Author Topic: StrikeMaster Lite Flite v Nils v KDrill v Pistol Bit. Thoughts for new anglers  (Read 5631 times)

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
BaitBucket, we must be sharing a brainwave, I just made a very similar post!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What kills me is that most of these augers all cut about the same. One may be a second or two faster than others but its nothing noticeable.

The big selling point on these is supposedly their weight.. Which may not be as light as many of you think..

The 6" Kdrill weighs in at around 4lb 5oz..$239
The 6" Pistol bit is around 3lb 2oz..$180
The 6" Lite Flite is right around 4lb 4oz.. $180

My 6" 50$ Mora is right at about 4lb 4oz...And they can be found used for about 20$.. A spare set of blades will run you around 15-20$ as well.

Yup, lots of options.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
For me its not the weight at all its the pilot point which is not a significant improvement over my cheap mora to put up the money for the new augers made for the drills. i could give a crap which one is faster and mainly concerned on the price of replacement blades and blade longevity .just my worthless opinion on this subject.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yeah the speed thing always makes me giggle.  i can drill 50 holes 2 seconds fast a hole with my XXX! omg a minute and a half lost for shame. 

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Price ..speed..blade style ..weight ..many options.

TASTES GREAT...LESS FILLING
          to each there own
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Price ..speed..blade style ..weight ..many options.

TASTES GREAT...LESS FILLING
          to each there own
So true , didn’t see any votes for the spoon auger 😉

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac

I have one you can buy if you miss them...at least I think I still have it an didn't throw it out. They are the main reason I didn't ice fish much when I was a kid. Too darn hard to make a hole.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I have one you can buy if you miss them...at least I think I still have it an didn't throw it out. They are the main reason I didn't ice fish much when I was a kid. Too darn hard to make a hole.
Lol I still have mine , nice ornament  , I don’t throw anything out , I even have an old 6” mora with the 12” extension in the handle lots of old decorations around here including me 😉

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Ive got a bunch of spoon augers too.the augers are not rare around here but blade guards for them are.they always fell off and lost.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
The day I got to stop using a spoon auger was a great day :)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
The day I got to stop using a spoon auger was a great day :)
damn right but the cutting holes with a axe sucked too.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Can you imagine all the "suspense" that would happen if only 25% of the auger review videos were exclusively spoon augers?

Then we could do the 8 inch and finally the 10 inch spoon auger demo.

I think the 10 inch would need Paul Bunyan in shorts to get it done.   ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
My father has an old spoon auger!! I should have thrown that in the review!!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
wish you would have shown how they cut between the two of them.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Seems to me that the various manufacturers of these light weight auger options fit a specific niche

K-Drill...chipper blade
Pistol bit...Mora blade
SM Lite Flite...lazer blade
HT E-Drill..mora blade ..and price
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Seems to me that the various manufacturers of these light weight auger options fit a specific niche

K-Drill...chipper blade
Pistol bit...Mora blade
SM Lite Flite...lazer blade
HT E-Drill..mora blade ..and price

An EVERY niche is better than a spoon blade we grew up with and EVERY niche is powered.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
An EVERY niche is better than a spoon blade we grew up with and EVERY niche is powered.
👍

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
For me its not the weight at all its the pilot point which is not a significant improvement over my cheap mora to put up the money for the new augers made for the drills. i could give a crap which one is faster and mainly concerned on the price of replacement blades and blade longevity .just my worthless opinion on this subject.

Someone had a picture last year of a mora that they just welded a screw to for a pilot point, I cant find the thread though. K drill blades have lasted the longest for me (4 seasons, no sharpening), but are pretty pricey at 40 bucks, mini nero blades seem just as sharp after one season and are cheap at 15-20 bucks (sometimes less on sale). I used to replace mora blades every season with a sharpen halfway through the season, and Nils got dull or misaligned on me in about a half season.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just ordered one of the new 8" StrikeMaster Lite Flites.  Had to change blades again on the old 7" hand StrikeMaster and my two daughters were looking for Christmas ideas so made everybody happy.  Looking forward to trying it out. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.