Author Topic: best way to get 2 flip overs out on the ice  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
best way to get 2 flip overs out on the ice
« on: Oct 13, 2013, 12:06 PM »
My fishing buddy and i are about to get a used snowmobile.

so we will be traveling from his house to the ice as  much as we can. the issue is we both have our own one man flip overs.

do we tow both one behind the other. or do(can) you make a Smitty style sled to stack them one over the other.

would love some ideas and help on this.
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: best way to get 2 flip overs out on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2013, 12:25 PM »
My fishing buddy and i are about to get a used snowmobile.

so we will be traveling from his house to the ice as  much as we can. the issue is we both have our own one man flip overs.

do we tow both one behind the other. or do(can) you make a Smitty style sled to stack them one over the other.

would love some ideas and help on this.
Either way will work! If you tow both, you just need to rig up tow bars, and a hitch arrangement on one end of a flip over!! Smitty sleds don't cost much to build and may be simpler in the long run! Good luck!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2013, 12:27 PM »
tow bar on first sled w/eye bolt in rear ...eye bolt on front of second sled  w/chain in between
&feature=youtu.be
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2013, 12:29 PM »
One behind the other seems to be the way to go, if you stack them, your odds of them falling over on uneven ground goes way up!

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2013, 01:05 PM »
tow bar on first sled w/eye bolt in rear ...eye bolt on front of second sled  w/chain in between
&feature=youtu.be

this is a great idea. thank you. i am going to make these for sure as well as his bucket ideat.

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2013, 01:50 PM »
I do it all the time (pulling 2 one man shacks with 1 snowmobile/atv) and keep it really simple.  Pull one on a short rope and the other on a long rope.  Only do this on lake runs (no trails or portages) and have had ZERO problems.  Been doing this for as long as I can remember and can't find a reason to make it more complicated ??

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2013, 03:01 PM »
I do it all the time (pulling 2 one man shacks with 1 snowmobile/atv) and keep it really simple.  Pull one on a short rope and the other on a long rope.  Only do this on lake runs (no trails or portages) and have had ZERO problems.  Been doing this for as long as I can remember and can't find a reason to make it more complicated ??
So a Short rope works ok for one sled? Doesn't the sled run into the Snowmobile or AT when you stop? I guess if you are going slow enough just before stopping it would work.
<===Lefty===

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2013, 03:12 PM »
to me using a rope is a accident waiting to happen. if it was me I would put a solid hitch on each house and a rear hitch receiver on one so the other could be hooked to that. i would be helpful if you had posted what brand and model house you guys have. Clam and otter both make nice hitches and otter has a rear hitch receiver too. Digger anchor company also make a nice hitch and rear hitch receiver. any of these brands can be fitted to most house out there today.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2013, 05:43 PM »
Big eye bolt on the rear of the first sled with a good sized plate on both sides to keep from pulling out of or going through the tub on that sled.
Regular solid mount from rear sled to front sled eye bolt.

Do not stack as they will tip over in uneven terrain.

This is ho we do it here.  ;)2

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2013, 02:59 PM »
So a better question now is.

Should I not travel from home to the ice pulling my portable?
as from where i would be starting from i can take snowmobile trails all over the place to many lakes to fish.

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2013, 03:12 PM »
Rigged the way Drifter_016 has his should present no problems as long as you take it easy and watch your load! IMHO!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2013, 11:45 AM »
So a Short rope works ok for one sled? Doesn't the sled run into the Snowmobile or AT when you stop? I guess if you are going slow enough just before stopping it would work.

To elaborate on how I run the ropes:

I'm usually pulling a clam scout and a clam pro.  I'll put a carabiner on the stock pull rope of the pro and hook that carabiner to the hitch of the snomobile.  Then I'll take a long braided rope with a carabiner on each end, one carabiner hooked to the pull rope of the scout and the other carabiner hooked to the snomobile.  Just need to make sure the rope is long enough to get the second sled a couple feet behind the first sled.  Just be sure to take off and slow down slowly.  Be smart and there's no problem, never had a single issue pulling houses this way.

I've used tow bars as well but I've been just using ropes for over 5 years now.  Not because I'm cheap or lazy, but because I like to move spots a lot and hole hope with my house, that's the point of using small 1 man houses... mobility.  And having a tow bar on there just didn't do it for me.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I do this for lake travel.  I didn't notice the OP was wanting to use it snowmobile trails, that's my bad.  If the trail is narrow, hilly, or lots of sharp turns... I would recommend a rigid tow bar for sure.  But if it's a straight trail or lake travel, no way am I using a tow bar.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2013, 02:40 PM »
So a better question now is.

Should I not travel from home to the ice pulling my portable?
as from where i would be starting from i can take snowmobile trails all over the place to many lakes to fish.

I leave from my driveway 95% of the time unless fishing a further away lake.
Drive on snowmobile trails and the roads.
They are covered with snow from late October until sometime in April.
I start trailering then. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.