Author Topic: what to wear  (Read 3066 times)

peple of the perch

what to wear
« on: Feb 12, 2004, 05:58 PM »
How should I dress to prepare for ice fishing? I don't want to look out of place.

raleigh

Re: what to were
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2004, 06:27 PM »
Who cares if you look like a freak as long as your warm. Ice fisherman are not to concerned about what the guy 50 feet away from them is wearing.So my advise is as long as your warm, Who cares.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2004, 10:34 AM »
as long as your choice of clothing doesn't bother the fish, you are ok.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2004, 12:45 AM »
I would always start out with non cotton long underwear that is comfortable and warm. But under the long underwear top you should wear a polypro under shirt. Then I would wear warm and comfortable polarfleece sweats, then a polarfleece sweater. Socks wise start with a polypro liner and then a thinner pair of goretex socks, and then thick wool outersocks. Make sure your boots are water and wind proof and rated to at least 40 below.
I then wear an insulated pair of water and windproof gore tex outer pants. Last of all, a thick, high quality parka that is well insulated and the outer layer is gore tex will keep the wind and snow away from you. I usually wear a fleece head guard and then put the hoods of both my polar fleece sweater and then my parka on.
Like this, I am comfortable in bitter cold temps, even at 30 below and high winds. So usually when everyone else is b***hing about how cold it is, I am honestly toasty warm and catching fish. If you get cold easy, try a good pair of insulated goretex bibs, subsitute the parka for a one piece snow suit. But the key is you must have properly fitted layers underneath.
As a general rule of thumb avoid cotton because it holds in moisture.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline GoFish123

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Fishermen don't yield to the weather."
Re: what to wear
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2004, 05:57 PM »
I buy a camo suit before each hunting season and use it throughout the winter months for pretty much everything.  Then i just wear sweats under the suit.  But take raleigh's advice and just STAY WARM!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.