Author Topic: Wet or sore knees  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
Wet or sore knees
« on: Sep 22, 2004, 06:30 PM »
On those days when the temperature is high enough to melt the surface snow, or there's just bare ice, your knees can get wet or sore every time you re-bait.  Get yourself a pair of those floor worker or plumbers thick sponge knee pads.  These are the kind with the wide elastic band that goes behind your knee, where it fastens with velcro.  Put them over your snow pants, and you're set! They are the cat's a$$ for mild day or bare ice fishing.  ( I gotta admit - this was Perch Pounder's idea, and they saved my knees last winter when the ice was snow free, and rock hard).  They also allow you to go down on your knees real fast to grab that rod that's almost down the hole. 
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

camo_fish

Re: Wet or sore knees
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2004, 07:46 PM »
Right on! Think I'll get a pair for this year, yea, on warm days my knees get a little wet, and on cold days, always have a nice ice formation on my knees.  ;D It's not bad when your out in the ice but back to the warm truck and home the knees start to ache alittle. Thanks for the idea.  :thumbsup:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2004, 04:16 AM »
I have some great knee pads from my days in construction...nice padded nylon with plastic knee covers. I always protected my knees...known too many tile guys and masons that had trouble walking before they should have.

The thing I didn't like about them was the straps around my legs...they just weren't comfortable.

Sooooo, being the tinkerer that I am, I took a couple of pieces of 1/2" closed cell foam and some camo cloth and sewed them to the knees of my insulated bibs. At first I tried just a pocket over the knee thinking I could remove the pads if I wanted. In the end I just sewed them there permanently.

Like my hex screw cleats, I can't forget or lose them and they work great.

Best of all...they were CHEAP! :clap:

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2004, 11:44 AM »
RG,  Can't wear kneepads out ice fishing with the "Goatheads" I fish with.... I'd never hear the end of it! ;D  Good ideas!  Got any pics of your cleats
TEAM ALASKA

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2004, 12:52 PM »
Barleydog,
Check the ice cleats topic in the General thread.
Bob
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2004, 04:02 PM »
I completely agree with Cider. I have some ice chaps as well, and they work great for keeping the ice and water off of your legs. I got mine last year and haven't went fishing without them yet! It is nice not having to sit on a pail, then getting up having to carry the pail, vexilar and pole all at the same time. I believe I got the chaps for $12.
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2004, 12:48 PM »
How big do they make these "ice chaps"? With all of the bulky clothes that you obviously have to wear and my gigantic legs anyway, I am wondering if they make them big enough???
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2004, 02:57 PM »
Do you guys wear these chaps, pads, and other leg protecting paraphernalia on the ice when it's below 10 degrees or so?  Just curious how you can maneuver around running tip-ups!  You'd look like "Robofisher" running for a flag. :tipup:  Do any of you fish in deep snow?? (anything deeper than 12 inches.)  Does the use of chaps get in the way? or do you adapt and walk like a gun slinger?  I can't imagine running for a flag in three feet of snow with chaps on, but if they keep the Carhardt glaciers from forming on my gear, what the heck! ;D  Those pesky formations wiegh ya down after a day on the ice.

RG, Thanks for the link!  I'm installing some tonight on my Lacrosse's.  Did you ever forget to take your boots off in the entryway and have the wife chew ya a new one for diggin' holes in the linoleum or wood floor? :P  I use Yak's, but don't like to change them when it's 20 below...   

TEAM ALASKA

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2004, 03:46 PM »
Because the pads ride on your knees on the outside of your snow gear, they don't interfere with movement to any extent.  Even sitting on a bucket beside the hole is OK.  Only if you have to bend your knees past 90 degrees, like tucking them under you do the elastic straps get bothersome.   - (Unless you kneel down and sit with your butt on your heels).  Anyway, the pads work for me!  Besides, I bought them initially to lay in laminate flooring in the house, so they might as well get double duty! ;D
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2004, 04:04 PM »
Barlydog,
It's kinda difficult to drive with my boots on so no I haven't. No lake outside my door, unfortunately. Of course if there were I'd never get anything done...except fishin' ;D
RG

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2004, 04:52 PM »
Cider,  I wear a one piece Carhardt suit, (don't like those cold breezes on me backside.)  My mobility is limited due to the "Carhardt cocoon" I fish in.  Will they hold up in cold weather?  Vinyl scares me when it's zero outside with the way it snaps, crackles, and rips.  Have you used them in the extremes?  Looks like a good deal for 15$$?
RG, Very true on the driving!  Hate driving with Bunny boots on, (unless I have the road to myself.) ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2005, 05:33 PM »
Hate to say it, So I aint tell`n him....But KID turned me on to this,, went to a "Play it again Sports", bought a set of BaseBall shin guards  that not only have a plastic outer that keep you dry, but also have that extra padding to keep you comfortable and OFF the ice.
 oh ok **censored**.....THANKS  ASPHALT_KID...... 

( Insert pic of KID and his knee pads)

thehe...

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2005, 08:42 PM »
Talk about harsh
LOL  Geez And this is the thanks I get for helping a fellow angler out.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2005, 04:58 PM »
i just bought a pair of $35 ski pants and i have never had a problem with getting wet, but i have to agree with barleydog, if i wore kneepads out with the group i fish with, well i think you all know the jokes i would be facing ;D at least i would be considered the head fishermen for a day ;)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2005, 01:46 PM »
Archbishop,  Just keep it your little secret, and don't post photos!  Remember to share your pads with your friends!!  They need a turn too.   :D :D
TEAM ALASKA

Luke Ice Walker

« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2005, 09:23 AM »
I have a pair of the Ice Chaps.  They work pretty good and for the $ you can't go wrong.  One size fits all and they strap on easier than cleats.  Great for the warmer days you don't want to wear or don't have a "suit" thats water proof.

Later,
Luke Ice Walker

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2005, 09:27 AM »
i use snowboarder pants as they have cushioning built in to knees

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com