Author Topic: Water temp for hardwater fishing  (Read 1226 times)

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Beer making the world a better place
Water temp for hardwater fishing
« on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:24 AM »
Any one try using a Thermometer to probe for water temps And if so what temp would you look to fish in or is it more of a cover or forage issue to look for to catch fish

Offline IcePirate6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flaggg!!!
Re: Water temp for hardwater fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:36 AM »
I use temperature when fishing trout on summer nights, I have never thought of it for ice fishing because I have always just assumed it was about cover for the fish and oxygen levels.

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Beer making the world a better place
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:51 AM »
This might be something to explore a little bit Not sure if has any merit to invest the time But hey ya never know :tipup:

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:56 AM »
If you use the "search" feature and try using "water temperature" as the words to look for in the "General Ice Fishing Chit Chat" section you will find many threads that talk about water temps as they relate.  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:09 AM »
Once the ice forms, it's as much about dissolved oxygen concentration as it is about temperature.  Yes, the deepest water should be about 39 degrees fahrenheit.  But colder water can hold more oxygen.  If conditions like rotting weeds, or too many fish concentrated in a small area take the oxygen out of the water, fish will move to colder water to find oxygen.  Kinda like walking out in the cold to get a breath of fresh air when it's too smokey or stuffy in a room.

Some species are better at handling lower oxygen.  Some are better at dealing with the colder temps, just under the ice.  Perch stay where it's warm.  Trout seem to prefer the higher concentrations or oxygen.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2010, 02:51 PM »
That's it, oxygen content

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2010, 02:16 AM »
Perch can handle almost any condition present in most lakes and ponds in North America, but they are forced to follow their forage and stay in those areas because this prey has a more finite set of habitat requirements... For trout and salmon, they absolutely require higher oxygen concentrations and cleaner water. For some fish species, their main food source dictates where they will thrive, while other species survive in a set range of conditions and these must be present for a successful, sustainable population to exist. These are just examples, hopefully I've helped explain something about this subject (fish biology).

As far as a thermometer, I'd say that mid to late winter would be the best time to use it because of the depleted oxygen levels in the water
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:16 PM »
My camera reads temperature and I always pay attention to it since it may help on a specific day in one lake if there is similar areas of vegetation/temps to fish. Vegetation is more of a deciding factor for me. The weeds provide cover and oxygen for the fish.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.