The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best place for end of season trip..Boysen?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best place for end of season trip..Boysen?
« on: Feb 13, 2017, 02:06 PM »
My fishing partner and I ( 3yr old daughter) are looking for a good place to go fishing for a few days this week.  I've been keeping an eye in the reports and conditions and it seems like boysen's ice is still good and its a good time for kids up there.  Any advice?  This has been our first season on hardwater and I cant believe it took me this long.  We're hooked for sure!

Offline dub307

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tight lines
Re: Best place for end of season trip..Boysen?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2017, 03:13 PM »
I don't have a recent ice report for boysen but i do know it is your best bet for sure.  it has had 2'-2.5' of good ice for the passed 1.5 months.  temps have been below freezing all but a few days lately they have got some warmer temps.  but not like the rest of the state and they don't get pounded with the wind there (which eats away at the ice also) so they've managed to maintain good conditions.  I'm guessing the edges will start getting soft and wet so may need a plank to get onto the solid ice.  but I'm guessing you'll still see 16"+ inches of ice.  good luck and be safe

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2017, 11:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  We actually got in this evening.  Decided this morning to make the trip.  The bait shop suggested tough creek so we went out there for an hour right when it was getting dark.  Any suggestions for walleye and burbot? Or perch for my daughter?  Will probably try tough creek again tomorrow morning but we'll be here till friday so we could definitly use some more advice!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2017, 07:35 AM »
The perch seem to be just about anywhere on the lake, I was getting them deep around 44 feet but that was the deepest water around on a big mud flat,  Heard guys doing well over at sand mesa and trout bay.  For the ling not sure we caught one during the derby but it came through where we were catching the perch.  I know others that have been catching the perch in 22 feet or less.  I have had most my flags in 5 feet or 44 feet of water nothing in between, but have not been out since the derby.  If you want to just catch a bunch of perch stop by bass lake on the west side of the lake and drill until you find out where they are, just no live bait on this lake but always a good day for the kids to jig a bunch up.

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2017, 08:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Might head to trout bay tomorrow.  Can you make it in a two wheel drive? It was pretty slow today.  3 bites, one pole almost through the hole.  Caught one perch all day but it was the biggest ive ever caught.  12" and fat.  Couldnt have asked for a more nice day.  No wind is amazing...dont get much of that down by cheyenne. Heres a link to the perch we caught     https://goo.gl/photos/CNGf5qppgknYLA116

Offline Jason Stafford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2017, 09:11 PM »
Congratulations that's a great looking perch.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:44 AM »
As long as there is not a lot of mud I have made it in my little car to most places on the lake, sand mesa is gravel road all the way just have to walk down the cliff to get on the ice but nice picnic tables and all to lounge around watching tip ups and having a nice fire.

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:42 PM »
Went between trout bay and sand mesa? today.  Tried everything and every depth...minnows..worms ..jigs..8 lines between my daughter and I.  Not one bite.  Oh well! Tomorrow were going to ease our itch on bass lake.  50 perch should do it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.