Author Topic: Surefire way to ward off frozen toes and fingers  (Read 5896 times)

Paradice

Surefire way to ward off frozen toes and fingers
« on: Dec 19, 2004, 08:33 AM »
I watched a show on the discovery channel that talked about hypothermia and frostbite and what causes it.  Here's what I learned. 

-You must keep your vitals warm, period.  When your vitals aren't warm enough, your body will re-direct the heat and energy it has to keep your heart, lungs, etc warm.  I incorporate at least a vest to my layers.  All those sleeves just bind up and don't keep you warm.  If you've got old sweatshirts you don't wear anymore, cut off the sleeves and put a few extra layers on your chest. 

-Don't dress too tight.  Wear your boots so there is comfort.  You don't want to restrict circulation in the least bit.  I like to wear a heavy pac boot with lots of room and wools socks.  cotton sweats and keeps your feet wet.  That's a big no no.  Wool, wool, wool.

-Stay dry

-So long as you follow those few tips, you'll have a better chance at roughin it.  I fished in 20 mph winds at 5 below temps, all day.  It worked for me, hope it works for you. 

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
Re: Surefire way to ward off frozen toes and fingers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2004, 08:59 AM »
I have a head sock. Or at least I think that's what it's called. It makes about five styles of hat and keeps your head,neck and face warm. Its spelled HEADSOKZ.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Paradice

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2004, 09:06 AM »
I've got something like what you're talking about.  I got mine from cabelas and they call it a bavaclava, or something to that extent.  That and a good carhart hat will keep the wind from whipping through your ears and down your back.  Then you've got'er licked.

Offline oldstuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2004, 04:15 PM »
I have a head sock. Or at least I think that's what it's called. It makes about five styles of hat and keeps your head,neck and face warm. Its spelled HEADSOKZ.

Mrlongbeard:
Where do you get the headsokz?  I wear a neck gator to keep the back of my neck warm, but a all in one gizmo would work better I think.

Thanks

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2004, 08:17 PM »
oldstuff,
if you are looking for the headsokz you can find them in the malls or at your local sportsman shows. If that does not work you can try www.headsokx.com. I picked one of these up last year and it was a great score, keeps the head and neck warm all day long.

Offline oldstuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2004, 09:03 PM »
Mongo,
Thanks for the reply.  I will check out the web site and see how it goes.

All the best

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2004, 09:14 PM »
i got mine in a ski shop!!

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2004, 06:51 AM »
I thought they also call them Klava's.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Best bet to keep fingers and toes warm is to keep them dry. Bring a hand towel and dry your hands off before you stick them back in your gloves or mittens. Wear wool/poly socks and spray/sprinkle/apply anti-perspirant to your feet.
FTD

Basshuntah

« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2005, 02:32 PM »
couldn't agree more with the use of wool, the best stuff on earth, I sleep on wool. ;D

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2005, 11:16 PM »
I have a fleece balaclava that I paid about $14 for and wouldn't go fishing in cold weather without it. It acts as a gator and a hood or you can pull the hood part down and just use it as a gator. It's the best.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2005, 12:16 AM »
Wearing layers is also an important part.

Hiking out on the ice can get you sweaty, which is one of the worst things to do. Layer down from vehicle until all holes are drilled and Tip Ups are set. Layer and zip back up as soon as you become stationary on the ice.

If the wind is blowing, pulling your hood up over your other head gear will really help keep you warmer. That and keeping your back to the wind can make a big difference while out on the ice.

I had a son pass out on the ice once. A pretty scary thing at the time, particularly since we were quite a ways from the vehicle. He did not show any of the classic signs of Hypothermia. We all have Boy Scout outdoor training and experience, so we know what to look for. He never had the shakes, blue lips or any other tell-tale signs.

He had said he was cold, so I had kept watching for any symptoms. I always make a point to dress less warmly than the kids. If I stay warm enough, then they should be OK as well. During this trip even all these precautions were not enough, but fortunately everything worked out OK.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2005, 05:40 PM »
 WOOL is king.. I use a set of Wool liners inside my boot,,love the extra warmth and comfort it adds to my sits on the ice and in the stands.
 1 thing I havent seen anyone talk about is the AMAZING ability of a single piece of CARPET between your feet and the ice or a cold metal treestand...  Old tip and prolly one of the best

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2005, 05:04 PM »
i have a balaclava that i love for hunting for camoflage reasons in cold weather. but im goofy when it comes to ice fishing i usually stand outside my shanty all day with no gloves and no hat with a clean shaven head, as a matter of fact this is what i look like 8)  ;D
i can withstand some pretty cold weater and winds but if my feet get cold im as good as done so i have to agree with everyone there with wool, wool, wool :tipup:

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2005, 09:01 PM »
Wool and fleece, dress in layers, and remember "cotton kills" it just holds all the moisture you give off and make it work against you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.