Author Topic: Any good "quick change" for panfish jigs?  (Read 5207 times)

Offline kinkyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Any good "quick change" for panfish jigs?
« on: Dec 15, 2005, 06:42 AM »
Hello:

Re-tieing small jigs when panfishing can be a real pain when wanting to check the various colors/styles (especially in the cold and dark!).  Does anyone have a good quick change method??

Thanks,

Kinky

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any good "quick change" for panfish jigs?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:33 AM »
Get some "fas-snaps". They make them in different sizes. Most fishing stores carry them.
Ken                                          

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:43 AM »
I gave up mono and only use it on my leaders, so I have a bunch of jigs pre tied on to 24-36" mono leaders, then I put them on ine of the storage tubes for walleye spinners.  At the end of my braid is a snap swivel, so I completely change out the leader and all.  Takes a little more preperation time at home, but saves a lot of time on the ice. 

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2005, 09:25 PM »
Try some no-knots!! Thay use them for fly fishing!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2005, 07:35 PM »
MN burbot has the best quick change system I've heard of.
I tried those quick change clip types that turned in to a huge flop because the fish didn't like them. For me I just decided to get good at tying the improved clinch knot and that proved to be the best for me. After learning a couple other knots I can now change to a new jig in about a minute. I think my love of trout fishing helped because if you want to catch trout you need to fish the tangles ... if you fish the tangles, you're going to be breaking off a lot and re-tying. Don't take long to learn to re-tie when the trout are biting.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Ive seen my buddy use them right next too me and catch as many fish as I was but i dont liek using the snaps. I just tie new jigs on the biggest problem i found is getting 2lb test through a tiny eye so I take nail clippers and cut the line and an angle and they thread through alot easier

good luck

FK
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Go to a sewing store and ask them for the little peice of bent metal that helps you thread the eye of a needle. You can get them for 3 of them for a buck.  Slide right through the eve of a #10 hook.
sparky

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2006, 01:28 PM »
i have fas snaps on all my jig poles (4) and i still like to just switch jig poles its alot quicker than finding your tackle box and adding spikes waxies etc. just have em ready to go with different jigs
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline tunein36

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2006, 09:19 PM »
I currently have 4 jig poles set up with different sizes and colors and just switch between them as I feel like it. i did like the idea of having different set ups pre-tied on leaders and just tie them in or then you could use a snap swivel tied to the terminal end of the line and just have loops tied on the leaders.
I am going to be busy tying some leaders this week now.  :D

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2006, 05:27 PM »
I currently have 4 jig poles set up with different sizes and colors and just switch between them as I feel like it.

That is definitely the fastest quick change out there!
 :tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2006, 05:35 PM »
quick snaps...small size...you'll drop quite a few on the ice when you have to retie, but they work great...been using them for about ten years now and wouldn't want to go without...when I don't have any I tie an overhand loop....works almost as well...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:57 AM »
I can't see well enough to do a lot of tying on ice so it's the needle threader and
reading glasses for me.  I keep a selection of poles prerigged to change colors and
sizes.  A lot easier to tie at home.  I don't like much terminal tackle on jigging spoons
so instead of a snap swivel I use a barrel swivel ,a 2' leader, and a fas snap for
these poles.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2006, 01:31 AM »
before i head to the ice    in the house i tie on all the jigs then only change  the bigger ones on the ice
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:22 AM »
When I first heard about those "fast-snaps" or "no-knots" I was a bit skeptical, but they have been working great. I have them on 2 of my 3 panfish rods. I sitll like to keep one bare for the really small jigs and supersensative bite.

crowkiller

« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Ive seen little clips for quick change but i don't use them i just retie. use a pair of hemostats to hold jig while tyeing it helps

billybono

« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2006, 09:55 PM »
i re  tie also. i HATE too much hardware on my line, excpecially in a fishes line of sight. it only takes seconds to retie anyway

billybono

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.