Author Topic: Perfect Glove  (Read 5229 times)

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
Perfect Glove
« on: Oct 22, 2006, 03:03 PM »

I've got a box full of gloves that were advertised as being the best,but what I find is the really warm gloves are to bulky or stiff and the waterproof gloves are not very warm.who's got the answer ?

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Perfect Glove
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2006, 04:13 PM »
im not sure who make them, but devil-man and the wizard have a pair of mittens that have this asphalt type outside that is waterproof and very good for griping fish that has a wool type liner thet is very warm, the reason i think they are great for icefishing is that they slip off with just the flip of the wrist for barehanding the tip-up line, yet they are quiet comfy in general use :tipup:

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2006, 05:17 PM »
I have yet to find the perfect glove and have almost given up hope, I own the Ice Armour gloves an although they are warm, the finger tips soak  up water and freeze and make them un usable, I also carry some neoprene (sp?) and they make my hands sweat....I go bare handed as much as possible, I won one of the Gerbings hand warmers last year and they should help keep me warm this winter

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2006, 07:40 PM »
Get yourself an insulated hand muff and some disposable heat packs to toss inside of the muff...  Any gloves will do if you've got the muff. 

I just wear a thin pair of polypropelyne glove liners and keep warming my hands in the heated muff as they get get cold.  I have a pair of Ice Armour gloves nearby to put on when I need to handle fish or tipups and want to keep my liners dry...

Seriously, the hand muff is one thing I will go back home to get if I find that I forgot it....
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2006, 07:50 PM »
I use those rubber dipped palm knit gloves. They make a blue palmed summer variety, and a grey palmed winter variety. They resist soaking up water because the palm is waterproof, but your hands don't sweat because the back is knit. The winter variety is surprisingly warm, I use them at work in -20F temps. They also are great for gripping fish, and because they don't soak up slime you can snow rub them clean. They form fit, so dexterity is not too bad. I also carry a big pair of chopper mittens, nothing is warmer than a pair of choppers. ;D

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2006, 07:58 PM »
I would say it would be the correct combination of gloves would be the answer.
I use wool fingerless gloves, with a pair of eskimo gloves ( as described by rondog )

For outdoor fishing when its bearable :
What you do is keep one eskimo glove in your pocket in your coat,so you can slip your hand right in, depending on wich hand you use for jigging, the other one all the time.The eskimo glove slides right off with a shake of the hand when needed.

In a shanty or tent, I always wore just the fingerless gloves.Hands down my favorite combination.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2006, 09:23 PM »
I would have to agree with the combination post,I just dont think there is a perfect pair just for ice fishing as of yet. :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2006, 06:15 AM »
pick up a pile of army surplus wool gloves both fingered and fingerless and a hand muff. Keep swapping out wet for dry and add a hand warmer. Pick up the dead hand warmers and don't throw the plastic wrap on ice either please.

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2006, 09:20 AM »
I've tried most of the suggestions and agree with most of the results.The Ice armor are pretty good if it's not to cold and you keep them dry,the wool glove liners doubled up work about the best but you need 5 or 6 pairs for a full day.I've just purchased a muff that if it does what it says,  it will be hard to beat: It's sold by Optronics It's a 6 volt muff with a rechargeable batterry a/c or d/c,It claims to put out 150* for 12 hours on a single charge
.Waterproof fleece and it's available in mossy oak.It sells for around $70.00 with the battery and an a/c d/c charger 8)

Camo
 I didn't realize there was a dressing for fishing page

camo_fish

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2006, 12:21 PM »
Camo
 I didn't realize there was a dressing for fishing page
Not a problem.  :) I was going to move it the other day, but I left it so it would get some answers in the NY board 1st.  ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the perfect glove, I do think that this is a hard one to come by.  ;)

I just pack a few pairs with me cause they always seem to get wet.  :-\
I like the thinest pair I can find. I've find that these are my favorite: Cabela's Thinsulate™ Camoskinz® Gloves
But, they don't last long in the cold, but you can still reel your jigpole with them, there to bulky. You just need to completely dry your hands off before you put them back on, cause they are skin tight.

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2006, 02:10 PM »
so true slipbob.

need a towel for sure to dry hands off.

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2006, 03:51 PM »
I use the old brown jersey gloves you can buy for like $1.50 a pair. I take 4 or 5 pairs with me and when one pair gets wet I grab abother pair. When I'm in the shanty I don't wear any gloves. I just dry my hands on a towel. Just my 2 cents worth.
packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2006, 07:02 PM »
I bring a couple of towels for drying off. Also 3-4 pairs of nitile gloves. Keeps your hands dry and warmer longer. You can wipe the fish slime off in the snow. Two other pairs glove and mitten type depending on weather and as a spare. There is no ONE perfect all around glove.
     Kim :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2006, 06:22 PM »

As everyone said there is no perfect glove. Towards the end of last season I tried a pair of Manzella Cascade gloves and I was impressed. They have a fleece shell, rubbertec palm .. forefinger and thumb, Thinsulate insulation, waterproof/breatheable membrane, they are not bulky and the price was $20 delivered to the door.
I used them on the last three outings and I liked them. As a test near the end of one day I put my gloves into the hole and wet them almost to the wrist. I had worn them the last two hours and although they were stiff my hands were warm and dry. There were several IS members there to vouch for this.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2006, 05:31 PM »
It's called a mitten (preferably waterproof/breatheable).   ;)   

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2006, 10:41 PM »
i got a couple pairs of neoprean gloves and have been out in -50 fishing with them and they are really warm. just gotta dry your hands before putting them in the gloves but when you have a fish on there really isnt much need to take them off because they aren't that bulky. can't remember the name of them cause they are at my cabin and its gonna be another week until i get out there.

Offline canoesota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Got my mojo working"
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2006, 09:54 PM »
I wear a old pair of deerskin leather choppers with wool mitten liners. Old idea but works well they go on and off fast. Wool is warm even when wet! I love em.

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2006, 08:30 AM »
Ice Armour is releasing a mitten style made of the same materials as the glove.   we got them in at Dicks sporting goods the other day and i set aside a pair for myself to buy tonight.

It's employee family and friend night and i get 25% of each item, then another 10% of my total amount = big savings when you are spending alot.

I'll review them once i finally get out on the ice.  I also own the ice armour glove, and find that if it's really cold the finges tend to freeze...but with the mitten style you will be able to clench your fists and rub your fingers togethr to warm them up.

The key is to dry your hands before you put your gloves back  on

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.