Author Topic: Camera Panner for open water?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Camera Panner for open water?
« on: Mar 21, 2016, 08:21 AM »
any one know if there is a camera holder/panner for open water?
if not, sounds like some one could cash in. a rod holder mount could be used to hold one. seems like scotty brand would have one.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Camera Panner for open water?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2016, 10:23 AM »
I initially bought my camera for open water. Problem is the ever changing depth. Even on seemingly dead calm, you're still moving somewhat. My Auqa vu points to the rear in those conditions, constantly have to adjust for depth. The Mo pod has the cable locked in at the proper depth. Great tool for scouting, marking spots. I use the record feature to review later.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2016, 08:47 AM »
metalbender
thanks!
good info i didn't consider yet on using one in a boat.
what's holding the mopod?
i have a marcum panner that i might be able to get a scotty rod holder to hang on to. the depth thing will be harder to figure out. maybe that's why no one has made one yet for us.
the marcum camera looks like it's meant to swim forward with three fins on board. it's called a manta camera and heavy.

hardwater diehard
thanks!
that looks good for a down rigger for sure. i don't have one and will be using a kayak instead.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2016, 12:39 AM »
I guess a little misunderstanding.  The panner wouldn't work on open water.  As you are moving, the depth is changing and with the cable locked in position, just won't work.  Didn't express myself properly.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2016, 12:40 PM »
i'm talking about anchored down or no wind days using a camera underwater. what is there made that holds the cable and/or turns it is the question.

if you hold it by hand you can't fish or move the boat or bring up anchors ect.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2016, 12:56 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309081.0

I made one out of a pool pole ...the noodle is great as it helps with fatigue ...easier to push down then to hold it up ..

Also with my Micro I can float it behind the boat or toss it out from dock/shore via a bobber ..some YouTube link in above links ...

You could add a  remote camera pannier ..Marcum or Aqua Vu ...to a small inner tube and tow or drift it out or behind the boat ...might be a lot of work on deployment though
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2016, 01:21 PM »
hardwater diehard
thanks again!

some neat ideas! i saved the page and bookmarked it.

got me thinking about what else might work like vex cable stoppers on a piece of pex or any ones stoppers that will fit the camera cable. it won't need a marker, the camera has a compass built in.
maybe an extra notch in the yak paddles and a cable stopper.

the swim noodle would cushion/absorb a lot of the waves motion from the camera too. just no way to turn it and hold it's position.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2016, 01:40 PM »
When I use the bobber trick it pretty much points toward me as you drag/tow it  ...if you add weight to the camera it steadies it some ...the pool pole is great for peeking under docks ...stumps ...lily pads ...or straight down in deeper/basin water ... not sure how my mods would work on a lot of the bigger style camera head(Vexilar/Marcum/Aqua Vu 700/LCD)..I am sure some R&D would be in order.Good Luck post your results ..lot of Anglers don't deploy them much in the soft water season ...based on cumbersome deployment options 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2016, 10:00 AM »
you use the aqua-vu i think and that looks to be super light weight. i don't think any weight will be needed for the marcum manta cam. it weighs 2.5 pounds already and has the swim fins. it may track true being they added the weight and fins or at least i think it should because they are not needed for ice fishing for sure, but comes with the lx9. it's probably because that may be the only camera they have to offer.

been talking on mff about anchor poles for kayaks and maybe having some thing that would hold that would also hold the camera, if i go that route. the swim noodle sounds the easiest still and should remove some of the up and down motion when the right amount of foam is used. i do use those zigzag rope holders and could use one to hold the cable too maybe. using the panner from marcum can still be used to i think in a scotty rod holder mounted to the side of the boat. i did pick up their extension arm/mount on sale last fall from fish307 and it's still in the box.

so i guess there are many ways to come up with a make shift solution, but no one has made one for it commercially yet. that's what i was hoping to find.

thanks again for sharing your ideas and input. i appreciate it.

i found this just now. it would solve the mounting issues
http://www.amazon.com/AquaBotix-HydroView-Controlled-Underwater-Vehicle/dp/B009EU5GJM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.