 hour hand warmers and will keep you warm as can be.  However the downfall here is that they get wet easy and once they get wet they are done for.  However they were only 10 bucks as opposed to 25 to 30 for the ice armor.

2) another option like someone mentioned above is a pair or leather mittens.  My father has a pair or these are warm as can be but i have no clue where to get a pair.

3) HT makes a huge water proof mitten that i believe has some kind of used tire on the outside.  They are great for keeping warm but you can do anythign with these besides keep warm and sometimes grab a big pike in the hole

Matt
My new Motto for the New Year #@%& it i'm going fishing

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2006, 08:59 AM »
i like to take a wool finger less glove and slide the warmers in on the top side of my hand, seems to keep the fingers pretty warm.

Offline bullydog324

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:03 AM »
My girlfriend just got me a pair of the ice armor gloves and they are warm. They are hard to get on if your hands are a little wet. The material inside kind of bunches up a little. I can't complain to much because they were free. ;D

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:12 AM »
Bring a towel and dry you hands before your put on your gloves or mittens...mittens are a little better because you can ball your fists and rub your fingers together to warm them up.  It's also easier to fit a hand warmer inside the mitten.

The military surplus artic mittens work very well, be sure to buy the wool liner with them too for really cold days

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Wool is the common theme through most of these posts; even if it gets wet, it keeps your hands warm. I wear the large, plain wool mitts if I wear anything, and they work great; they are getting harder to find without some kind of leather stitched to the palm. Cotton doesn't retain any of your body heat when it gets wet or damp, so you'd be better off staying away from it.
Gregg

Offline papadoc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Little Bay De Noc
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:39 AM »
Two years ago I switched to these

They are awesome.
They are a bit bulky, but they are definately windproof and waterproof.
I put a disposable handwarmer in each glove, or between the glove and the liner and they are toasty....
I haven't had cold hands since.
If it is super cold out, you can add a lightweight pair of fingerless wool gloves in the mittens.
Works better than anything else I have found and the mittens are only 20 bucks at wal-mart....
-Brett-
><)))°>

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2006, 11:26 AM »
my father has used them too for years...........hard to jig with though!

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:50 PM »
i also use the black rubber mittinsi like how easy they are to put on and take off.the liners don't last to long so i knit my own liners. also are warmer

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2006, 06:48 PM »
I forget the name brand, but when I used to be a big-time, late season fly fisherman, I used neoprene gloves that allowed the fingertips to slip out of to tie on flies and such.  They worked well.

Now I just use regular waterproof, breathable gloves because I have a heated shanty and can stand the cold for the limited time I am out working the tipups.

One thing, I always ensure any glove I buy won't turn inside out when I pull my wet hands out in a hurry.  It is a major pain to try to stuff the insulation back into the finger holes.

Tight Lines.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2006, 06:56 PM »
I found a pair of those HT mittens at a garage sale a few years back fo 2.00 what a deal. They are great for when you pull up your tip ups at night and temp has gone down

Offline gokorn1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Air Traffic Controller In Training
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2006, 01:52 AM »
I use these unless its below 10 degrees...they are very warm and dry without being bulky...when its really cold I'llwear loose mittens over these...I'm thinking of trying one of those handmuffs you wear around your waist

(Image removed from quote.)

up here in Alaska those are the only gloves i wear. Kept me warm at -20 below so far
Cash Crate
Treasure Trooper

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2006, 01:06 PM »
i gennerally dont wear gloves, but i do want to try one of those hand muffs that go around your waist for when you get done cleaning holes or putin bait on

I use the muff and put a hand warmer inside.  Works great and really warms up your hands.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2006, 05:52 PM »
I now do a couple of things, one that was suggested by a member here I think, last year. I use the HT  mittens carried at Walmart and other places. OK for jigging (but I only use em for that when very cold),.When you get to tip up,.. you do the hockey thing of stripping them off and throwing them down on the ice together. Do what you have to do and then put them back on.
One thing I have done too is get several Jon- E handwarmers,..(I see them at flea markets for a buck or two) and put them in a box that gets a tiny amt of air (enough to keep combustion going ) then I put in cheap cotton gloves or maybe a few mittens,..you can often buy them in bulk.... keep them in the same box. Very nice to put on very warm gloves if hands are wet and cold,..lets the blood vessel open back up. I do this on soft water too. actually I have used two boxes then,..one for drying out the ones that gets wet,..(a few air holes to let out the moisture) the generally do dry out after a few hours.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2006, 10:21 AM »
I used a pair if ICE Armour gloves last year and thought they were pretty good. Never had wet hands.

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2006, 10:58 AM »
I use a combination of the hand muff (around the waste) with a pair of the military style wool glove inserts.  When you hands are bare (ie. setting tip-ups, transporting minnows, etc.) the muff keeps them warm and dries them off when you put your hands in/out.  The wool glove inserts are thin but very warm (warning, I do not fish in temperatures below -10c...not in NY ;D ) and you can carry multiple pairs because they are so lite...when one pair gets too wet from handling too many fish...put them away and get the next dry pair.

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2006, 11:53 AM »
I'm going to try something the rig crews have been doing for a long time around here, they get those cheap serving gloves they use a restaurants or food places that are dispossible, get them in a box off like 500. they wear these under plain old jersey gloves and work in below zero temps. Add these to some decent gloves and might be the ticket, Looks like clam's got the new gloves in mitts now I might check em out. I myself can not keep gloves on , things get going and I start looking for them when my hands are already hurt like :P
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline TaterSalad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2006, 11:58 AM »
I wear a pair of latex gloves under whatever gloves I use while fishing.  The latex seems to keep the wind chill down when I need to take my gloves off but they allow me to do almost anything I need.

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2006, 12:56 PM »
thick skin...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.